A question about emergency services in St.Mary's

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
Are there any paid EMS,paramedics,etc? A couple years ago,my husband called 911 because someone in our home was having trouble breathing. We waited about 25 minutes,then gave up and drove to the hospital ourselves. I know that is not the best idea,but at the time fear took over the common sense. So it got me to thinking,what happens if one of my kids chokes,or someone has a heart attack,etc. Is the EMS system here to call 911,wait for volunteers to be called,hope they are ready to walk out the door and are sober and nearby,and then someone with minimal training shows up? I am not being critical,I am asking because this really worries me...I have two small kids,one of whom has severe allergic reactions to insects,and if I ever needed help,I would like to feel either more at ease,or know where we would stand.

We have lived here 18 years. Called 911 for the first time last Sept. For our precious grand daughter. We can't say enough positive things about the RVRS, Yes, Ridge. Yet the whole time we've lived here we've contributed $$ to Lex. Pk (LPVRS). Till then. Not happening any more. We now know who 'supports' us. And Our Insurance co may say 1 thing but response say's differently.

OldHillcrestGuy

We have lived here 18 years. Called 911 for the first time last Sept. For our precious grand daughter. We can't say enough positive things about the RVRS, Yes, Ridge. Yet the whole time we've lived here we've contributed $$ to Lex. Pk (LPVRS). Till then. Not happening any more. We now know who 'supports' us. And Our Insurance co may say 1 thing but response say's differently.

I wouldn't be so hard on LPVRS, they are the busiest EMS Dept. in St Mary's by far, proably run 10 times the calls that Ridge gets, and are the best by far getting out on their calls and not scratching. I'd be willing to bet that LPVRS already had one and proably two ambulances already out on calls.
You are very lucky though, it appears that you have Ridge as second due in your area and they are also very good getting out, I understand they drop everything they are doing to run calls, arrive at the fire house or squad building by all means of tranportation ATV's dirt bikes anything with wheels on it.:lmao:

Lilypad

Thats a real shame, all volunteer fire/EMS rely on donations-don't be too hard on LPVRS-as OldHillcrestGuy stated maybe their trucks were out a calls! Glad someone did respond to your emergency!

NTNG

We lived here 15 yrs. We never had to call 911. Shortly after we moved into our new house, neighbor called 911, thought he was having a heart attack. When the ambulance showed up, it was an older man, and a lady. I offered to help them, and helped bring in the cot, gear etc. After they left, I thought " if this is what happens on a Sunday afternoon, whats the response at 3am on a rainy night? "
So I went and joined the local rescue squad.
May I suggest that you do the same, instead of not donating $. I promise they will welcome the help, and your contribution of time and effort will be worth more than any $ you might donate.

SoMDGirl42

We have one girl who fakes passing out has the ambulance called just so she can catch a ride to leonardtown. Once at the hospital she refuses all care and walks out. But the law states we have to take her because someone called 911.

If she's faking passing out, I'd say if you have an IV-Tech on board that calls for a 14 gauge line, just in case she should code. :whistle:

We did that for our frequent flyer at Burch Mart with chest pains who needed a ride to Leonardtown every Saturday to watch the softball games. After a few sticks, he got the point and stopped calling us.

I did my volunteer time too, and it bugs the shiat outta me to hear people complain about it. But let their house catch on fire, have an accident or a medical emergency and they're the ones praising everyone for such a great job taking care of them.:lalala:

Reminds me of the cop (who shall remain nameless) that lived in my area. He would wait to hear a call then stop everyone responding to the rescue squad/fire department and give them a ticket. Yep, I got mine, twice! It was a shame when his house caught on fire. ALL the firefighters made sure they did the speed limit to the firehouse. He transferred to the Eastern Shore shortly afterward. Karma. It's a good thing.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Last year almost to this very day, I witnessed my mother suffer a massive stroke, a heart attack, AND lapse in to a coma. Simultaneously. Unfortunately, she did die three days later, but it certainly was not for lack of proper medical care.

On the day of her incident, I called 911, and within a VERY short period of time, BOTH Ridge and Lexington Park Rescue Squads responded to my call. Because Ridge had arrived just a few moments ahead of LPRS, they took the lead on my mother's case.

I cannot say enough good things about the care, compassion, and urgency from both Ridge and LPRS. They were heros to us that day, and they remain heros to us today. While unpaid, they are truly professionals.

sparkysgirl

I would like to to say on the behalf of SVRSFD Co. 3, thank you to the people in our communities who truly appreciate us and are expressing their thanks. The volunteer's don't necessarily want a bunch of money or the newest pieces (not that we would complain, some pieces are getting close to needing replaced!), but the thanks from you guys is the most important.!

Ridgegirl_4

Ridge Runner
[/QUSame here,I would gladly pay for that. But,still no answers to the question in the post..is it basicaly just a crap shoot as to when someone will show and to what extent they are trained to help,or is there some sort of classification system. In other words,if you call about someone hit by a car,do the paramedics come in a hurry and if you call about B.S. then you get whoever,whenever? What is the plan in this county for dealing with emergencies? My inlaws live next to a bunch of people from the Ridge Rescue Squad,and they are drinking all the time,and if that is who would show up,I am nervous!

I have been an EXTREMELY Active Member of the Ridge Volunteer Rescue Squad for the past 7 years. We do have set crews that are available 24/7 (as I saw someone has already posted that)... you are guaranteed an ambulance at your time of need. My issue is with the above post - about members from the RVRS drinking "ALL THE TIME"... I sure would like to know who your inlaws are. I have a hard time believing that our members are drinking "ALL THE TIME". Mainly because the majority of our membership consists of elderly individuals who do not consume alcohol. Yes, there are a few younger members in our organization, however, they aren't the partying type. Therefore, I have a hard time believing your accusation of the members of the RVRS drinking "ALL THE TIME". Don't get me wrong, everyone is entitled to a good time every now and then and the RVRS members are normal community members who are not exempt from that. But I can GUARANTEE that the ambulance crew from the Ridge Volunteer Rescue Squad that shows up in your time of need has not touched alcohol while being on duty.

bcp

In My Opinion
I have a hard time picturing someone that goes out on a regular basis and scrapes the drunks out of their mangled cars being a drunken party animal.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
If you are unhappy with the reaction time in your area go volunteer. It doesn't have to be every night, just once in a while.

Most of the volunteers do work full-time jobs and during the day not all the volunteers can run duty because their companies are not thrilled about them leaving for a call.

Also don't make the assumption that everyone is a SMIB that is a volunteer.

ocean733

My husband and I were having dinner out one rainy and cold night and some volunteers came in to eat. They had just gotten their orders when they got a call. One of them commented it was the 3rd time that night they had tried to eat. The manager said they'd have something for them whenever they got back - no charge. I know I really appreciate all they do. I'm sure they would have had a lot more enjoyable evening at home and that was just one of many.

:clap:

bcp

In My Opinion
To be specific,I was talking about **** ****** for one. And as for "most members being elderly"..holy sh*t..maybe you better get some back up in case THEY need the stretchers.
now Im no lawyer or anything but, Im pretty sure that mentioning someone specifically by name in such a manner could be considered a not so good thing to do?

and as far as Im concerned, if he or any of them sit around the yard and get drunk to blow off some steam after pulling dead children out of car accidents, or rushing someone to the hospital with a heart attack, or some serious injury, more power to them, they earned that right.

they do what I dont think I could.

smcop

It's been said before, if you don't like the way EMS in St. Mary's is handled - join and help make it better. So far you've been nothing but disrespectful to those who give of their own time to help us. You can continue to complain, which I suspect you enjoy, or help. Your call.

I've had only good experiences with local EMS. They've been nothing short of professional and caring. I say a prayer for them and their patients every time I pull to the side when they pass.

Fredsaidsaiditbest! :yeahthat:

This_person

It's been said before, if you don't like the way EMS in St. Mary's is handled - join and help make it better.
If you are unhappy with the reaction time in your area go volunteer. It doesn't have to be every night, just once in a while.

Most of the volunteers do work full-time jobs and during the day not all the volunteers can run duty because their companies are not thrilled about them leaving for a call.
Becoming a volunteer is not the ONLY answer. Working within the system to effect changes (say, to go to a paid system in the highest call areas) is also an option. Only a very small percentage of the population CAN volunteer, and only a small portion of that population WILL volunteer. When the number of calls exceeds the effectiveness of the current system, the system must change. Hopefully, no one will die because of resistance to change.
I've had only good experiences with local EMS. They've been nothing short of professional and caring. I say a prayer for them and their patients every time I pull to the side when they pass.
:yeahthat: