Thoughts on underage drinking?

inkah

Do you think it's Acceptable for a parent to buy a minor (under 21) alcohol?

Here is an Example.

17-year-old kid is graduating from high school, parents buy kid and kids friends. Alcohol to drink in their home. Do you think that is acceptable?

No. Idiots.

fromchaptico

I have no problem with parents allowing their own children to consume alcohol at home, but allowing someone else's underage kids to drink at your home seems insane to me. Regardless of whether the other parents said it was okay, it is illegal, and if something goes wrong, you are going to be in a whole lot of trouble. It isn't worth it.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Thats a BS excuse to be lazy IMHO. The availability of ILLEGAL alchohol would be severely curtailed if fewer people believed this BS. WHERE IS THE "somewhere else". That most teens do their drinking? At the home of some parent that would rather be best buddies than parents. Would some kids still drink, probably, but a lot less would if their friends parnets werent offering to provide it for them

Have you ever met a 16/17/18 yr old? I had a few friends growing up who's parents allowed them to drink at home every once in awhile, and I definitely drank under age, but I can't think of one instance where my friends' parents provided for us to party with. Teens are creative. They will find alcohol and they will drink it. The only time I ever drank with other adults when I was underage were at family functions. And I came from a family that monitored all of us kids pretty closely in regards to partying and doing stupid teen chit. We had a pretty healthy relationship with our parents and still, all us kids still managed to get a hold of it. Its not lazy, you just can't follow your teen 24/7. Or maybe you think you have your helicopter license...

Yes, despite the best intention of parents and despite their rules put in place there will always be teens who make bad decisions and some will die or be forever maimed by their bad decisions, but for the life of me I can't figure how in the heck does one take that as an excuse to stop mentoring or parenting?

SoMDGirl42

I graduated HS, got married and had a baby before I was allowed to drink legally. Good thing I wasn't a drinker, and still rarely drink :lol:

I don't think kids under age should be drinking, but they will anyway. My bebe daddy started drinking at age 9 when all his older brothers and sisters thought it was cute to get him drunk and watch him stumble around. 30 years later and he's still a huge alcoholic and has been since he was 13. His first stint in rehab was age 16. Yeah, that was really nice of them to get him addicted at such a young age. :yay:

I wish more kids understood the definition of a binge drinker. There are future alcoholics born everyday when they think it's so fun to spend their teenage years staying drunk every weekend.

At 16, kids don't realize what the lasting effects will be on some of their friends. At least 1 or 2 of a group will become addicts, whether it be alcohol, pills, or drugs. I wonder if they knew it would be them in 20 years if they would still pick up that bottle and drink it for a good time today, a hang over tomorrow and a life time of regrets.

Foxhound

Finishing last
Many countries allow "underage" drinking. Most of them seem to have fewer problems with misuse of alcohol. The social stigma of being a drunk in many countries keeps most from drinking irresponsibly.

I was drinking long before I was of legal age to drink. I must admit however I used other mood altering chemicals since they were easier to acquire. My parents were in no way neglectful of discipline, or uninvolved in my life. If you have ever been a teenager you know if you want to do something, you will find a way to do it. It is more important to set a good example and let your children see what responsible consumption is.

If a parent wants to take the time and put forth the effort to teach their own child about alcohol and it's effects, by all means. If they are intelligent and responsible, they will have just raised a responsible intelligent adult who has an understanding of its effects. If they just want to be ignorant and watch their child get wasted, we can only hope they get eliminated from the gene pool before they propagate, and create more modern neanderthals that would possibly endanger others who have learned to live with the civilized, upright walking, with a little consideration.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Their own kids alcohol. I have no problem with this.
When we lived in Europe I would see little kids buying wine for the family dinner. The European kids thought Americans were absolute idiots for binge drinking.
Like anything else the more you take the novelty out of something the fater it becomes boring.

:buddies:

Anybody who throws a party for their kids AND under aged friends deserves to be fined and arrested.

Exactly. The more exposed you are to alcohol as a kid means the less novelty there is in it as an adult and less likely you are to binge drink.

I agree, your child, fine, other folks kids is a no go.

BernieP

Resident PIA

Here is an Example.

17-year-old kid is graduating from high school, parents buy kid and kids friends. Alcohol to drink in their home. Do you think that is acceptable?

Hell NO!!! :cds: Not just isn't it acceptable, it's freaking stupid.

I understand the though that goes behind this but in reality they are opening themselves up for all kids of legal and finacial problems - if they don't get arrested they could still get sued.

Would I offer my child A beer or a glass of wine in the privacy of our home, yes. But there would be no "adult beverages" provided for a party of any sort whether it was on our property or off.
It's one thing to say to your child, I think you are ready to have a cold beer, but this is how we do it responsibly.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Nope, its still illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to consume alcohol, no matter where. If said parents get caught they can get fined and or arrested no?

That is true. I've been to parties where there was under-age drinking, allowed by the adults. The condition was a 'keys are locked up when you get here' kinda thing; and you spent the night, unless arrangements were made to have a parent pick you and/or your car up. No questions asked.
Under aged kids are gonna find a way to drink. IMO, it is better if there are responsible parents who will allow it but who will also forbid driving by all minors; "Responsible parents" being a relative term.

terbear1225

Have you ever met a 16/17/18 yr old? I had a few friends growing up who's parents allowed them to drink at home every once in awhile, and I definitely drank under age, but I can't think of one instance where my friends' parents provided for us to party with. Teens are creative. They will find alcohol and they will drink it. The only time I ever drank with other adults when I was underage were at family functions. And I came from a family that monitored all of us kids pretty closely in regards to partying and doing stupid teen chit. We had a pretty healthy relationship with our parents and still, all us kids still managed to get a hold of it. Its not lazy, you just can't follow your teen 24/7. Or maybe you think you have your helicopter license...

ummm, been around here much? I work with teens, and the vast majority of them that drink do so at parties where someone's parent has purchased the alchohol. if the parents weren't buying it, it would be a lot harder for them to drink. not impossible, but definitely harder.

dustin

UAIOE
Path to long term culture change of alcohol misuse/abuse:

1) remove drinking age (Deglamorizes)

2) Make convicted DUI/DWI and any alcohol related incident penalties extremely harsh (ie jail time, long term community service w/ probation, automatic loss of driver's license, steep fines, loss of health care coverage for incidents).

xobxdoc

Do you think it is acceptable for the govt to send a minor(18) off to war so he has the chance to die for his country but that same country won't allow that individual buy and consume a beer because they are concerned about his health??
This argument carries a lot more weight for those individuals that actually serve.
I have been out for a while now but are 18 year olds aloud to drink in the clubs on base?

BernieP

Resident PIA
Many countries allow "underage" drinking. Most of them seem to have fewer problems with misuse of alcohol. The social stigma of being a drunk in many countries keeps most from drinking irresponsibly.

YOur information is not correct. Spent some time in Germany and Austria not to long ago and teenage / young adult drinking is a big problem. Basically beer but with little else to do they drink, start early in the day and get lit.
More Austria than Germany I believe. But talked with people in both countries and was shocked. It's not a problem they like to advertise (just like we play down the drug problem here).

MarieB

YOur information is not correct. Spent some time in Germany and Austria not to long ago and teenage / young adult drinking is a big problem. Basically beer but with little else to do they drink, start early in the day and get lit.
More Austria than Germany I believe. But talked with people in both countries and was shocked. It's not a problem they like to advertise (just like we play down the drug problem here).

And the UK

If it was like that, then it has changed

lucky_bee

RBF expert
ummm, been around here much? I work with teens, and the vast majority of them that drink do so at parties where someone's parent has purchased the alchohol. if the parents weren't buying it, it would be a lot harder for them to drink. not impossible, but definitely harder.

Actually, I'm from New England and I can say for sure the attitude with alcohol is much more lax around here...layed back in general in the south. You'll find parents supplying alcohol to their kids' parties all over. That's why it's great to be involved with your kids and their friends so you know the parents of those friends as well, and can monitor those types of parties. But a lot of those parties involve kids who's parents don't care about their drinking and they party with other kids who's parents don't care about their drinking.

Of course I'd rather be making that decision for my kid whether they can drink at a graduation party or not. Some kind of combined effort between myself and the party-throwing adult to understand what the kids can and can't do is something I could live with as well. That's why it's important to familiarize yourself with your kids' friends and their parents. But again, you can't monitor everything, and teens will find alcohol whether you supply it or not. Just wait until they get to college...

drivingdaisy

I could be wrong, but I don't think I went to parties in high school where parents were supplying the alcohol. When we drank it was at a beach, in a field, or someone's parents were out of town. Older friends or siblings or fake IDs usually provided the alcohol. I think one of my friend's parents let us drink in the basement on "special occasions" but you had to spend the night, they had to know the kids, and they weren't providing us with the alcohol. (Or maybe this was after high school, I can't remember) I realize they could still have gotten in trouble. But really my point is I can't remember parents providing it for other children.

After high school a lot of my friends parents didn't care if we drank. They didn't buy us alcohol, but they weren't monitoring what we were doing anymore. We were legally adults and just let us try and figure things out on our own.

Granted all this was over ten years ago so who knows what is going on now.

Rt235

Here is an Example.

Nope..will never happen with my kids in my house until they are 21!!