Whatcha reading?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Today I had a 2hr commute (one way!) to a seminar I had to attend. I wanted to take a book since yesterday was so boring. My son had just read a book off the HS reading summer reading list called "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the NightTime", and he LOVED the book. It's about a teenaged boy with high functioning autism who is accused of murdering a dog. But there is much more to the story.

It was a very fascinating read & I thoroughly enjoyed it. (ok, it's on the HS reading list, but it was still a good book!) And I finished it in 4 hours - perfect!

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon - Trade Paperback - Random House

D

dems4me

I'm reading "Night Tales" by Nora Robersts. Two books in one. Night Shift then Night Shadow. Very good!! :yay:

belvak

Happy Camper
I finished Happiness Key by Emilie Richards, and am now starting Return to Sullivans Island by Dorothea Benton Frank.

belvak

Happy Camper
Have you read Sullivans Island? I really liked those two books -- made me want to go find all of her other ones.

No, I read Bull's Island. I didn't even know there was a "first" Sullivans Island book. Now, I'll have to find it too!! :cds: I don't even want to know how much I spend on books!!!! I could probably have bought another house!!!! :lol:

Last edited:

Wenchy

Hot Flash
Today I had a 2hr commute (one way!) to a seminar I had to attend. I wanted to take a book since yesterday was so boring. My son had just read a book off the HS reading summer reading list called "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the NightTime", and he LOVED the book. It's about a teenaged boy with high functioning autism who is accused of murdering a dog. But there is much more to the story.

It was a very fascinating read & I thoroughly enjoyed it. (ok, it's on the HS reading list, but it was still a good book!) And I finished it in 4 hours - perfect!

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon - Trade Paperback - Random House

Do you read while you drive or do you have a driver?

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
No, I read Bull's Island. I didn't even know there was a "first" Sullivans Island book. Now, I'll have to find it too!! :cds: I don't even want to know how much I spend on books!!!! I could probably have bought another house!!!! :lol:

Borrow it from the library - that's what I did! :lol: First book is older generation - 2nd will make more sense if you read Sullivan's Island frst!

belvak

Happy Camper
Borrow it from the library - that's what I did! :lol: First book is older generation - 2nd will make more sense if you read Sullivan's Island frst!

Hmmmm. I just may have to pull the old library card out of moth balls and hit the library this weekend! I used to check books out and read them all the time, but I seemed to read them all and they didn't get new stuff in fast enough!! :lol:

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Hmmmm. I just may have to pull the old library card out of moth balls and hit the library this weekend! I used to check books out and read them all the time, but I seemed to read them all and they didn't get new stuff in fast enough!! :lol:

I pulled mine out a couple of years ago and got caught up quickly. I can read 'em faster than they can write 'em, darn it! I have also discovered that I can place "holds" for books using their online catalog and have them sent to my closest branch! That is so slick! Try it! Just get your library card first because you'll need the number and a pin to place a hold.

Welcome to COSMOS - Collection of Southern Maryland's Online Services

belvak

Happy Camper
I pulled mine out a couple of years ago and got caught up quickly. I can read 'em faster than they can write 'em, darn it! I have also discovered that I can place "holds" for books using their online catalog and have them sent to my closest branch! That is so slick! Try it! Just get your library card first because you'll need the number and a pin to place a hold.

:yay: Got it!!!! My problem is, with books, I'm like a little kid and "have to have it right now"!!!!! :lmao: I have absolutely no patience for waiting for a book via hold or release from a publisher!!! I have often thought about looking into one of the "proofreader" type of positions with one of the publishers so that I could read books before they are released, but I just never got around to it. Can you imagine being able to read an endless supply of books that you didn't have to buy????? Sort of like Heaven, huh??

Rane

Lookin for Margaritaville

Amazon.com has used books by dealers all across the US ... even with the shipping and handling it is usually still cheaper than buying it new in the store !

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
:yay: Got it!!!! My problem is, with books, I'm like a little kid and "have to have it right now"!!!!! :lmao: I have absolutely no patience for waiting for a book via hold or release from a publisher!!! I have often thought about looking into one of the "proofreader" type of positions with one of the publishers so that I could read books before they are released, but I just never got around to it. Can you imagine being able to read an endless supply of books that you didn't have to buy????? Sort of like Heaven, huh??

You & me both. Check out some of the major book publishers. I got signed up a while ago to read "proof copies" and write reviews but I haven't actually done any yet as they rotate them around. If I ever remember which publisher it was I'll PM you.

Daffy

I LOVE that feature! I use it all the time. I never go to the library and wander around the stacks anymore looking for a book. Even if it's at my local library I'll place a hold on it and wait until I get the email saying it's ready and waiting on the "hold" shelf. Ah the wonders of modern technology.

:lmao:

kk2187

I often go to Kindle Cheap Reads since it's so time consuming to comb through all of the cheap and free books to find one that's interesting. The site highlights a few good finds every day and I think they're compiling a list that they'll post in a few days. I thought I'd share that for those with kindles.

Anyway, from that site I've downloaded Amazon.com: Face of Betrayal (Triple Threat Series #1) eBook: Wiehl, Lis, Henry, April: Kindle Store, since it's free right now. I'm usually more of a romance/chick lit fan, but I'm about 40% of the way through this book, still interested and haven't figured out the mystery quite yet.