To all PUG owners

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by PFgal
I'd definitely be interested in rescuing a pug pooch and certainly plan to check into it.

Just looked. Problem is, most of the dogs listed are either very senior or not good with young children. I'm not opposed to an adult dog, but don't want a dog that is going to be near the end of his/her life in a year or 2. :shrug: Plus, I HAVE to have a dog who will work well w/children.

K

Kizzy

My dad got his pug puppy last night. He let the kids pick a name for him, which is Nemo, and he is so adorable. He said he will send pictures later this evening, so I can post them.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
Originally posted by IM4Change
My dad got his pug puppy last night. He let the kids pick a name for him, which is Nemo, and he is so adorable. He said he will send pictures later this evening, so I can post them.

Where did your dad get his pup? I am just curious!!

K

Kizzy

Originally posted by jwwb2000
Where did your dad get his pup? I am just curious!!

A breeder in Accokeek, which is in Prince George's County, I think.

If I didn't have my grandmother living with me, I'd have a few more dogs, at least 1 more, but she takes up so much of my time and complains about Milo all the time. Secretly, she loves him, but he does growl at her when she tries to stick him out the door when it is really cold or raining.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Am I insane for even considering this option?....

Dog Litter Box

Thoughts....

**If we get a pug, we are considering getting 2 so they can be company, etc...

#1 - I'd like to crate train a dog, but unless we get someone to come daily and let the dog have a pee break, that is not really a feasible option. I can't expect the pooch to be confined in a crate all day with no breaks. I haven't found anyone locally yet, and am leery of choosing a neighborhood kid - they get into after school events, etc... and may not be really reliable. Plus, I'd rather have someone come in the middle of the day anyway.

#2 - If we litter box train a dog, we can start with a circular gate set up in the kitchen area that will allow the dog to be 'free' without a crate, but not able to get to my cabinets, etc... and chew them up. I would just gate her off in the kitchen as opposed to a circular pen area, but with puppies I find it hard to believe that she wouldn't chew up my cabinet knobs, cabinets, etc... If we had a round gate up like THIS on the linoleum floor put a litter box in there w/her, the dog wouldn't be trapped in a crate, and would still be able to go potty. With the litter training they say to put the dogs on a feeding schedule, therefore we'd feed in the morning and let the dogs out before work. In the evenings they'd eat dinner with us. No daytime food.

Once the dogs are older and can be trusted, we can expand the area they get 'free run' of in the house and put the litter box in one certain area. Perhaps a doggie door on the door leading to the basement - that way the litter box would be out of the main area, but still accessible. Granted, it would be a while for that I'm sure, but just throwing out ideas.

:shrug:

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
PF---The litter box idea would work if you are not able to get home during the day but the puppy pads also work as well. Neither on of my pugs have full run of the house just because when the two of them are together, they can be misceivious. My pugs have not chewed on anything except for their toys. Neo has been very good at not chewing on things in the house. Since we have had Morph, he LOVES nylabones and will sit there for hours on end just chewing away. It is just something they learn from the owner(s) that chewing on furniture will not be tolerated.

We do crate both dogs at night. They are in there from around 9 pm until 6:30 am. Neither one of them have a problem with going in their crates. They have a pillow to lay on and are allowed one toy for comfort and to chew on if they would like. We do take them for a walk at night before they are crated. We also take the water away around 7 pm that way when they go out for the last time before bed, they will have a pretty empty bladder. When puppies are much younger, they are not able to hold it as long so just make sure you have a "safe" place for the puppy to go in the middle of the night for that just in case and he/she will not be scolded for it.

The only animal who has full rane of the house is our cat and he gets to go whereever he wants. He is very comfortable with both dogs and plays with Neo all of the time. We have even caught the two sleeping in a dog bed together.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
How do the puppy pads work for overall potty training, though? Does it confuse them to know that peeing on the pads are okay during the day, but it's not okay to pee in the floor at night? I'd love to crate train, but if we don't get someone to let them out daily that's not an option. I guess we could confine the dog to the kitchen daily with a puppy pad.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
All you do is start to move it closer and closer to the door. They will eventually get the hint that the puppy pad is not needed anymore. Just regulate how much water is given during the time you are not there and you should be good in that department. Whenever you are home, you should have the puppy on a schedule to be taken outside. They catch on pretty darn quickly. We did keep/still do both dogs gated in the kitchen while we are at work or out for the day. That way they cannot get something they are not supposed to, like toys from the toy box!! Little stinkers!!

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Just regulate how much water is given during the time you are not there and you should be good in that department.

I wouldn't feed them at all while we aren't there, so that would assist. She can eat breakfast in the morning while we're getting ready for work, and then we'll take her out. She can eat dinner with us when we get home. Sounds like the puppy pads are not a bad idea.

I know pugs shed a lot, how bad are yours? Does the black one shed less - I've heard that too!

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
My pugs do not shed that much at all. We do give them a bath once a week or so. That may help also. Just a little insight on pugs, they do not require a lot of exercise and not much on the grooming. If you get in a routine of cleaing the folds twice a week you will be good. To do that, just take a cotton ball will a little rubbing alcohol and wipe down the fold. This was suggested by the vet and it works. On the pugsnorts website, some people don't bathe their pugs but once a month. I guess it all depends on the owner. My two really enjoy bathtime and after they are dried off the run around like "Boy does that feel better". They really are little clowns!!

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
I see you are a member of PugPugs! That is an awesome site to do research on pugs! I am NeosMom on there, by the way.

If you would ever like to meet mine, I would be happy to let you. They really are sweethearts. That way you would be able to see what they are like and if you would like to get one or get another kind of dog.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
I see you are a member of PugPugs! That is an awesome site to do research on pugs! I am NeosMom on there, by the way.

If you would ever like to meet mine, I would be happy to let you. They really are sweethearts. That way you would be able to see what they are like and if you would like to get one or get another kind of dog.

Yes, I joined today!! I went to the photo gallery and have been drooling over all the cutie pugs!!! I'd LOVE to arrange to see your pooches sometime.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
That could be possible when the weather gets a little better outside. They go crazy with new people. All they want to do is lick you and love you to death. They are too funny!!! If you are REALLY serious about getting a pug, please keep in touch with me.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
This not something I want to do!!!! I love both of these little guys to death. It is really going to break my heart to see him gone. I am also seeing signs that both Neo and Morpheus are Alpha males due to their aggressive behavior towards each other. I know they are only dogs but I just don't want there to be a battle between the two!!! If things do not work out with his new home, I will be more than happy to take him back into our home that is for sure!!

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Re: Re: bump

Originally posted by Sharon
"Black pug" ...had to check the sellers name. Thought it might be PF's couch pooper. :lmao:

Nah, when I saw it I immediately recognized the names as being talked about on here.