Why the Comey decision makes no sense

awpitt

Main Streeter
1. Why NOT fire Comey now? The person put in place by Obama in MD and Trump in 2017, the man who just took the office of oversight over Mr. Comey two weeks ago, sent a letter to Mr. Trump saying, "duuuuuuude, fire this guy or you'll never be able to fix the FBI." If Trump did fire him previously, it would look like it was over Russia. Instead, now it looks to most thinking people (that would take out most liberals and many libertarians) like it is about Comey.

2. What difference would location make?

3. What difference would a resignation (instead of firing) have made?

What difference would location make?

Well, a decent person. You know, someone with integrity would've done the firing in person. Didn't have to be Trump but at the very least, Sessions or Comey's direct boss should've don't it in person. Of course the POTUS can do what he wants but the way this was done doesn't speak very well about the character of the people involved with the firing.

SamSpade

Well, a decent person. You know, someone with integrity would've done the firing in person.

Baloney. A large portion of the people I know who have been fired were told on the phone.
Yates was told by letter.

What difference does it make? I was once "let go" which always strikes me as a polite way of being fired.
Still consider it the worst day of my life (that didn't involve a death).
If they had just told me by email, it would have hurt but at least I wouldn't have to be walked out the door
with a box of my stuff and handed them my ID on the way out.

This_person

Well, a decent person. You know, someone with integrity would've done the firing in person. Didn't have to be Trump but at the very least, Sessions or Comey's direct boss should've don't it in person. Of course the POTUS can do what he wants but the way this was done doesn't speak very well about the character of the people involved with the firing.

I can't argue the point, but I do not see it as a very big deal. These are big boys with big-time jobs, and no matter how it was done was going to be unpleasant for all involved. My best guess is that it was done this way to make a point to Mr. Comey; one of the reasons you were fired is because you went out and announced #### to the public without your superiors' knowledge and consent - now you know how that feels.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Baloney. A large portion of the people I know who have been fired were told on the phone.
Yates was told by letter.

What difference does it make? I was once "let go" which always strikes me as a polite way of being fired.
Still consider it the worst day of my life (that didn't involve a death).
If they had just told me by email, it would have hurt but at least I wouldn't have to be walked out the door
with a box of my stuff and handed them my ID on the way out.

It's not baloney.

Most people I know who were fired where told in person. Supervisor/MGR and HR rep. Actually, I can't think of an instance when it was done over the phone or by letter. In Comey's case he was told by the network news on TV. Completely unacceptable.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It's not baloney.

Most people I know who were fired where told in person. Supervisor/MGR and HR rep. Actually, I can't think of an instance when it was done over the phone or by letter. In Comey's case he was told by the network news on TV. Completely unacceptable.

So given all that, how will future events be impacted by the way he was fired?

awpitt

Main Streeter
I can't argue the point, but I do not see it as a very big deal. These are big boys with big-time jobs, and no matter how it was done was going to be unpleasant for all involved. My best guess is that it was done this way to make a point to Mr. Comey; one of the reasons you were fired is because you went out and announced #### to the public without your superiors' knowledge and consent - now you know how that feels.

He was told by the news on TV. That's not even remotely professional. They could've at least tracked him down at the LA office and told him before they released it to the public.

Last edited:

PsyOps

Pixelated
It's not baloney.

Well, it seems Comey doesn't see it that way:

READ: Comey sends letter to FBI

To all: I have long believed that a President can fire an FBI Director for any reason, or for no reason at all. I'm not going to spend time on the decision or the way it was executed. I hope you won't either. It is done, and I will be fine, although I will miss you and the mission deeply...

This_person

He was told by the news on TV. That's not even remotely professional. They could've at least tracked him down at the LA office and told him before they released it to the public.

Sort of like he could have told the AG, Assistant AG, and/or the president before he went out and announced (multiple times) information regarding his team's investigations? Seems like a little tit for tat to me, but I could be wrong. No one told me this, just my thought.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
On the day that Comey gave his Hillary speech, a number of his agents walked out of the office. This is not some beloved leader we're talking about - his own subordinates had lost confidence in his willingness to uphold the law. They saw first hand that Comey was a corrupt political puppet and not a law enforcement official.

His "letter" is just more ham-handed arrogance. He certainly was aware that he was unpopular with his team.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Well, of course he's not going to go into how screwed up the execution was in a memo to FBI personnel. He just said he wasn't going to spend time on it. He didn't say how he felt about it.

Well, you've certainly bought into the liberal talking points.

It is NOT an 'execution' for the president to fire someone. But let's do this...

Obama Just Fired the Top Commander of the DC National Guard

The U.S. Army general who heads the D.C. National Guard and is an integral part of overseeing the inauguration said Friday he has been ordered removed from command effective Jan. 20, 12:01 p.m., just as Donald Trump is sworn in as president.

Maj. Gen. Errol R. Schwartz’s departure will come in the midst of the presidential ceremony, classified as a national special security event — and while thousands of his troops are deployed to help protect the nation’s capital during an inauguration he has spent months helping to plan.

“The timing is extremely unusual,” Schwartz said in an interview Friday morning, confirming a memo announcing his ouster...

Where was the outrage by the left over this firing, under VERY SPECIOUS circumstances? Where was YOUR outrage? He was fired via A MEMO. Not in person.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Well, you've certainly bought into the liberal talking points.

Incorrect.

I read the stupid memo saying that he wasn't "going to spend time on the decision or the way it was executed." Doesn't take an English major to figure that out.

But let's do this...
Obama Just Fired the Top Commander of the DC National Guard

Where was the outrage by the left over this firing, under VERY SPECIOUS circumstances? Where was YOUR outrage? He was fired via A MEMO. Not in person.

Interesting article. Especially from reading the whole thing. I'll bet Gen. Schwartz did not learn of his removal by watching the news on TV.

As a presidential appointee, he submitted (as is customary) a resignation letter to the Trump Transition Team. The resignation was accepted. Trump could've kept him as Obama did when Bush 43 left office. Nice try though.

Schwartz, who was appointed to head the guard by President George W. Bush in 2008, maintained the position through President Obama’s two terms. He said his orders came from the Pentagon but that he doesn’t know who made the decision. It is unclear whether he is part of a larger class of federal workers who have been asked to leave their jobs as a new president takes office.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'll bet Gen. Schwartz did not learn of his removal by watching the news on TV.

Perhaps if Trump were to drain the swamp just a wee bit more, things like this wouldn't come out until he was ready for them to come out. I think it's pretty clear that Trump did try to inform Comey personally, by couriered letter, and some leaker close to him alerted the press.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/332662-comey-learned-he-was-fired-from-tv-reports

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/10/politics/james-comey-donald-trump-firing-tick-tock/

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...d-fbi-director-learned-was-fired-from-tv.html

But honestly, so what? Comey is a crapmaster and if he got publicly humiliated, ha ha. I'm totally okay with these power mad political operatives getting their asses handed to them.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I think it's pretty clear that Trump did try to inform Comey personally, by couriered letter, and some leaker close to him alerted the press.

Tried try to inform Comey personally, by couriered letter?

They new darn well that Comey was in LA. Yet, they had the letter delivered to the Hoover Bldg in D.C.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Tried try to inform Comey personally, by couriered letter?

They new darn well that Comey was in LA. Yet, they had the letter delivered to the Hoover Bldg in D.C.

So it's completely impossible that Trump did try to notify Comey, and someone in his atmosphere leaked to the press first?

Or are you just believing what you want to believe?