whats up with???

princess73

just one of those days...
Pasofever said:
One question..how freaking hard is it to get away from a TIED dog? :sad:

My guess would be that it wouldn't be especially if you didn't get near him to begin with. I am sure that the dog was barking way before the cop stumbled upon him and within reach of where the dog was tied.

protectmd

Shooting the dog? Question, why? You can mace the dog, you can hide in your cop car, you can call animal control (thats why our taxes pay their paycheck) theres alot he could have done, thank the lord it wasn't a person... sounds like this guy doesn't understand the proper escalation of force technique? Personally I hope that the address was correct on that warrant... I had them show up at my residence once to serve a warrant and my address wasn't even listed on the paperwork, they tend to do what they want... it had nothing to do with me.
Did the dog have a history of biting people? Like prior vicious animal calls to that residence in the past? If it wasn't a "high risk" warrant why didn't they show up at a time when people are normally home (evening hours)?

sockgirl77

I know Sharon. She's a wonderful person. I am sure that she is grieving right now. I am also sure that she would not own a vicious dog. This cop was trigger happy.

jbooty

JenArg said:
I got this email today:

Family Dog Killed by Charles County Deputy

On Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at approximately 2:30 PM, our beloved “Max” a 6-year-old black German Sheppard, was gunned down on our doorstep by Charles County Deputy C Long. Allegedly Deputy Long arrived at our home to serve a warrant on an individual who did not even live with us. He parked on the side of our house, went to our front door and 2 side doors, when no one answered he proceeded around our garage to the side door of the garage. He stated he acknowledged our dog Max when he walked by him. Max, who was on his leash, allegedly snapped at the officer and then the officer allegedly shot Max multiple times in the head, jaw and neck, breaking his choker collar and leaving him to die 2 feet from our door.

So, the cop is going from door to door knocking.. as if it wasn't a clue nobody was home when he knocked on the first door and got no response.. I feel for the family.. If that were my dog, I'd want the word to get out about that trigger happy officer also!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I was getting ready to stick up for the cop and say that those people should control their animal better, then I read the story.

So nobody was home except for the dog, cop goes to the house to serve a warrant, the tied up dog bites him, and he shoots the dog. Is that about right?

Something's not right here. If the dog was tied, why did the cop get close enough to him to get bitten? That must have been some kinda rookie cop there. And how does this woman know exactly the path the deputy took if she wasn't even there?

:confused:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
jbooty said:
as if it wasn't a clue nobody was home when he knocked on the first door and got no response..
People hide in their houses all the time to avoid being served a warrant.

mdgirlie

Bay_Kat said:
I had a shepherd that was so protective of my sons that if I raised my voice, she would growl at me. My husband (who is now my ex) was going after one of my sons who was running into his bedroom and the dog stood in front of the bedroom door as if she was daring my ex to do something. They are very protective of their people and property.

Here's some info about the German Shepherd breed.
Temperament
The breed has a distinct personality marked by direct and fearless, but not hostile, expression, self-confidence and a certain aloofness that does not lend itself to immediate and indiscriminate friendships. The dog must be approachable, quietly standing its ground and showing confidence and willingness to meet overtures without itself making them. It is poised, but when the occasion demands, eager and alert; both fit and willing to serve in its capacity as companion, watchdog, blind leader, herding dog, or guardian, whichever the circumstances may demand. The dog must not be timid, shrinking behind its master or handler; it should not be nervous, looking about or upward with anxious expression or showing nervous reactions, such as tucking of tail, to strange sounds or sights. Lack of confidence under any surroundings is not typical of good character.

American Kennel Club - German Shepherd Dog dogs puppy puppies. Retrieved 5/18/2007 from http://www.akc.org/breeds/german_shepherd_dog/

lovinmaryland

that is just terrible.

even if the cop was attacked by the dog (who was chained up) why did he feel the need to shoot the dog multiple times? wouldn't once be enough? especially seeing as the dog was tied up?

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
This looks much more complex than "Raging deputy kills family pet"

The Woman said:
Allegedly Deputy Long arrived at our home to serve a warrant on an individual who did not even live with us. He parked on the side of our house, went to our front door and 2 side doors, when no one answered he proceeded around our garage to the side door of the garage. He stated he acknowledged our dog Max when he walked by him.

Max, who was on his leash, allegedly snapped at the officer and then the officer allegedly shot Max multiple times in the head, jaw and neck, breaking his choker collar and leaving him to die 2 feet from our door.

For the record I don't read KRAMA so any red or green will be wasted on me.

The woman (who looks like a nutcase in the St Mary's Today photos squatting before a poorly spelled bedsheet sign) says that the dog attacked the deputy from behind after the deputy spoke to him and walked past. The dog looks close to 180-200# in the picture. If something that big attacked me from behind, I'd be drawing down on it too. If the dog bit him and if the deputy was smart, the first thing he would think is rabid dog (especially if the dog way lying placidly next to the door as he walked past and then attacked him).

I haven't seen the property but it's not unusual for there to be little room to get past a dog on a leash (chain? rope? How long?) and a fence or other obstacle. If the dog was peaceful (as the family makes it sound) the deputy may not have felt the need to detour 8 or 10 feet around the dog.

It's an unfortunate incident. Too bad someone stupidly said "off the record" that a puncture wound didn't tear the pants. Rabies doesn't need much of an entry wound to cause its problems. When you're a deputy you spend a lot of time out in the country where the rabid animals live. I'm sure the shift notices in all the rural sheriff's offices warn the deputies to beware of rabies. "Let's be careful out there" (Hill Street Blues)

Cowgirl

Lenny said:
The woman (who looks like a nutcase in the St Mary's Today photos squatting before a poorly spelled bedsheet sign)

What makes her look like a nutcase? I think she looks fairly normal. And what is misspelled on the sheet? I think the "P" in deputy was too small, so it was written over. :shrug:

thunderchicken

PHANTOMFIRE1
Here go's another one protecting his own, and I don't care how you try to explain it, it is intolorable, deployrable, and just plain out unprofessional. What kind of schools are ya'll training in, Dirty Harry's or Barny Fife's. Former Constable

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
It is a good thing for unwanted folks to be fearful, or rather, respectful of your pets. My furry children tend to look to some as imposing. How they really are is up to my discretion to disclose.

Would I ever leave the house with one of the girls tied up? No. If I am playing with them out back, one does have to be on a very long cable as she tends to be distracted by squirrels, birds, moles, etc. and will run off. Mostly, I don't tie it to anything, but keep it underfoot if I need to stop a pursuit.

But, we're not talking about me. Based on the information provided and the alleged circumstances, the value of my loved ones' life are far greater than the value of a fukk up who should have walked away. Again, if this transpired as stated, he doesn't deserve a badge, much less a license to carry a gun.

My girls give me joy and laughter and comfort and warmth and sing to me. If one person took that away out of maliciousness and temper and ego, I'd hope that hell holds a special place for him and jail, a cozy little spot. At the very least.

lovinmaryland

Lenny said:

The woman (who looks like a nutcase in the St Mary's Today photos squatting before a poorly spelled bedsheet sign) says that the dog attacked the deputy from behind after the deputy spoke to him and walked past. The dog looks close to 180-200# in the picture. If something that big attacked me from behind, I'd be drawing down on it too. If the dog bit him and if the deputy was smart, the first thing he would think is rabid dog (especially if the dog way lying placidly next to the door as he walked past and then attacked him).

I haven't seen the property but it's not unusual for there to be little room to get past a dog on a leash (chain? rope? How long?) and a fence or other obstacle. If the dog was peaceful (as the family makes it sound) the deputy may not have felt the need to detour 8 or 10 feet around the dog.

It's an unfortunate incident. Too bad someone stupidly said "off the record" that a puncture wound didn't tear the pants. Rabies doesn't need much of an entry wound to cause its problems. When you're a deputy you spend a lot of time out in the country where the rabid animals live. I'm sure the shift notices in all the rural sheriff's offices warn the deputies to beware of rabies. "Let's be careful out there" (Hill Street Blues)

he could have called animal control before going around where the dog was, and then attempt to serve the warrant.

i still don't understand why he felt the need to shot the dog more than 1 time.

Lenny said:

I don't thinks she looks like a nutcase, nor did that dog weigh anywhere near 180 pounds! :faint: