Accident in Leonardtown

D

dems4me

Originally posted by kwillia
That is my understanding... 1 year to date to file.... but it could take a max of 3 years to settle.

For the actual cite look up Md. Courts & Jud. Proc. Code Ann. § 5-101 et. seq. it says 3 years for personal injury and property :shrug:

or you can read it on this webcite :shrug:

"caraccidentstoday.com"

In Texas, Alabama, and Georgia, automobile accident claims must be brought within 2 years from the date of the accident. Florida has a 4 year statute of limitations for automobile claims. Mississippi has a 3 year statute of limitations as does Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan and North Carolina. These time periods are changed every so often. You should check with a lawyer in your state to determine the applicable statute of limitations for your claim.

3 years does seem like big window of time as opposed to 1 year :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Originally posted by tys_mommy
That's what I thought, can't they say you were following, or in your case stopped, too close to the car in front of you.:confused:

That's what I've been told as well and the wonderful state of MD has sent me to driver improvement classes a couple times. If you're stopped too closely to the car in front of you and are rearended and end up hitting them then you are at fault for not leaving enough room. :confused:

I was in a 3 car accident on 270 about 4 years ago. Traffic stopped in front of me, I stopped. Car behind me stopped. Car behind him did NOT stop. All the accident damage was the fault of the car that did not stop. Everybody else did not have their insurance/record impacted.

Elle

Happy Camper!
Originally posted by dems4me
3 years does seem like big window of time as opposed to 1 year :shrug:

Also seems like a lot of time for "other" injuries to come to light:ohwell:

BTW, anyone have any info on a little girl that was in the accident in front of 7-11 in the park yesterday???

D

dems4me

Originally posted by tys_mommy
Also seems like a lot of time for "other" injuries to come to light:ohwell:

BTW, anyone have any info on a little girl that was in the accident in front of 7-11 in the park yesterday???

I definately agree with that but I looked up Maryland Code (Md. Courts & Jud. Proc. Code Ann. § 5-101 et. seq.) and it says 3 years??? Who can actually recall details accurately in court from something that happened 3 years ago?

Stang Girl

Mr. and Mrs.!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by kwillia
That is my understanding... 1 year to date to file.... but it could take a max of 3 years to settle.

Oh yes that’s right it can take as long as it wants to be settled but you have only 1 year to date to file. If you miss that date oh well you are screwed.

D

dems4me

Originally posted by Stang Girl
Oh yes that’s right it can take as long as it wants to be settled but you have only 1 year to date to file. If you miss that date oh well you are screwed.

Where are y'all coming up with a one year statute of limitations?:confused: :confused:

Stang Girl

Mr. and Mrs.!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by dems4me
Where are y'all coming up with a one year statute of limitations?:confused: :confused:

No I was told by my teacher that you have 1 year to fail the lawsuit.

I am just going by what I was told in class

D

dems4me

Originally posted by Stang Girl
No I was told by my teacher that you have 1 year to fail the lawsuit.

I am just going by what I was told in class

did your teacher say it was called failling a lawsuit too? :shrug:

K

Katie

Well the following to close was a Mass thing. My insurance and record got nailed because I was the middle car. It was my fault for not leaving enough space between my car and the car in front of me. IT wasn't fair, but I couldn't do squat about it. Fight the state, yeah right not enough money.

lfquade

Originally posted by Katie
Well the following to close was a Mass thing. My insurance and record got nailed because I was the middle car. It was my fault for not leaving enough space between my car and the car in front of me. IT wasn't fair, but I couldn't do squat about it. Fight the state, yeah right not enough money.

Sorry to hear you got screwed. In my case when we got rearended we couldn't beliveve we did because the car that hit us was a car length behind, but still hit us. So not in all cases is the person behind to close, but I guess by law the person in #1 car has the legal right to sue #2 and #3. Which sucks. In my case I just sued the #3 car. But oh well.

D

dems4me

Originally posted by Katie

Isn't there some sort of chain reaction clause or something that would apply? Generally who ever hits from behind is always liable for one reason or another, but circumstances forced their car into the car in front.
If you plan on taking this to court tigg, you may want to see if there are tire marks where TWL applied the breaks and the distance of them and take a picture if you can... you can see how far your car was from the car in front of you upon impact... that may help :shrug: You can get an expert to estimate the speed of the car behind you from your skid marks and the car behind y'all's from the skid marks, you can see how far pushed, etc... before you hit the car in front of you... there should be some slight indication of a braking skid and then a slight change when you skidded into the car in front:shrug:

oldredneck

Two scenarios - if the vehicle in front stopped suddenly and the middle vehicle strikes the front vehicle - that's one accident and the middle vehicle is at fault for damages on that one. Then, the rear vehicle strikes the middle vehicle (AFTER the middle vehicle strikes the first vehicle) that's accident #2 and the last vehicle is responsible for that one...although the rear car's insurance company will probably only conver the damage to the rear of the middle car, and the middle car's insurance company will pick up the damage to the front of the car, and the damage to the front vehicle.

Second scenario - if the front vehicle stops suddenly, and the middle vehicle hits the brakes AND COMES TO A COMPLETE STOP and does NOT strike the front vehicle....then the back vehicle comes along, strikes the middle one (who is completely stopped) and pushed middle into first, that is ONE accident and the rear vehicle is at fault for the entire thing.

Whew!

With a personal injury accident, I'm assuming the Sheriff's Office or State Police investigated it. Get a copy of the accident report and see what it says for the "at fault" vehicle.

Good luck!

D

dems4me

Originally posted by oldredneck
Two scenarios - if the vehicle in front stopped suddenly and the middle vehicle strikes the front vehicle - that's one accident and the middle vehicle is at fault for damages on that one. Then, the rear vehicle strikes the middle vehicle (AFTER the middle vehicle strikes the first vehicle) that's accident #2 and the last vehicle is responsible for that one...although the rear car's insurance company will probably only conver the damage to the rear of the middle car, and the middle car's insurance company will pick up the damage to the front of the car, and the damage to the front vehicle.

Second scenario - if the front vehicle stops suddenly, and the middle vehicle hits the brakes AND COMES TO A COMPLETE STOP and does NOT strike the front vehicle....then the back vehicle comes along, strikes the middle one (who is completely stopped) and pushed middle into first, that is ONE accident and the rear vehicle is at fault for the entire thing.

Whew!

With a personal injury accident, I'm assuming the Sheriff's Office or State Police investigated it. Get a copy of the accident report and see what it says for the "at fault" vehicle.
From what Tigger has told me, it was the second scenario. I don't think they are liable for anything :shrug: If it was me, I doubt I'd get a law suit going over this though.... :wink:

Cletus_Vandam

"Want-To-Be" Lawyers

Man are there a lot of want to be lawyers out there... I would suggest going to a real lawyer and getting the real scoop regardless of whether you feel fine now or not... You may have something that takes a week or longer to develope. If you have any intention of filing a suit against the other parties involved in the accident, you need to get the paper trail started early. I know from first hand experience...

I could tell you how long you have to file and what you can "typically" expect to get for damages, but then I'd be just like (most) everyone else and be giving advice on somthing I shouldn't.

Cletus_Vandam

That peice of road "stinks"

I go through Leonardtown on the avaerage of two to three times a day. As a matter of fact, I drove by that accident on Friday (if it was around 3:00 p.m.

There is an accident in the stretch of the road EVERY DAY. I wonder how many accidents (and possible fatailites) will have to occur before SHA gets off their rears and puts in a center turn lane? :confused: But then again, anyone who has been in this area for a long time knows what the Mechanicsville "CF" is like every morning and afternoon. Nothing has been done to that area since the horses were hauling tobacco to the markets there.:cussing:

D

dems4me

Re: "Want-To-Be" Lawyers

Originally posted by Cletus_Vandam
Man are there a lot of want to be lawyers out there... I would suggest going to a real lawyer and getting the real scoop regardless of whether you feel fine now or not... You may have something that takes a week or longer to develope. If you have any intention of filing a suit against the other parties involved in the accident, you need to get the paper trail started early. I know from first hand experience...

I could tell you how long you have to file and what you can "typically" expect to get for damages, but then I'd be just like (most) everyone else and be giving advice on somthing I shouldn't.

:rolleyes: no one is trying to play lawyer - we are all just giving our two cents worth of suggestions for Tigger. Tigger and TWL can sift through the suggestions or call a law office to find out the factual information. Tigger is fully aware that we are not attorneys. :rolleyes:
If you are not giving any advice, why did you even bother to post? Was it to offer your suggestion of getting a "paper trail" early ??? and then say you like most everyone else, won't be giving advice on something you shouldnt':shrug: Your suggestion being -- getting a paper trail started early???:confused: Which is it :shrug: a bash on those trying to help her -- or you saying you won't help her but yet still do offer a suggestion :shrug: :confused: :confused: