The immigration problem

Clem72

Small Companys certainly can't afford to pay off anyone. I worked one summer at Kenwood Country Club on the golf course, at least twice that summer immigration made raids on the clubs kitchen and housekeeping staff. You would see them​ running across the golf course like the Benny Hill show. And that would be over 15 to 30 people, you just didn't see that for the last 30 years until recently.

Christ, that brings back some memories. "Migra! Migra! Andale!"

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I ran a division of Denison Landscaping, I had 80 to 100 employees under me, never once did INS come in and check paperwork, and he had over 500 employees from South of the border.

since I live just up the street and pass by Denison's everyday I've wondered how many of their Mexicans were 'legal' ....

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I ran a division of Denison Landscaping, I had 80 to 100 employees under me, never once did INS come in and check paperwork,

I was the assistant production foreman for WH Boyer/Glenwood Gardens back in the late 70s and early 80s. I had about 40 folks under me during the work season and only three of them were "immigrants"...hiill folk from a mountain holler outside of Gastonia, NC. LOL. Could barely understand a word they said but they sure did work hard.

I stopped by the place last summer to see if it was still there and anyone I knew was too. Yep..my old partner in crime, my old boss, was still there. But it was immediately obvious - and he confirmed - that now nearly 100% of the employee laborers and general foreman were Latinos in the country on green cards or work visas. From 0% to 100% in 40 years. He said he couldn't hire neighborhood "white" kids that would work like they used to back in the old days, even if he paid them twice as much. Sad.

Sapidus

I was the assistant production foreman for WH Boyer/Glenwood Gardens back in the late 70s and early 80s. I had about 40 folks under me during the work season and only three of them were "immigrants"...hiill folk from a mountain holler outside of Gastonia, NC. LOL. Could barely understand a word they said but they sure did work hard.

I stopped by the place last summer to see if it was still there and anyone I knew was too. Yep..my old partner in crime, my old boss, was still there. But it was immediately obvious - and he confirmed - that now nearly 100% of the employee laborers and general foreman were Latinos in the country on green cards or work visas. From 0% to 100% in 40 years. He said he couldn't hire neighborhood "white" kids that would work like they used to back in the old days, even if he paid them twice as much. Sad.

Great. So you were being obtuse earlier.

Well now can we can get to an actual discussion of what the options are?

If you can't hire americans for even twice the price and we stop the influx of immigrants what solutions are we left with?

black dog

Free America
since I live just up the street and pass by Denison's everyday I've wondered how many of their Mexicans were 'legal' ....

The vast amount of the seasonal help are brought in every spring with the H2b worker program, that's why all the houses on John's growing farms are full of workers spring,summer and fall. They work for nine months and go home.
John owns many homes for the guest workers from Fort Wash to Brandywine at the Bull Run Nursery and his farms in between them.
Most of his Spanish help that works year round have been with him along time.
He has paid for many employees to become citizens.
And he owns a house in Puebla, Mexico that is used for a few weeks every winter to interview prospective employee's. His middle son Josh is fluent in Spanish and runs all of that.

black dog

Free America

If you can't hire americans for even twice the price and we stop the influx of immigrants what solutions are we left with?

I own a small business and I have never had anyone apply for a job but white folks.
Not a legal or illegal Latino has ever darken my doorway.
But I do have a tattooed single mom.. does that count ????

black dog

Free America

And I will add this, John has employees not just from Mexico but Belizeans, Hondurans, Guatemalans, Africans and a host of folks from other countries.
And they all work together in Harmony, it amazed me on a daily basis.

black dog

Free America

Obtuse..... That word seems to get used by a few other folks around here.....
Hummmmmmm.....

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Mad that you don't have any answers but love to spout off. Interesting. Maybe you could be Trump's next Press Secretary

oooo. Such a zinger...or not. Your screen names continually change; your rhetorical skills, notsomuch... And not mad bro. You'd never be worth it. ;-)

Fundamentally, the basic premise of your initial post was, in it's entirely' utter crap. You started right off with a straw man and a false dilemma.

Last edited:

stgislander

PREMO Member
Mad that you don't have any answers but love to spout off. Interesting. Maybe you could be Trump's next Press Secretary

Oh dear Lord... talk about Must See TV. Those would be some fun to watch press conferences for sure.

Sapidus

oooo. Such a zinger...or not. Your screen names continually change; your rhetorical skills, notsomuch... And not mad bro. You'd never be worth it. ;-)

Fundamentally, the basic premise of your initial post was, in it's entirely' utter crap. You started right off with a straw man and a false dilemma.

These are jobs Americans don't want

Large corporations rely on this cheap labor to provide their product at low costs

If we stop immigration these jobs willl have to offer more money and workplace protections

The price of chicken ( the product in the article) will rise.

How is it possible to employ Americans in these jobs and still enjoy the low costs of products Americans have become used to?

Or is it not possible to do both?

Please read the article, then read my post. Feel free to show me where any of it was a straw man argument.

The employer is quoted as saying we couldn't keep Americans at these jobs so we looked for another source. They hired legal immigrants. They didn't stay. They then hired illegal immigrants.

You said yourself that your buddy cant keep Americans at these jobs for even double the hourly wage.

Where did i get anything wrong?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
T

If we stop immigration

There it is. Now..link to something..anything..that indicates that the US government plans to stop immigration.

The laborers working for my former company were all legally here. And he apparently has no difficulty hiring them either.

Last edited:

Sapidus

There it is. Now..link to something..anything..that indicates that the US government plans to stop immigration.

The laborers working for my former company were all legally here. And he apparently has no difficulty hiring them either.

All you do is move the goal post everytime.

I wil save my breath for someone who has something to contribute.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
All you do is move the goal post everytime.

I wil save my breath for someone who has something to contribute.

Ha ha haa! What a puss. Got nailed for your nonsense..and pulled the rip cord immediately.

link to something..anything..that indicates that the US government plans to stop immigration.