Truck Needs New Brake Lines

DEEKAYPEE8569

when you have a failure it's better to have 3 brakes than none.

Same if its a plane. It's best to have one actuator or control surface not work than all of them

Well, yeah, that's true. But to me, this seems like a system re-design. Maybe <snort> I'm just not grasping the concept.

Edit: How much does this system upgrade cost, just to buy the kit?

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Well, yeah, that's true. But to me, this seems like a system re-design. Maybe <snort> I'm just not grasping the concept.

Edit: How much does this system upgrade cost, just to buy the kit?

Still in prototype and design phase..

Meaning I'm just talking out my ass.

black dog

Free America
We went through this with my kids 4X4 Ranger last fall, I had him crimp off ( with Channel locks ) the main line going down the frame rail to the rear of the truck and he drove it to Guy Motors in Mechanicsville. To replace a the rear solid & flexible lines, wheel cylinders, flush and bleed was 400 bucks. Even that sucked, but his daddy's shop is 700 miles away.

Just talked to Winegardner.....$1200-$1800.....just for labor! :jet:

"Well.....when brake lines are replaced, we replace both of them." I get it. Just because one brake line is bad; doesn't mean the other one's not gonna go south after the currently broken one's replaced. I understand the reasoning; but.....the labor costs alone are UN-FRIGGIN-REAL! OFW I guess.....

Me: "The truck needs to be towed to your shop; can't drive it." So that's more $$ just to get it towed to L'town. I'm guessing a total bill for this will be $3000+ by the time everything's done. Sound about right gearheads?

Quade's Auto & Diesel Repair did mine on my suburban. They're a mobile shop. Did it in my driveway.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I replace or build new brake lines all the time. Stainless or CuNi...never the junk they sell at Autozone. Figger about $300 for an entire truck...

On the other hand..I also build hydroboost brake upgrade systems from scratch that cost a little more..like this one I finished a couple weeks ago...

IMG_0402.jpg

Last edited:

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R

Yes, I'm so proud of him, sniff. Lol. You can find some helpful stuff on there. I fixed the dryer and the washer with YouTube's help. BTW, that patch is hilarious. Coincidentally he just put new brakes and rotors on my Altima this weekend. Second time he's done the rotors for me. Also, used YouTube :)

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Just talked to Winegardner.....$1200-$1800.....just for labor! :jet:

1st problem - dealership

I replaced several brake lines on the wife's 96 bronco ... the one I thought would be the most difficult - front to rear line was drop dead simple [thanks ford]

the kit with all stainless steel wire wrapped lines was $180 bucks from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard.

So, I'm here to tell you that the tools required are less than $100 total, for nice ones.

I never could get the flaring tool to work.
I bought pre-bent lines [Bronco above].... or hand bent ones for my VW's but the ends were already flared.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
1st problem - dealership

I replaced several brake lines on the wife's 96 bronco ... the one I thought would be the most difficult - front to rear line was drop dead simple [thanks ford]

the kit with all stainless steel wire wrapped lines was $180 bucks from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard.

I bought pre-bent lines [Bronco above].... or hand bent ones for my VW's but the ends were already flared.

One reason I bought 20 feet of line (and still have maybe 10 feet) is that I made about 4-5 practice flares, the first two were trash, I didn't even bother putting the nut over first since I knew that would be the case. The next three I did use the nut, and fitted them to see how they felt going on. By the last one I was pretty confident and went to "production".

DEEKAYPEE8569

1st problem - dealership

Yeah, I learned not to commit to anything like this at the dealership. Recalls, okay; but not something like this. You couldn't get the flaring tool to work? Oh wait, it probably wasn't a Ford flaring tool. Sometimes it seems certain automakers make parts that are only serviceable with "specialized" tools. I learned Chrysler/Plymouth/Jeep/Dodge is good at that.

I was told, the gent in La Plata that replaced the trans in the truck uses steel brake line; makes them up himself. Thing is, he recently had back surgery, so I haven't heard if he's accepting new work. So, I might just give Quade's Auto & Diesel Repair a call and hope for a smaller estimate than $1200-$1800 just for labor.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
You couldn't get the flaring tool to work? Oh wait, it probably wasn't a Ford flaring tool. Sometimes it seems certain automakers make parts that are only serviceable with "specialized" tools. I learned Chrysler/Plymouth/Jeep/Dodge is good at that.

No, double flares are the same everywhere. The problem is the cheaper flaring tools require some practice to get to making a decent flare. That's why I have an expensive one..I make up a lot of brake lines.

The CuNi brake line is much easier to flare and bend than steel or stainless steel and has become probably the most popular option for new custom lines, or replacing existing lines that have rotted out.

And I've got 10 bucks sez it's not a "loose fitting"...because it never is. ;-)