The Tides Restaurant - Try It!!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I have a girlfriend coming for a visit on the weekend of March 11th and we are looking for something to do. Ladies - - - what say you?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
RoseRed said:
I have a girlfriend coming for a visit on the weekend of March 11th and we are looking for something to do. Ladies - - - what say you?

Don't know. The task master wants help finishing the downstairs in March.

S

Scaratica

Tides

I feel sorry for the man who owns the Tides.Always having to struggle with the management team

Fred Hoeck

Why should our choice of restaurants be dictated by outsiders who are trying to strech their "per diem"? We who live and pay our taxes in St. Mary's County deserve to have decent restaurants. If the people we allow to visit want to eat a decent meal, they can use their "per diem" to supplement what they would normally pay for their meal at home.
Only got to the original Tides once, was very good. I think their problem was lack of advertising. New chef wants it to be like Ruth's Chris. Well, then get a Ruth's Chris here. No matter what Sean Hannity says, Ruth's Chis is overrated.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
Kirk said:
I have been watching the posts here as I frequently travel to Lex Pk working for one of the Defense Contractors. I decided to post because I think it is time the Tides gets its due compliment.

I went there a few times before the "big change" . Always thought they were trying to be something they weren't. An upscale, fine dining restaurant. The food was fair, at best. Honestly, I did not know what half the stuff on the menu was anyway, so I didn't eat it. Way too expensive for the area and especially with so many per diem travellers.

Have been twice since the change.
I hope they keep those big martini glasses full of colored water off the bar. I don't miss them at all.
The menu is great! Very fitting and appetizing for the travelling person and the locals as well. Food so far is very good. The prices are appropriate for the menu. Still above what per diem folks are given but reasonable especially given how nice of a place it is.

The staff at the Tides has always "tried" to be very nice. They "are" very nice and present themselves well. Friendly, outgoing, attractive and respectful group of Professionals.

I think the Tides is a nice place. I've eaten at many other local places and the food is bad, the establishments are dirty, some of them smell like wet mops and for the most part I had given in to KFC and a movie in my room. When you travel to a place that is as "lively" as Lexington Park the Tides is a great place to sit and eat and or drink for a while.

Everyone should go there a couple of more times. "Once is never enough" Check it out for yourself and don't listen to all of the moaners here.
Where are you traveling from, Kirk?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Fred Hoeck said:
Ruth's Chris
Ruth's Chris is a steakhouse, not a schmincy lamb with artistically drizzled sauce garnished with foie gras place.

Looking at the Tides menu and the comments on here, I would say that the problem wasn't the food or the atmosphere or even the prices - it was the crappy attitude of the management, which boiled over onto the cooks and waitstaff.

When the manager is a jerk, the restaurant will not attract top employees. True professionals who are good at what they do are NOT going to put up with some friggin' infantile nutjob screaming and yelling at them in front of customers. And if the service is second-string, there goes your "fine dining" label.

rush

Gourmand
:popcorn: I definetly agree with you.Were is the resemblance to a Ruth Chris,from their present menu-sizzling aged steaks or lots of side choices.
Fred Hoeck said:
Why should our choice of restaurants be dictated by outsiders who are trying to strech their "per diem"? We who live and pay our taxes in St. Mary's County deserve to have decent restaurants. If the people we allow to visit want to eat a decent meal, they can use their "per diem" to supplement what they would normally pay for their meal at home.
Only got to the original Tides once, was very good. I think their problem was lack of advertising. New chef wants it to be like Ruth's Chris. Well, then get a Ruth's Chris here. No matter what Sean Hannity says, Ruth's Chis is overrated.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I've been back since they've changed management and the menu. It's still no big deal. I had a crabcake sandwich with a side of grazing greens. The crabcake was good, but unremarkable. The side of salad was just fancy schmancy field greens. Morgie had some funky cheese and potato tortilla thingy, but she said her salad was good. For both of us, about $30, excluding the tip.

I was quite annoyed that we didn't have a bread plate. We had bread crumbs all over the place.

rush

Gourmand
Was there this past friday,Istayed at the bar and ordered the martini's and stayed away from the food or apps.

morganj614

elaine said:
I've been back since they've changed management and the menu. It's still no big deal. I had a crabcake sandwich with a side of grazing greens. The crabcake was good, but unremarkable. The side of salad was just fancy schmancy field greens. Morgie had some funky cheese and potato tortilla thingy, but she said her salad was good. For both of us, about $30, excluding the tip.
I was quite annoyed that we didn't have a bread plate. We had bread crumbs all over the place.

I don't think they could do too much to screw up a salad but it looked like your field greens salad was fresh from the pasture. I did like the atmosphere. I prefer Elaines idea of the martini/cigar bar instead of the restaurant.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
morganj614 said:
I prefer Elaines idea of the martini/cigar bar instead of the restaurant.
I'll tell you what I would do if I were going to open a restaurant:

It would have dark wood throughout, and comfy leather club chairs. There color scheme would be deep green and gold to compliment the wood and add to the cozy, exclusive atmosphere.

There would be a massive bar, separate from the dining room, with table seating. The wall separating the dining room from the bar would have a fireplace built in so both sides could enjoy. And this would be a real wood-burning fireplace, not some yuppie gas imposter.

The bar would welcome cigar smokers, and we'd have heavy cigar ashtrays to accommodate them.

The feel would be casual and comfortable, yet elegant. Meat and seafood would be the menu stars, but we'd also have good sandwiches and salads available for lunch or dinner. And by "good" sandwiches and salads, I mean prime rib open-faced on homemade whole grain bread, Salade Nicoise with smoked trout - that sort of thing.

There would not be a Buffalo wing or cheese stick on my menu. Appetizer-noshing would be encouraged with selections such as these fabulous lobster mashed potatoes that Wench and I had the other night, mini crabcakes, filet tips on baguette slices, tiger shrimp with garlic remoulade - lots of finger foods that aren't messy.

We would carry many different top-shelf liquors, and have at least 10 premium beers on tap. If you are a regular, we would be happy to stock your favorite brand.

Our servers would be impeccable - friendly, but not familiar. Drink filling would be a priority, because I can forgive a slow kitchen but not an empty glass.

Elaine? What else?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
vraiblonde said:
Elaine? What else?

I can't give away all my secrets. If I hit the lottery tomorrow, I may open up a restaurant just to show 'em how it's done...but you're on the right track.

I will add, though...there will be no whining about smoke. If you don't like it, go to Applebee's or The Tides.