Accident in Leonardtown

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by Pete
This is the same stretch of road I was complaining about a few weeks back only further in towards LT. Turning into the road to Elementary school form Rt 5 (where the flashing lights are) is dangerous because the a$$holes come into Leonardtown to the 245 light about 60. I think a cop should sit there every morning at the gas station on the corner. They should snag a few thousand $$ in tickets a day.

That's easy. Rather than turning left from Route 5 and taking your life into your hands, head into town and turn right in front of the Catholic Church. From there, you're on the back street and heading right for the Elementary School. Easier on the nerves...

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by Oz
That's easy. Rather than turning left from Route 5 and taking your life into your hands, head into town and turn right in front of the Catholic Church. From there, you're on the back street and heading right for the Elementary School. Easier on the nerves...
Thats what I ended up doing a few months ago. I go through the light and turn down the alley next to Bells.

:howdy: welcome back OZ BTW

sifl

In general you should stay out of the left hand lane unless you are overtaking. I never ride in that left hand lane because of all the people making left hand turns. If someone were going to Mississippi they probably should wait until they pass Leonardtown Center before getting into the left hand lane.

TWL

Kernel panic: Aiee.......
Originally posted by sifl
In general you should stay out of the left hand lane unless you are overtaking. I never ride in that left hand lane because of all the people making left hand turns. If someone were going to Mississippi they probably should wait until they pass Leonardtown Center before getting into the left hand lane.
Normally that would be true but we were planning to Taco Bell/KFC have for lunch.

Pete

Repete
Quoted for IM4 :ohwell:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones

b/s people should just learn how to drive/turn properly. One of my pet peeves is idiots who brake in the left lane when there is a turn lane. You should never brake in the main driving lanes (unless there's an emergency of sorts or no turn lane) that's what turn lanes are for. :burning:

I saw a turtle get clobered yesterday and I'm still disturbed. I've never seen anything get hit. It was in the opposite lane and I had just passed it. He was almost to the center of the road. Two cars passed it at the same time I did and moved 6 inches to the right to avoid it. I was going to turn around as soon as I could and go get him. But then comes a 3rd car, some a-hole in a mini van going way too fast and goes right over him. The whole thing splattered and the shell got kicked up in the air. It was gross. I was po-ed for the rest of the ride home. :burning:

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by pixiegirl
b/s people should just learn how to drive/turn properly. One of my pet peeves is idiots who brake in the left lane when there is a turn lane. You should never brake in the main driving lanes (unless there's an emergency of sorts or no turn lane) that's what turn lanes are for. :burning:

I saw a turtle get clobered yesterday and I'm still disturbed. I've never seen anything get hit. It was in the opposite lane and I had just passed it. He was almost to the center of the road. Two cars passed it at the same time I did and moved 6 inches to the right to avoid it. I was going to turn around as soon as I could and go get him. But then comes a 3rd car, some a-hole in a mini van going way too fast and goes right over him. The whole thing splattered and the shell got kicked up in the air. It was gross. I was po-ed for the rest of the ride home. :burning:
There is no left turn lane on 5 in LT

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
There is no left turn lane on 5 in LT

I was just b!tching in general. I understand that there are places with no turn lanes. Then you shouldn't be driving in the left lane and you really shouldn't be driving fast enough to need to pass someone. But as a general rule of thumb I'm not opposed to driving in the left lane and I think that idiots that don't know how to drive should stay off the road period.

D

dems4me

Originally posted by pixiegirl
[B) I was going to turn around as soon as I could and go get him. :burning: [/B]

I stop and help turtles cross the road tooo!!!:yay: :yay: glad to hear others still do this as well... you have a sweet heart pixie :yay: :yay:

Cletus_Vandam

Road Problems

I think you can find fault with the drivers who casue the accidents along this stretch of the road. But, the layout and design of the passage between the 234/5 split and the 5/4 split really needs to be re-worked. With there only being four travel lanes, there really isn't an opertunity to "blame" slower cars being in the left lane as any cause to an accident. This is a very populated business district and realistically you could make a left or a right hand turn pretty much anywhere between the new CVS and the light at the Burchmart. The speed limit is 40 that road, and I can tell you from experience, that if you go past the Taco Bell, stay in your left lane (having intentions of turning left into the True Value) I can guarantee you that you're going to have a box truck or some other a**hole riding your a** for that mile and half... Turn your blinker on and he's swerving into the right lane to try and beat the guy that trying to beat him to the next light.

Until the SHA gets their thumb out of their "tuckas" (?spelling?) and spends a few million on installing a center a turn lane for this several miles, there's going to be an accident everyday.... The will certainly be fatailities that go with these...

Puttin' a cop there isn't going to be the ultimate solution.

Elle

Happy Camper!
You would think that area would become a big priority with the addition of that new housing development planned for that area.

TWL

Kernel panic: Aiee.......
I've been doing some research and this streach of Rt. 5 had the most accidents in the county during 2001. pg. 33

Also on pg. 63, widening Rt. 5 between Rt. 243 and Rt. 245 is in the Southern Maryland Regional Transportation Needs Inventory. I really don't see how this will be possible without business owners loosing out. Something defanantly needs to be done. Possibly lowering the speed limit; then again alot of peeps disregard speed limits. I still don't see the justification that Rt. 5 through Leonardtown has a 40MPH limit while Great Mills Rd. through Lex. Park has a 35MPH limit; it should be the other way around. BTW, traffic was flowing at 35MPH at the time of the accident.

Elle

Happy Camper!
Originally posted by TWL
possibly lowering the speed limit

They just raised it within the last 5 (maybe 10) years, it used to be 35, I doubt they would lower it again:ohwell:

K

Kizzy

Quoted for IM4 :ohwell:

You know, I never noticed I did that until you said something. Since then, I have paid particular attention to where I end up, and yes, I am a left lane camper. :shrug:

But I also noticed that it would seem wise to travel the left lane on the beltway, since most exits going on and off are on the right.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by tys_mommy
They just raised it within the last 5 (maybe 10) years, it used to be 35, I doubt they would lower it again:ohwell:

It was 30MPH through the hospital zone, from just north of Moakley street, through the light at Route 245. A few years after the bypass was built, the speed limit on the entire stretch was raised to 40MPH.

As Cletus said, it's drivers fault typically. Failure to control your vehicle and/or reduce speed to avoid an accident. One lady had an accident in the spot that our somd.com friends got hit, and said "I don't have time for this" as she was getting out of her car. Obviously, she was an accident looking for another car to run into. Another lady was too busy eating her lunch to see the motorcycle turning in front of her. Fortunately, she punted him into the grass and not oncoming traffic or a fixed object. Although I'm sure he was hurtin' the next day.

If drivers followed the speed limit, left enough distance in front of them, and actually paid attention to their driving, the folks driving to the funeral would have been there, and the accidents that happen weelky would be great reduced or eliminated. Until that happens (and it never will) watch your back when you're turning, and watch what's in front of you too!