Car vs. SUV

CityGrl

Time for a nap
BF are trying to determine whether or not the next car should be a car or an SUV.

Cars we're looking at:
BMW 3-series
Volvo
Lexus

SUVs we're looking at:
Jeep Grand Cherokee (has my vote)
Toyota 4Runner
Acura MDX (also has my vote, but $$$)
Subaru

Any advice???

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Check the safety ratings on all the vehicles you want, then compare/contrast the ones that get the best rating. I was bound and determined to make my next vehicle an Xterra, but after D's parents' accident, I've decided to go for a sedan that has better crash test ratings (a Volvo S40).

I've owned a Jeep, and it was a helluva good vehicle. :yay:

Last edited:
C

czygvtwkr

After owning one Toyota I know my next car will be a Toyota or Lexus.

CityGrl

Time for a nap
Nickel said:
Check the safety ratings on all the vehicles you want, then compare/contrast the ones that get the best rating. I was bound and determined to make my next vehicle an Xterra, but after D's parents' accident, I've decided to go for a sedan that has better crash test ratings (a Volvo S40).

I've owned a Jeep, and it was a helluva good vehicle. :yay:

Thanks...we're just doing some preliminary research at the moment. He drives a sports car and I drive an Acura TSX. We're going to keep the TSX for a few more years, so I thought going in the SUV direction would be perfect. The Jeep looked reasonably priced and has everything we need...

Of course I love my Acura, and the MDX comes loaded. Hard choice...

Bogart

Ask your insurance company for a print out showing how expensive various vehicles are to insure. Very helpful.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I have a Toyota Highlander and am very happy with it. I had a Dodge Durango before that, and it was fine, but started having problems. Now it's some elses problem. Before that I had a Thunderbird, I still miss that car. :bawl:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
CityGrl said:
RR, I always thought the Highlander was too small...how is it inside?
It seats five and is fine for me and my needs. The Durango seated 8 and I only used that feature maybe 2-3 times the 4 years I had it.

When I downsized to the Highlander I still had a German Shepherd that I could fit in the back. Not the case now, but it holds all chicklets beach toys etc. and then some. :lol:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I have a Ford Explorer and I love it. BUT, the gas is killing me. I really like the Ford Freestyle. It has excellent safety ratings from NHTSA and very good write ups for reliability,etc. I saw one the other day and it's fairly roomy inside. The Freestyle doesn't have 4 WD like my Explorer but it has AWD.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
A lady I work with bought the Toyota Rav 4 and it is the smallest that Toyota has for an SUV. To me it is to small and a waste of time, I would go with a car instead of that.

Vrai has the Sequoia and I believe that she is very happy with it.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Thanks to the GM Employee Discount for Everyone, and my GM Card account, I was been shopping for the last month. But, I waited too long to close my deal, and inventory was too low to locate an acceptable vehicle.

If everything were equal, I would go for the 4Runner. Unfortunately, GM had about a $4500 advantage on a similarly equipped Envoy/Trailblazer vs the 4Runner. Local dealer was slightly higher than a new 4Runner from Carmax, but I like to buy local when possible. With the sale over, I'll probably wait until the 06's arrive and see how 4Runner versus Envoy matches up then.

If I'm not mistaken, the Highlander is built on the Camry platform, and a very solid vehicle.

So, from your list, I would go with the 4Runner with the Cherokee as a second choice. For cars, avoid a Volvo. Lexus is just an upscale Toyota, which puts BMW at the top unless you want to factor in a Toyota Camry.

Also, consider that you will probably be filling it up with $3 per gallon gasoline, and something like a Camry probably rises to the top of your list (or the comparable Lexus.) You won't get fuel economy out of any SUV.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Why buy an off road truck with 4wd if you never go off road? If you need a large amout of enclosed caro space consider a station wagon. You get the handling and gas milage of a car with the cargo capacity of a SUV. Subaru, Volvo, BMW, Mercedes, VW and Audi all make wagons (Avants). Get the Subaru WRX wagon and you get a little AWD screamer with over 200 hp.

dustin

UAIOE
Oz said:
So, from your list, I would go with the 4Runner with the Cherokee as a second choice. For cars, avoid a Volvo. Lexus is just an upscale Toyota, which puts BMW at the top unless you want to factor in a Toyota Camry.

What are your opinions on Volvo? I always believed they had safety and reliability going for them.

CityGrl

Time for a nap
aps45819 said:
Why buy an off road truck with 4wd if you never go off road? If you need a large amout of enclosed caro space consider a station wagon. You get the handling and gas milage of a car with the cargo capacity of a SUV. Subaru, Volvo, BMW, Mercedes, VW and Audi all make wagons (Avants). Get the Subaru WRX wagon and you get a little AWD screamer with over 200 hp.

Thanks, BF really likes the Subaru, but I figure if we're going for that, why not buy an SUV at the same price?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
CityGrl said:
BF are trying to determine whether or not the next car should be a car or an SUV.

Cars we're looking at:
BMW 3-series
Volvo
Lexus

SUVs we're looking at:
Jeep Grand Cherokee (has my vote)
Toyota 4Runner
Acura MDX (also has my vote, but $$$)
Subaru

Any advice???
I thought you said SUV's?? Those are just glorified Station Wagons.. Be OK, if it's yours, but you may have to castrate the husband before he can be seen driving one of them..

dustin

UAIOE
aps45819 said:
Subaru Legacy 2.5 Sport Wagon :yay: :yay:

250HP STi motor and AWD, only like 75lbs heavier than WRX wagon , cheaper insurance, and hauls more crap