Truck Needs New Brake Lines

DEEKAYPEE8569

That's not bad at all. That's a really decent rate for in-shop work even.
Well, this is new information for me. I've never had to pay for this type of thing.
Dad was the mechanical genius. The unknown is, of course, the TOTAL; incl. parts. That's what concerns me; but, I do want to keep the truck, so.....

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Well then, I guess $90/hr. is better; just so long as the cost of the parts doesn't kick the price up over $125/hr. Like I said; I think; it's the biiig # at the bottom of the bill that is the concern.

I had Jeff's (St. Mary's Automotive) in Callaway replace the entire hard brake line to the rear brakes on my 2000 Jeep Cherokee because I didn't have time or shop space to fool with it myself. Cost me $225 total.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I had Jeff's (St. Mary's Automotive) in Callaway replace the entire brake line to the rear brakes on my 2000 Jeep Cherokee because I didn't have time or shop space to fool with it myself. Cost me $225 total.
But you towed your ride to the shop; or drove it there, yes? I would have to rely on a friend of mine to tow the truck; but he's always working on his Honey-do list; never has time. If Quade's can come out and fix what I need fixed, in my driveway; and as long as he doesn't "bend me over" with parts and materials costs, $90/hr. might be worth it.

DEEKAYPEE8569

And don't forget to factor in the convenience of not having to pay for a tow truck to get it to the shop.
Well, I have AAA for towing; and ONLY towing; as I found out when I called.
Never had or used AAA before, so I called and asked questions, to find that they only covered towing.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
But you towed your ride to the shop; or drove it there, yes? I would have to rely on a friend of mine to tow the truck; but he's always working on his Honey-do list; never has time. If Quade's can come out and fix what I need fixed, in my driveway; and as long as he doesn't "bend me over" with parts and materials costs, $90/hr. might be worth it.

Yep, I still had front brakes so no problem with driving it.

If it is only a rusted out brake line, the materials will be cheap.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Way too much thought into this. Making it harder than it needs to be.

I know, but you don't hear what I hear.....I catch everything from:
'How much have you already invested in this truck and you STILL can't drive it?' - New trans.

to.....

'If it's gonna cost more than the truck's worth (with regard to actual $$ value) to just get the brakes fixed, might as well just sell it.' - Happen not gonna.
All the repairs that have been and are yet to be completed are due to infrequent use. I only use the truck to make "dump runs"; that kind of thing. Now, a friend is re-modeling her house to sell it and she only has a Ford Escape. You can't haul things bigger'n a few boxes with an Escape without making umpteen trips or borrowing a friend's truck.....which I'll have, after I can get 'er stopping again.