Thoughts on underage drinking?

Wenchy

Hot Flash
Nope..will never happen with my kids in my house until they are 21!!

How can you put an age on this?

I think about putting my only son on an aircraft (at the age of 18) carrier to Afghanistan and getting him back in a casket.

I can let him and his friends drink in my home (with parent's permission) and know they are safe.

I just want to keep them safe...with other parents in the know how.

Ugh!

acommondisaster

I think about putting my only son on an aircraft (at the age of 18) carrier to Afghanistan and getting him back in a casket.

I can let him and his friends drink in my home (with parent's permission) and know they are safe.

Ugh!

My son's 30 and I couldnt stand the thought of putting him on an aircraft carrier to Afghanistan and getting him back in a casket.

One doesn't have anything to do with the other, so why mix them together?

Don't like the drinking age? Start a campaign to change it. If you are providing alcohol to minors, why stop there? You could at least get them some good pot.

mamatutu

mama to two

I think about putting my only son on an aircraft carrier to Afghanistan and getting him back in a casket.

Ugh!

Route 235 acts like he can control his children until they are 21. Welcome to the real world, guy. I can't even imagine the stress of having a child in the military today being sent to senseless wars. I grew up in a senseless war known as Viet Nam. I was so glad that their was not a draft in my children's generation. I, also, think that anyone that volunteers today is a true hero, and a patriot, and want to thank each and everyone of them. I agree with you that children can be given alcohol in their own home. I never provided alcohol to other children, but there were times when I didn't know alcohol was brought into my home, when their friends were over. When my children were under age, or when they were of age, I always took the car keys of any children that were in my house; put in a box and went to bed with me. The rule was you spend the night and I will give the keys back in the morning. I have to sleep sometime, too, and how would I know who sneaked in alcohol, or who left in the middle of the night, otherwise. That is the problem; you want to give your teens space, but you know you need to monitor, also. So, you do the best you can, and hope for the best.

My children's friends loved me, however, because I made some awesome snacks! That is how I infiltrated! :lol:

Last edited:

Rt235

Ugh!

My house, my kids, my rules.
Your kids come here, same rule applies.
I know they are safe while they are here and when they drive home: no DUI or alcohol related accident.
Age limit gives the kids more time to "reason" and learn to be responsible and make smart choices, not smart-arse ones!
I can not protect them 24/7. I can only encourage then to follow the rules of lifes' game and to survive a very long time.

I am so very sorry you lost your son. We have lost many wonderful young men and women to that war. You have my deepest sympathy.

Rt235

Route 235 acts like he can control his children until they are 21. Welcome to the real world, guy. I can't even imagine the stress of having a child in the military today being sent to senseless wars. I didn't know you had a son in the military that you are worrying about. I agree with you that children can be given alcohol in their own home. I never provided alcohol to other children, but there were times when I didn't know alcohol was brought into my home, when their friends were over. When my children were under age, or when they were of age, I always took the car keys of any children that were in my house; put in a box and went to bed with me. The rule was you spend the night and I will give the keys back in the morning. I have to sleep sometime, too, and how would I know who sneaked in alcohol, or who left in the middle of the night, otherwise. That is the problem; you want to give your teens space, but you know you need to monitor, also. So, you do the best you can, and hope for the best. My children's friends loved me, however, because I made some awesome snacks! That is how I infiltrated! :lol:

Hey mamakookooooooo.......

MY house, my rules, no underage drinking. You dont like it, no problem.
I can control what goes on in my house and what is consumed and by whom.
My kids know the rules and are OK with them! Actually it provides a good excuse not to have booze at pool parties or during summer bon-fires and the parties are a lot nicer as a result! And the kids have a fun time!

What you do with your kids in your house is your business, and you accept the consequences for those choices. You are supposed to be the adult, not their buddy.

Wenchy

Hot Flash
My son's 30 and I couldnt stand the thought of putting him on an aircraft carrier to Afghanistan and getting him back in a casket.

One doesn't have anything to do with the other, so why mix them together?

Don't like the drinking age? Start a campaign to change it. If you are providing alcohol to minors, why stop there? You could at least get them some good pot.

True. I still see the twists and turns.

Pot? :lmao:

You have any?

Hank

my war
Route 235 acts like he can control his children until they are 21. Welcome to the real world, guy. I can't even imagine the stress of having a child in the military today being sent to senseless wars. I grew up in a senseless war known as Viet Nam. I was so glad that their was not a draft in my children's generation. I, also, think that anyone that volunteers today is a true hero, and a patriot, and want to thank each and everyone of them. I agree with you that children can be given alcohol in their own home. I never provided alcohol to other children, but there were times when I didn't know alcohol was brought into my home, when their friends were over. When my children were under age, or when they were of age, I always took the car keys of any children that were in my house; put in a box and went to bed with me. The rule was you spend the night and I will give the keys back in the morning. I have to sleep sometime, too, and how would I know who sneaked in alcohol, or who left in the middle of the night, otherwise. That is the problem; you want to give your teens space, but you know you need to monitor, also. So, you do the best you can, and hope for the best.

My children's friends loved me, however, because I made some awesome snacks! That is how I infiltrated! :lol:

I, I, I, I, I, I..... :blahblah:

DEEKAYPEE8569

Do you think it is acceptable for the govt to send a minor(18) off to war so he has the chance to die for his country but that same country won't allow that individual buy and consume a beer because they are concerned about his health??

I, probably like many others, have known Military members between 18 and not-quite-yet-21; and I have had a similar or exact same thought. I even asked one young sailor, "You mean you can go into a forward area with the risk of being maimed or worse; but you can't go to the enlisted club and have a beer?" "Something's wrong....."
"Yeah....." with a /:-\ grin and a shrug was the reply.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I, probably like many others, have known Military members between 18 and not-quite-yet-21; and I have had a similar or exact same thought. I even asked one young sailor, "You mean you can go into a forward area with the risk of being maimed or worse; but you can't go to the enlisted club and have a beer?" "Something's wrong....."
"Yeah....." with a /:-\ grin and a shrug was the reply.

I'm seem to remember back in '81 one of my shipmates from Florida telling me that Florida had a two-tiered drinking. It was 21 unless the person had a military ID, then it was 18. Has anyone heard of that?

ZARA

I'm seem to remember back in '81 one of my shipmates from Florida telling me that Florida had a two-tiered drinking. It was 21 unless the person had a military ID, then it was 18. Has anyone heard of that?

I lived in Florida for 10 yrs and never heard of this.

DEEKAYPEE8569

As I eluded to before, that makes sense. An 18 year old can be shipped off to a hot zone but can't have a beer? Wanna bet?

We seen to have wandered from the real purpose of this tred; MY fault, I guess. IMO, underage drinking is not necessarily "okay" but if supervised by responsible adults; responsible being the key word; it's better than kids going to parties and the parents worrying about wether or not they come home. If there is notification of some sort; ie; 'there will be alcohol at our party; all who attend WILL surrender their keys and to avoid any problems, spend the night regardless of wether they drink or not,' is a somewhat adequate disclaimer. :shrug:

Last edited:

Wenchy

Hot Flash
As I eluded to before, that makes sense. An 18 year old can be shipped off to a hot zone but can't have a beer? Wanna bet?

We seen to have wandered from the real purpose of this tred; MY fault, I guess. IMO, underage drinking is not necessarily "okay" but if supervised by responsible adults; responsible being the key word; it's better than kids going to parties and the parents worrying about wether or not they come home. If there is notification of some sort; ie; 'there will be alcohol at our party; all who attend WILL surrender their keys and to avoid any problems, spend the night regardless of wether they drink or not,' is a somewhat adequate disclaimer. :shrug:

You are usually a dunderhead and you still can't spell.

You make sense here.

The kids are going to do it...period. Do I turn a blind eye? No, as a parent I will confiscate keys and make sure they are okay...with the parent's permission (and hopefully, company)

The government changed the definition of underaged years ago.

18 was when I lost it. 17? We still did field parties and risked our lives.

Forever young.

DEEKAYPEE8569

You are usually a dunderhead and you still can't spell.

I beg your pardon.....Sweetheart, I am one of the betterer spellererz here.
:snort:

You make sense here.
See? Even a "dunderhead" can come up with a good'n evernow'nthen.

The kids are going to do it...period. Do I turn a blind eye? No, as a parent I will confiscate keys and make sure they are okay...with the parent's permission (and hopefully, company)

Forever young.[/QUOTE]

Wenchy

Hot Flash
I beg your pardon.....Sweetheart, I am one of the betterer spellererz here.
:snort:

See? Even a "dunderhead" can come up with a good'n evernow'nthen.

Forever young.

One day you might learn to quote. :huggy:

Wenchy

Hot Flash
One day you might learn to quote. :huggy:

I am so sorry for saying this. The forums can bring out the worst in us.

I remember when I was 6 months pregnant with my first.

The ultrasound showed what you were born with. My mom told me "God will give you nothing you can't handle".

I couldn't handle it and had a perfect baby.

My sister went on to having twin boys. I couldn't handle that either.

I'm learning to be kinder. I am sorry we have been so mean to you.

Hydrocephalus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DEEKAYPEE8569

I am so sorry for saying this. The forums can bring out the worst in us.

I remember when I was 6 months pregnant with my first.

The ultrasound showed what you were born with. My mom told me "God will give you nothing you can't handle".

I couldn't handle it and had a perfect baby.

My sister went on to having twin boys. I couldn't handle that either.

I'm learning to be kinder. I am sorry we have been so mean to you.

Hydrocephalus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My apologies for sounding like a wank, but I accept your apology. I mean, I didn't see :sarcasm: in your post. You mean you went back through and found that I posted about my medical "affliction?" Other than the visible scars; of which are many; and my short-tem memory deficit, no one other than an M.D. can tell.

Wenchy

Hot Flash
My apologies for sounding like a wank, but I accept your apology. I mean, I didn't see :sarcasm: in your post. You mean you went back through and found that I posted about my medical "affliction?" Other than the visible scars; of which are many; and my short-tem memory deficit, no one other than an M.D. can tell.

Yes. You do sound like a doofus, and I am horrible to not take up for you and laugh when people poke fun at you.

Karma is a bitch and so is menopause.