Why the Comey decision makes no sense

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Incorrect.

Obama did not fire Gen. Schwartz. As a presidential appointee, Gen. Schwartz submitted his resignation along with all the other presidential appointees to the Trump transition team. Trump then had the choice to reject the resignation (thus keeping Gen. Schwartz on) or to accept the resignation (thus replacing Gen. Schwartz). Trump accepted the resignation. Gen. Schwartz was appointed by Bush 43 and was kept on by Obama throughout Obama's eight years in office. Sorry to inject facts here but it is you who needs to keep up.

Wow. You really set the bar for nit picking, sport. Really. You have no peer. Obsess on, bro!

PsyOps

Pixelated
Incorrect.

Obama did not fire Gen. Schwartz. As a presidential appointee, Gen. Schwartz submitted his resignation along with all the other presidential appointees to the Trump transition team. Trump then had the choice to reject the resignation (thus keeping Gen. Schwartz on) or to accept the resignation (thus replacing Gen. Schwartz). Trump accepted the resignation. Gen. Schwartz was appointed by Bush 43 and was kept on by Obama throughout Obama's eight years in office. Sorry to inject facts here but it is you who needs to keep up.

Well, since you don't believe the first source I provided, perhaps you'll believe the WaPo:

Head of D.C. National Guard to be removed from post in middle of inauguration

The Army general who heads the D.C. National Guard and has an integral part in overseeing the inauguration said Friday that he will be removed from command effective at 12:01 p.m. Jan. 20, just as Donald Trump is sworn in as president...

... Schwartz, who was appointed to head the Guard by President George W. Bush in 2008, maintained the position through President Obama’s two terms. He said his orders came from the Pentagon in the form of an email that names his interim successor, a brigadier general, who takes over at 12:01 p.m. next Friday...

... Schwartz said he will work up until that moment, and then plans to retire from the Army. “I’m a soldier,” he said. “I’m a presidential appointee. Therefore, the president has the power to remove me.”

So, who was president when he was ordered removed? Obama! Trump hadn't been sworn yet, therefore didn't have any authority to remove Schwartz. There was no submission of his resignation. I have provided two source that refutes that. He was fired. And Obama didn't have the courtesy to tell him face-to-face as you demand it should be done.

This_person

So you believe he fired him because of his inappropriate announcement about an investigation involving Hilary Clinton ?

Or did he just decide to wait four months to take action?

It's one or the other.

If left wing talking points are correct of course that is what people are going to be talking about.

The most likely scenario is this:

Comey does a bunch of shady work, poor performance, most publicly starting last July.

Trump is elected, then inaugurated.

Comey continues performing unprofessionally.

Trump continues to notice, but for appearance sake says he's fine with Comey.

A new supervisor is approved by the Senate 94-6. This new guys says, "Comey needs to go."

Trump says, "Yeah, that's what I have been thinking."

Occam's Razor.

PsyOps

Pixelated
The most likely scenario is this:

Comey does a bunch of shady work, poor performance, most publicly starting last July.

Trump is elected, then inaugurated.

Trump continues to notice, but for appearance sake says he's fine with Comey.

A new supervisor is approved by the Senate 94-6. This new guys says, "Comey needs to go."

Trump says, "Yeah, that's what I have been thinking."

Occam's Razor.

Yeah... a coup.

philibusters

:lol:

Trump is already in charge of the FBI, technically. It would have to be a coup against a higher force - thus my assertion it's a small scale coup against the establishment.

Establishment people get removed from office all the time and replaced by other establishment people. If you are going to argue its a coup against the establishment you would at least have to wait to see who is nominated as his replacement.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Yes. For two reasons.

First Trump has changed his reasoning for why he fired him numerous times.

Second the timing is suspicious. why didn't he fire him once got into office if the reasoning was the was the Hilary kerfufle as he stated in his letter

So you are all about optics rather than substance... got it. At one time or another both sides wanted him gone. Optics aside, it's a win/win for both sides because everybody got their wish.

This_person

Establishment people get removed from office all the time and replaced by other establishment people. If you are going to argue its a coup against the establishment you would at least have to wait to see who is nominated as his replacement.

The surprise firing of the establishment person by a non-establishment person would be the coup against the establishment. Putting an establishment person back in would be a mitigation strategy.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Well, since you don't believe the first source I provided, perhaps you'll believe the WaPo:

Head of D.C. National Guard to be removed from post in middle of inauguration

So, who was president when he was ordered removed? Obama! Trump hadn't been sworn yet, therefore didn't have any authority to remove Schwartz. There was no submission of his resignation. I have provided two source that refutes that. He was fired. And Obama didn't have the courtesy to tell him face-to-face as you demand it should be done.

The facts seemed to have alluded you. You still don't get how a presidential transition works. Obama was president when the decision was made; however, the decision was that of the Trump transition team. Hence the turnover occurred at 12:01pm on January 20th. When Trump was sworn in. The General served until the very end of Obama's term because Trump wanted him replaced.

As is customary for presidential appointees, the general submitted a letter of resignation to give the new administration a clean start.

Two military officials with knowledge of the situation said the Trump team decided to accept the resignation.

Army Maj. Jamie Davis, a spokesman at the Defense Department, said Schwartz is classified as a “non-career status employee.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...b5164beba6b_story.html?utm_term=.184f86a4c119

Later in the day, the Post updated its story to note that Schwartz, who was appointed by President George W. Bush, had twice before offered a customary letter of resignation to President Obama which was declined. President-elect Trump however, accepted his resignation, and an as-yet-unnamed interim commander was named by the Pentagon.

http://www.businessinsider.com/dc-national-guard-chief-removed-command-2017-1

Bottom line, IT WAS TRUMP WHO WANTED HIM REPLACED, not Obama.