Whatcha reading?

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Today I had a 2hr commute (one way!) to a seminar I had to attend. I wanted to take a book since yesterday was so boring. My son had just read a book off the HS reading summer reading list called "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the NightTime", and he LOVED the book. It's about a teenaged boy with high functioning autism who is accused of murdering a dog. But there is much more to the story.

It was a very fascinating read & I thoroughly enjoyed it. (ok, it's on the HS reading list, but it was still a good book!) And I finished it in 4 hours - perfect!

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon - Trade Paperback - Random House

Yes! loved the book and loaned it to several friends..it may not be for everyone..you kind of have to "get it" but it is a nice story and a neat depiction of an interesting character..good read. I looked for yellow cars after that.. :lol:

spinner

this summer I've read

or listened to, since I use alot of audio books:

Girl in Translation about Chinese girl coming to this country. I enjoyed it.

Saving Cece Hunnicutt was good

My Name is Mary Sutter the Civil War era, I really didn't learn much about it in school, this was a good book but it got a little long in the Lincoln parts. I often wonder how accurate historal fiction really is, but I would think this was one was pretty accurate. I really enjoyed the story, even the battle parts were interesting. I never really thought about what a cesspool DC was in that era with all those soldiers decending on it. Or what they didn't know about disease and how to treat it.

Island Beneath the Sea I thought this one was really gonna suck I mean slavery in Haiti before it was Haiti while it was under French rule... but I was wrong it was very interesting, a little long in places but I learned a whole lot and enjoyed it. I don't think I could have read it as a book though, I liked it on CD

The Map of True Places was good

Romancing Charlotte Bronte was good but I wanted to smack her and say at some point get away from your father and get a life! I guess women in that time didn't do that.

Right now I'm reading [in book form] The Queen of Water which is very good and listening to This Body of Death by Elizabeth George. I've read a bunch of other books but I can't remember them all right now.
if you liked the Curious Incident of the Dog in Nightime there is a similar one I think it's Extremely Close and Incredibly Loud it was so good. Most of these books I've gotten from the library. And Jodi Picoult's new book is good but I'd like to know what you thought of the ending if you've read it.

Terrid76

: Can you imagine being able to read an endless supply of books that you didn't have to buy????? Sort of like Heaven, huh??

Yeah, I can imagine that. I usually have between 15 and 20 books per month to read and review. As of today I have 6 books that need to be done by the 1st, an additional 7 that are due by the 20th of Sept and 3 without due dates yet. I've found some really good authors and books but I've also had some real horrible books. Maybe heaven with a dark side?

Terri

Homer J

Power Chord
Been struggling through "Goodnight Moon" for awhile now. J/K, actually working my way through "The Pacific". It's the companion book for the HBO miniseries that is written by Hugh Ambrose who is the son of Steven Ambrose who wrote "Band of Brothers".

So far, pretty good.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Now I'm reading The Hanged Man's Song by John Sandford. Tech thrillers are annoying when they're more than 6 months old because they talk about obsolete crap like it's all that.

Terrid76

Started a new book: Afterlife by Merrie Destefano. It will be the first book in the resurrection chronicles. Interesting premise......after you die, you can be resurrected in a clone, keep most of your memories and you're 21. However, you can only do this 9 times before your DNA starts to fall apart. Those at the end of their 9th life are desperate to live longer and will do anything to accomplish that including taking over someone else's clone.

I'm about 1/2 way through and it's okay. It goes on sale 28 Sept.

Terri

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Halfway through - sitting there in tears while I was getting the oil changed.

Never heard of this book before the movie - don't really have the time to read anymore but I was curios and looked it up. Sort of a ghost story, love story, after death story, make you cry story, make you think story so far.

Right now I don't think the girl in the sailboat knows she's dead.

Isn't that the movie that either just came out or is coming out soon?