2023 Hummingbird Thread

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
HaHa, 1 feeder gets six to eight cups a day now and the other gets two cups every three or four days. The one that uses less seems to have a really ornery bully wanting it all to himself, he patrols it and chases about all others away.

Also, never really noticed before but I have one that seems to whistle when it comes zooming by, kind of like a turbocharger whine.
From what I've observed, I only have 4. Two males and two females. And they all take turns chasing each other off. That's not counting the bees and wasps that chase them all off.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
From what I've observed, I only have 4. Two males and two females. And they all take turns chasing each other off. That's not counting the bees and wasps that chase them all off.
I've got two 10-portt feeders, on the one I was able to count 12 before #13 came swooping in and scattered them. Usually once 6 or 7 are on the feeder another arrival always causes a scatter.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I've got two 10-portt feeders, on the one I was able to count 12 before #13 came swooping in and scattered them. Usually once 6 or 7 are on the feeder another arrival always causes a scatter.
Mine don't share. It's a five feeder.

NextJen

Raisin cane
I’m sitting on my deck enjoying this glorious morning. I’m getting a little chuckle out of the bully being bullied. The male hummingbird keeps chasing off the two females that are trying to feed. In turn, when he tries to feed, a yellow jacket keeps chasing him away.

Grumpy

Normally we have dozens of hummers but so far this summer, we've had very few..We haven't changed anything, 4 feeders, sugar water refreshed every few days..Very strange.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Normally we have dozens of hummers but so far this summer, we've had very few..We haven't changed anything, 4 feeders, sugar water refreshed every few days..Very strange.
I only have 3 or 4. Like you, have to change out the nectar long before they use it up. They come in the AM, very little activity during the day, then a lot of activity in the late evening. I think they're seeing someone else.... :ohwell:

Ken King

PREMO Member
Taken with my crappy cell phone -

hb1.jpg

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I have 2 feeders, one 5 port, one 4 port, and maybe 4 birds total. None of them will share. If there is one bird on feeder 'A', another will chase it away, then go to feeder 'B' to drink.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
It seems to be a big year for hummers. We've got a half dozen resident ones where we usually just have a couple of drifters.

NOTSMC

I’m sitting on my deck enjoying this glorious morning. I’m getting a little chuckle out of the bully being bullied. The male hummingbird keeps chasing off the two females that are trying to feed. In turn, when he tries to feed, a yellow jacket keeps chasing him away.
I have at least a dozen juvenile cardinals that feed regularly in my front yard. My hummingbird feeder has a moat and I've noticed the cardinals drinking from it and chasing the hummingbirds away. Two days ago they chased away a blue jay and I thought jays were pretty aggressive birds. The cardinals fight constantly, other birds, each other...anyway. I looked out the window yesterday and I swear I heard fingers snapping as the cardinals faced off as if they were the Sharks and Jets in West Side Story getting ready to rumble.

True story.

Last edited:

Ken King

PREMO Member
Saw my 1st hummingbird of the year today. Miss Phoenix alerted at the patio door and I went over to see what got her attention.
I think you got one heading out of the area. Last week I was going through 10 to 12 cups of nectar a day and now I am down to less than 4 cups a day.

If you are feeding them it is recommended that you keep nectar out for 2 to 3 weeks after you last see one in case of late departures.

NextJen

Raisin cane
Still seeing my bunch as of last evening, Monday, Sept 11. I’ll refresh the nectar Tuesday and again on Thursday and sadly they will have to find food elsewhere after that. I’ll be headed south myself for about a month and they will all be gone when I get back in October. I’ll put my feeder out in SC and probably get some there. The folks who previously owned the house I bought were into bird watching. Have a nice area in the back yard with feeders they left me.