Tilted

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I post about my travels and very seldom does anyone join in that thread, so clearly not many people find that interesting.

I would think page views would be a better indicator ... unless you are asking something specific - like where to go in what town

it is more like a travel blog / diary ... no need for comments

littlelady

God bless the USA
I would think page views would be a better indicator ... unless you are asking something specific - like where to go in what town

it is more like a travel blog / diary ... no need for comments

This forum is all about comments. You post alot of them. :lol:

Last edited:

polcecat

As a lurker on the forum I can say that I have not joined in because I don't really like how it shows how long you have been a member and how many posts you have had. You guys that have been around for a long time own the forum and anyone that is newly posting is noticed immediately. It is like joining a party around midnight where everyone knows each other and have had a few drinks and you try to fit in.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
As a lurker on the forum I can say that I have not joined in because I don't really like how it shows how long you have been a member and how many posts you have had. You guys that have been around for a long time own the forum and anyone that is newly posting is noticed immediately. It is like joining a party around midnight where everyone knows each other and have had a few drinks and you try to fit in.

Everybody was new at some point. You've been a member longer than most of the everyday posters, you should come in here and tell them whippersnappers what to do. :jet:

littlelady

God bless the USA

Disagree. Yes, there is an initiation period, but then one must decide if one wants to be here, or not. Don't be so lurky, and just posty. You may be pleasantly surprised. :smile:

Oh, and I miss Tilted, too.

:killingme: This might go to your point. I stumbled upon this thread when looking for another old one ...Name this place, which I haven't found yet. Anyway, I thought it was fittin' and funny!

http://forums.somd.com/threads/21611-Forum-Psycho

Last edited:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
:yeahthat: I was never hazed.

Neither was I. :shrug: I believe I lurked awhile before posting, though.

I found the forums a few years before that, too. I was living in FL and during the big tornado disaster that happened in 2002 I was searching online for more information. I came across a thread on SOMD.com. Then, I started reading around the forum because there were lots of treads about SOMD, and I was homesick. So then a few years passed and after I divorced and moved back up here, I found the forums again. I finally registered (so I could post to the old poster, Bruzilla, in Politics!) but still lurked a while before I did. :yay:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Neither was I. :shrug: I believe I lurked awhile before posting, though.

I found the forums a few years before that, too. I was living in FL and during the big tornado disaster that happened in 2002 I was searching online for more information. I came across a thread on SOMD.com. Then, I started reading around the forum because there were lots of treads about SOMD, and I was homesick. So then a few years passed and after I divorced and moved back up here, I found the forums again. I finally registered (so I could post to the old poster, Bruzilla, in Politics!) but still lurked a while before I did. :yay:
Some people bring it upon themselves. :yay:

SamSpade

I don't understand the correlation. Are you saying that if there were no dissenting opinions, people would post more? How does that work?

In the old days of *newsgroups* - do they even EXIST anymore? - many of them were moderated. Posts were either delayed or censored. Guidelines were always posted as to what was acceptable. Enough booting and people got the idea.

I was on a few of those, then. I didn't have a problem because I didn't use newsgroups just to call someone I didn't know a horse's ass.
At the same time, I participated widely on the still existing Delphi forums - same deal. A panel of users moderated some of them - if you were a nuisance, enough reports and your account would be knocked off. And it would suck if you were a paying member.

That's not to say moderation wasn't abused sometimes. I was on a religious forum once where one guy said one or two things the others didn't like, and there was nothing but a three day pile on the guy over just one or two posts - mostly - in my opinion - unfair.

Let me just say this - recently, IMDB yanked all of their comments sections - for every movie and actor. I REALLY miss them - but I can't say it hadn't devolved into stupid issue and politics quibbles and sexual innuendo and stuff. Out of several dozen threads, easily half would be people feeling the need to vent some political angle or post pics. And no one could moderate all the various threads. They died partly because they began to lose their purpose - turning into sounding boards for jerks - but also diminishing participation.

I'll admit as many have - I've trailed off a LOT on participation because I'm tired of the endless crap that is the SAME crap. That any interesting discussion WILL be peppered with pointless jabs that have nothing to do with the point of the thread. That any thread longer than two pages WILL turn into a name-calling fest.

So I tend to only post on threads created by a few people. While it happens that sometimes I write a lot, more and more my posts are short quips because I just don't see the point.

SamSpade

The horsey and feral cat crowd hammered me.....just sayin'

I just know that if you come on here on ANY thread to ask for advice - be prepared for :

1. Stupid advice intended to mock you or be silly -
2. Useless posts questioning why you want or need advice ---
3. Insulting posts wondering what the hell is wrong with you ---
4. More posts going way off topic and having nothing to do with your original question ---
5. For some reason - a post from someone who wasted bandwidth to tell you - they don't know ---
6. If you're lucky - and from time to time you will be - you'll get some decent advice.

Bearing that in mind, I ask advice on here when either I've tried everything else and have nothing to lose or I am mostly just curious and am in no rush to get an answer.

I was promoted. MigTig advertised me as a nice guy who was single and could buy all his own toys... :lol:. The only person to call me out was RoseRed who thought I didn't have a thumb.