To all PUG owners

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by jwwb2000
As far as them being around children, mine are WONDERFUL. I have a 3 year old daughter who LOVES her pugs. They are beggers for food though. You would think they do not get anything to eat the way they look at you with those eyes. LOL

Good to know! We have a 4.5 year old and a baby on the way. We're hoping for a bull mastiff from a friend who should be breeding them soon. They're definitely large dogs, though, so we're exploring some other options.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
i]Originally posted by PFgal [/i]
Good to know! We have a 4.5 year old and a baby on the way. We're hoping for a bull mastiff from a friend who should be breeding them soon. They're definitely large dogs, though, so we're exploring some other options. [/QUOTE]

I have a baby on the way too. I did a lot of research on what kind of dogs are good with children and pugs are in the top 10. Mine aren't yappy but they will bark at other dogs when they go for a walk and think they are big and bad! LOL But if you would like any info on pugs, please feel free to ask me. I love both my puggers and would not trade them for any other dog.

BTW--We had a german shepard mix before we got Neo and she ended up biting my daughter. So we are no longer going to have any type of large breed dogs within our family. Just in case you are wondering, no my daughter wasn't being mean to her by pulling her tail or anything like that. The stupid dog just bit her out of meaness!

JabbaJawz

Be about it
I did a lot of research on what kind of dogs are good with children and pugs are in the top 10. Mine aren't yappy but they will bark at other dogs when they go for a walk and think they are big and bad! LOL But if you would like any info on pugs, please feel free to ask me. I love both my puggers and would not trade them for any other dog.

I know you got Morpheus out of state, but did you get Neo locally? Curious if there are any local breeders around here.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
I did not get Neo locally. We got him from a lady in PA for $350. Morpheus cost us ZERO. We just had to go and pick him up. I am not sure if there are breeders around here but we are keeping Neo "studable" material. I think if you go to www.breeders.net you can do a search to see if there are any breeders around the area. I found Neo on www.pugpups.com forum.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
I did not get Neo locally. We got him from a lady in PA for $350. Morpheus cost us ZERO. We just had to go and pick him up. I am not sure if there are breeders around here but we are keeping Neo "studable" material. I think if you go to www.breeders.net you can do a search to see if there are any breeders around the area. I found Neo on www.pugpups.com forum.

Awesome, thanks for the links!!! Wow - $350 is a steal of a deal for a pug! How'd you manage that rate? I certainly wouldn't mind traveling a bit to get a pooch.

How are they as far as the whole puppy stage goes - are they little wild bohemians like my mother's boston terrier? She's 2 now, and only just starting to calm down a bit. I know pups will be pups, but it seems that some breeds as puppies are worse than others.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
I'm addicted. I've been checking out breeders.net and there are some great resources there and litters that are due to arrive soon!! I LOVE the black pugs, and so does my husband.

I've never had a puppy of my own, though, and worry about housebreaking, chewing, etc... I'd crate train for sure, but we both work full time and I worry about leaving the poor thing in the crate w/out potty breaks for an entire day. I started a thread a while back regarding daytime breaks for dogs, and am researching the 'dog walker' option. We'll see! We'd really like to have a pooch!

Last edited:

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
As far as getting Neo for the price we did, it was just luck. He is AKC registered also. But you were asking how they are as pups, if you have only one, they are fine. We you come home in the evenings, they tend to be a little wound up but they are just VERY happy to see you. We gated Neo in the kitchen while we were gone during the day and kept puppy pads out so if he had to go, he would go on there. This really worked out to our advantage. We are now able to leave him in the living room, providing all the crayons and dolls are not laying out for him to get, and he does just fine. Since we did not get Morpheus as a pup, he still has his accidents so he stays in the kitchen. But he is also staying in there due to getting him neutered.

The chewing can be curbed with pugs, you just have to work with them a little. What we did to get Neo to stop chewing on things he wasn't supposed to, like our fingers and hands, is have a chew toy to put into his mouth eveytime he started to chew on something he wasn't and then he got the hang of it. Didn' t take too long either.

I think the lady I purchased Neo from is going to have another litter this year. I will ask her and see if you would like. I could not be happier to have Neo and she even keeps in touch to see how he is doing. JLMK!

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Originally posted by nomoney
ehesef; I have to agree with you; they are ugly little things.
I don't hate Pugs, I just think they're ugly. I love all dogs, even those little Chinese crested things....:wink:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
I think the lady I purchased Neo from is going to have another litter this year. I will ask her and see if you would like. I could not be happier to have Neo and she even keeps in touch to see how he is doing. JLMK!

Please do! That's really nice of her to keep in touch - it shows she gives a sheet!

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
Pugs and gas.......let's see...it will all depend on the diet you give you pug as to if he/she is gassy or not. My two are not bad. One thing not to give a pug is rawhide and ears. This will give the most horrible gas and plus it is not good for them either. I have mine on pro plan chicken and rice formula (dry only) and this seems to work on the gas problem. But I thought most small dogs tend to be a bit gassy depending on what they are eating.

Hello6---there just doesn't seem to be enough rescues around for all breeds of dogs, especially pugs! I agree with you about trying to rescue one. We did this with Morpheus. The owners no longer wanted him so we went and picked him up.

PF---Not a problem. I will email her and see if she is letting Keeydah become a mom this spring/summer time. If so, you will not be disappointed with your puppy!

This is to all: Please be careful if you decide to get a puppy from around here. A friend of mine just got a maltese and the poor thing was in such poor condition that she is not sure if the other pups made it or not. It was infested with fleas and worms, of which the breeder said all of the pups were flea and worm free. The little thing also had anemia due to all the fleas and worms. Had she not taken it to the vet, it may have died and the breeder was contacted about this and didn't seem to be the least concerned! My friend paid $450 for a "healthy"pup, which was not, and had to end up paying another $200 just to get the poor little guy heathly due to it's living conditions.

Last edited:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by FancyBelle
Doesn't anybody like Poms???

I don't. I'm very partial to short haired dogs with velvet faces...like boston terriers, boxers, bull mastiffs, pugs, etc...