Tilted

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm really jerking your chain. :razz: Tilted comes across as one of those most humble people. He's smart and wise; which means he knows how to govern his smarts.

And you got all of this about a complete stranger from reading a few of his posts?

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
It used to be all silliness and infighting. Now it's all politics and crap like that. We still get good traffic, but you're right that not as many people enjoy politics as enjoyed the fighting. A ton of lurkers now who are reading - or at least visiting the pages - but not participating.

I prefer to skulk as well as lurk. Kind of more bang for your buck.

SamSpade

I just know I miss the guy - about the only complaint I *ever* had about him was he used 100 words when 10 would suffice.

But he was always reasonable and fair, and anyone who got upset with him or called him a moron usually wound up looking stupid by the arrival of simple reality.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I just know I miss the guy - about the only complaint I *ever* had about him was he used 100 words when 10 would suffice.

But he was always reasonable and fair, and anyone who got upset with him or called him a moron usually wound up looking stupid by the arrival of simple reality.

Did anyone ever do that, try to pick a fight with Tilted? I don't recall him ever being a target for the tard brigade.

officeguy

It used to be all silliness and infighting. Now it's all politics and crap like that. We still get good traffic, but you're right that not as many people enjoy politics as enjoyed the fighting. A ton of lurkers now who are reading - or at least visiting the pages - but not participating.

Boot the trolls and you'll start to see discussions about 'Life in Southern Maryland' re-emerge.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Boot the trolls and you'll start to see discussions about 'Life in Southern Maryland' re-emerge.

I don't understand the correlation. Are you saying that if there were no dissenting opinions, people would post more? How does that work?

officeguy

I don't understand the correlation. Are you saying that if there were no dissenting opinions, people would post more? How does that work?

It's not about dissenting opinions. About 1/2 of the posting volume on this site is 5 different regulars calling each other poopyheads. Even threads that start with some local content quickly degrade into troll-fights without any information content or exchange of ideas. Its easy enough to tell, the moment posts only address the person of the other poster, not what he or she has to contribute, the thread has lost its usefulness.

Newbie: I like apples. Where can I buy good apples around here.
P2: The amish farmers market in Charlotte Hall has good apples.
P3: The amish dont pay taxes and beat their wives.
P4: You obama-loving liberal piece of #### that came on the short bus......
Newbie: Where would I find this farmers market ?
P3: Puppies, they also sell puppies.
P4: You obama-loving liberal piece of #### that came on the short bus.......

There is just no point to coming here for information. If the political rancor was limited to the politics forum it would be one thing, but the trolls can't help themselves and have to comment on every thread and bring their troll-fights with them. Do away with trolls and you will start to see regular people show up again.

I take blame for Tilted not posting. :ohwell: I remember posting this, and he dropped out of sight just about the same time.
http://forums.somd.com/threads/313540-SOMD-Primary?p=5694348&viewfull=1#post5694348

I tend to agree with OfficeGuy. His comments are exactly why I haven't been posting much at all lately. It's a handful of posters basically taking over the entire forum with political bashing and name calling. And I totally agree that if a non-political or fun thread is started, it's either pretty much ignored or degrades into trash talk in no time.

We used to have some really good, fun, everyone-involved posting. Not worth my time anymore. There is far more to life than politics and copy/paste posting.

Restitution

I tend to agree with OfficeGuy. His comments are exactly why I haven't been posting much at all lately. It's a handful of posters basically taking over the entire forum with political bashing and name calling. And I totally agree that if a non-political or fun thread is started, it's either pretty much ignored or degrades into trash talk in no time.

We used to have some really good, fun, everyone-involved posting. Not worth my time anymore. There is far more to life than politics and copy/paste posting.

Hmmmmm....

A good read: http://forums.somd.com/threads/318869-Cut-and-Paste-Forum

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Well, today I got rid of one of them, anyway.

I remember back in the day when I couldn't sleep or even leave my computer without coming back to a 20-page flame war filled with obscenities and personal attacks, so this is nothing new. It's actually a lot tamer now with the trash talk.

I'm also not sure why there's such heartburn over copy/pasting a news story or op-ed. People from all political persuasions do it in here all the time, including with local news. They are simply putting the information out there; how or if you respond to it is up to you. NHB takes a beating almost every single day simply because he posts opinion articles that "trigger" the Righties. They attack him like he personally wrote the piece, when all he did was throw it out there. So who should get banned: NHB for posting an alternate opinion, or the people who jump all over him and call him names?

As far as politics taking over, everyone is free to post about any topic they choose. The problem is that people want to just read and be entertained, but not have to put forth any effort to start a topic. I can't force people to post and be interesting. I post about my travels and very seldom does anyone join in that thread, so clearly not many people find that interesting. David posts local news stories, and they generate zero interest. Several people start threads that are non-political, with very little response. We get many community announcements. There are other topics on here, but the only threads that get any real play are the political ones.

I'm not sure what to do about that.

:shrug:

Like I said, people DO read. But the active participants are obviously interested in politics.

I'm not trying to argue with you, GW, I'm just venting my frustration. This has never - ever - been a one-sided political forum. All sides have always been welcome to post their views and that is not going to stop just because a few people can't handle reading something they disagree with.

I'm not trying to argue with you, GW, I'm just venting my frustration. This has never - ever - been a one-sided political forum. All sides have always been welcome to post their views and that is not going to stop just because a few people can't handle reading something they disagree with.
Nor am I. Not suggesting pointless changes to the forum or canning posters, just stating why I've lost interest. Not disputing the open "discussion" that takes place, not a snowflake because I may have a different opinion. It is what it is, and like OfficeGuy suggests, I believe there are more out there that feel the same, and don't post and get involved because things have become too politically focused. I personally am not politically motivated. I like lighthearted humor, tech and project discussions, an exchange of life-useful information.

And for those who would ask if discussing politics isn't useful info, it is, but not to me. Talk to me about getting more horsepower out of the 2.4 litre GMC motor that I'm getting in my new Slingshot. A better option for flooring. A new joke.

And on that note.... back to quiet mode.