$16,000 to Replace a Tesla Model 3 Battery Pack

glhs837

Power with Control
I've always thought they over estimate the mainntainence costs for ICE vehicles. I've had one from new to 160k (11 years) and one from 8k to 90k (8 years) that I had to put very little maintainence cost into. Tires about every 50k, one set of brakes, and a trans drain and fill for each at 50k that really wasnt needed in either case.

They follow the makers recommend service requirements and average shop rates for labor. Is there a different way to make sure it's apples and apples. No oil changes? No spark plugs?

PeoplesElbow

They follow the makers recommend service requirements and average shop rates for labor. Is there a different way to make sure it's apples and apples. No oil changes? No spark plugs?
Oil changes were like $25, did most myself. No spark plugs in that time. Occasional air filter too, about $20.

Definitely not enough to make up having to buy tires more often, a good set of tires are close to $1k.

Oil changes were like $25, did most myself. No spark plugs in that time. Occasional air filter too, about $20.

Definitely not enough to make up having to buy tires more often, a good set of tires are close to $1k.
And will increase in price considerably aligning with supply and demand. Same as the cost to plug all these vehicles in. Everyone keeps forgetting to consider the increased impact on the grid. By the time it is proven this wasn’t thought out well, it will be too late.No going back.

glhs837

Power with Control

$25? I get no plug changes in 80K, but over 100K. No filters? And again, if you DIY it, then I'll go buy takeoff tires from people upgrading :) See, thats why the math has to have rules. If you want to compare a thrifty DIY guy skipping required stuff then require the other guy to follow the manual, you can skew the math.

glhs837

Power with Control
And will increase in price considerably aligning with supply and demand. Same as the cost to plug all these vehicles in. Everyone keeps forgetting to consider the increased impact on the grid. By the time it is proven this wasn’t thought out well, it will be too late.No going back.

Thats why this changeover should be market forces only, no govt mandate. That way the grid has time to adjust.

I equate the free charging of EVs right now to the crack dealers of 1980's Harlem. "Hey man... here's a free sample. I'll see you in a day or two!"

Free charging is slow charging, and not a huge draw. Most people charge at home and pay for that juice.

OccamsRazor

Free charging is slow charging, and not a huge draw. Most people charge at home and pay for that juice.
Free crack is cheaply made crack. Most people will later get the good stuff and pay more for it too. But, it was the free crack that got them on the dependency line in the first place.

glhs837

Power with Control
Free crack is cheaply made crack. Most people will later get the good stuff and pay more for it too. But, it was the free crack that got them on the dependency line in the first place.

Did you miss the part about most people charging at home? Now, a lot of paid fast charging (really no free fast charging, the outlets cost too much) the costs are all over the map. Theres paid slow charging too, and thats all over the map also. But market forces will settle that out.

One reason I like Tesla. They own their own network and control costs.

PeoplesElbow

$25? I get no plug changes in 80K, but over 100K. No filters? And again, if you DIY it, then I'll go buy takeoff tires from people upgrading :) See, thats why the math has to have rules. If you want to compare a thrifty DIY guy skipping required stuff then require the other guy to follow the manual, you can skew the math.

So comparing actual costs is unfair?

$20 for a jug of Pennzoil platinum at Walmart, $5 for an OEM filter from Toyota.

The four tires from tire rack are $700, mount balance, valvestems, envirofee you're close to 1k

glhs837

Power with Control
So comparing actual costs is unfair?

$20 for a jug of Pennzoil platinum at Walmart, $5 for an OEM filter from Toyota.

The four tires from tire rack are $700, mount balance, valvestems, envirofee you're close to 1k

No, you can do that when making your own comparison, but when trying to compare for the average person, there needs to be commonality. New to new, same standards applied to both vehicles. And if you use a different brand of tire, your lifespan can increase considerably. I don't think I have ever paid for new valestems. And I'll take my old tires to the landfill for $10 :) Curtis changes me about $100 for four tires. So about 800 a set :)

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
California Has No Idea What Its Going To Do With Millions Of Old EV Batteries

The governor wants millions of people to drive EVs. What happens to the batteries when they get old is another issue.

California’s own strict environmental legislation may be another hurdle to battery recycling, as batteries have always been deemed hazardous waste. A bigger hurdle is not knowing what happens to out-of-warranty batteries. The advisory group’s report found that there is no good way to track what happens to these batteries after they come out of old vehicles, suggesting that money be used as an incentive to track the batteries:

One of the concerns mentioned by participants was that once vehicles and/or batteries are out of warranty, it is difficult to track them or control what happens. Given the market-driven nature of the vehicle afterlife industry, returning EOL batteries to a domestic reuse or recycling system essentially relies on there being some financial incentive or benefit for doing so to whoever is handling the battery.

With years to go in the EV transition, California better figure something out quickly. Not knowing what to do with millions of potential environmentally hazardous batteries down the road could be the next ecological disaster.

glhs837

Power with Control
California Has No Idea What Its Going To Do With Millions Of Old EV Batteries

The governor wants millions of people to drive EVs. What happens to the batteries when they get old is another issue.

California’s own strict environmental legislation may be another hurdle to battery recycling, as batteries have always been deemed hazardous waste. A bigger hurdle is not knowing what happens to out-of-warranty batteries. The advisory group’s report found that there is no good way to track what happens to these batteries after they come out of old vehicles, suggesting that money be used as an incentive to track the batteries:

With years to go in the EV transition, California better figure something out quickly. Not knowing what to do with millions of potential environmentally hazardous batteries down the road could be the next ecological disaster.

Look up Redwood Materials.

PeoplesElbow

Kinnakeet

There are a lot of Tesla's around here now.
AND SOONER OR LATER THEY WILL BE FOR SELL BECAUSE THE OWNER CANNOT AFFORD THE BATTERY PACK
JUST THINK IF YOU ARE STRANDED ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD IN A SNOW STORM AND YOUR BATTERY DIES I GUESS THE SAME COULD BE SAID FOR A GAS VEHICLE BUT AT LEAST A TOW TRUCK CAN BRING YOU SOME FUEL ..ILL STICK WIH GAS GUZZLING AIR POLLUTING AMERICAN VEHICLES THANK YOU AND WHEN THE BATTERY IS NO GOOD WHAT DO THEY DO WITH THEM BURRY THEM IN THE GROUND?

Clem72

I have driven some objectively crappy cars and have had very few issues over the years and nothing major (lost a couple fuel pumps, had a couple radiator leaks). Probably 10-12 cars and easily over a million miles. Meanwhile my friend's cars were always in the shop (especially in the 80s).

The only thing I could attribute it to was doing my own basic maintenance.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
AND SOONER OR LATER THEY WILL BE FOR SELL BECAUSE THE OWNER CANNOT AFFORD THE BATTERY PACK
JUST THINK IF YOU ARE STRANDED ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD IN A SNOW STORM AND YOUR BATTERY DIES I GUESS THE SAME COULD BE SAID FOR A GAS VEHICLE BUT AT LEAST A TOW TRUCK CAN BRING YOU SOME FUEL ..ILL STICK WIH GAS GUZZLING AIR POLLUTING AMERICAN VEHICLES THANK YOU AND WHEN THE BATTERY IS NO GOOD WHAT DO THEY DO WITH THEM BURRY THEM IN THE GROUND?
I thought about that when I was traveling 17 down to Norfolk last weekend.

glhs837

Power with Control

1. Quite a few out there, and the evidence is looking good that modern batteries will last as long or longer than gas engines.
2. And there are mobile chargers, not in circulation yet. But there are tens of thousands in use in cold climates and we've not lost anyone yet. Remember, most EV owners top up every night so odds are good that they have more "fuel" than the averager gas car around them.
3. Why look, only three posts up, recycling!!!! Whoda thunk, massive batteries are easier to recycle and worth the effort, unlike billions of cellphones and laptops.

I thought about that when I was traveling 17 down to Norfolk last weekend.

Looks like there are two Superchargers on the way to Norfolk, right across the bridge in King George, and Tappahannock, although at around 190 miles, you wouldn't need to charge in a long range Model 3 (310 mile range) . In the regular range (272) , it suggests a 10 minute top off at Tappahannock. You could be trapped on the road for days and keep the cabin at 70 degrees and watch Netflix while you wait.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Looks like there are two Superchargers on the way to Norfolk, right across the bridge in King George, and Tappahannock, although at around 190 miles, you wouldn't need to charge in a long range Model 3 (310 mile range) . In the regular range (272) , it suggests a 10 minute top off at Tappahannock. You could be trapped on the road for days and keep the cabin at 70 degrees and watch Netflix while you wait.
My cousins house is not set up for charging and I don't want to waste time going to find a charger. I went to visit them, not spend time at a charger.