Acne and my 12-year old

J

julz20684

My daughter has suffered from acne on her face, arms, shoulders and back. She's 12 and in 7th grade. We have tried just about every over the counter product, purchased month after month of Proactive, gotten prescription Benzaclyn cream and oral antiobiotic from Dermatologist...all to no avail.

Does anyone have any suggestions? She's embarrased and other kids can be so cruel :frown:

I would recommend you take her to a dermatologist. You wouldn't want her to end up with permanent scars as you try to "fix" it yourself.

Oops. Just saw where you added you've been the dermatologist route. Another alternative would by a OB/GYN and low dose birth control pills.

Pete

Repete
julz20684 said:
My daughter has suffered from acne on her face, arms, shoulders and back. She's 12 and in 7th grade. We have tried just about every over the counter product, purchased month after month of Proactive, gotten prescription Benzaclyn cream and oral antiobiotic from Dermatologist...all to no avail.

Does anyone have any suggestions? She's embarrased and other kids can be so cruel :frown:
I had cystic acne, I was on the first clinical trial for Accutane and it was not good but I believe they have refined it.

My demratologist back then said wait until you are 24 it will go away.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
julz20684 said:

My son had excellent results from Accutane, but now it is slowly coming back. Our dermatologist has discontinued giving the prescription due to the number of side effects and insurance issues.

Have you also checked for food allergies? I had two friends - brothers - that had terrible cystic acne only to find out they were allergic to milk. Cut out the milk and away went the acne. You may want to look into that as well.

Give her a :huggy: from me. Kids are incredibly cruel at that age.

J

julz20684

kwillia said:
I would recommend you take her to a dermatologist. You wouldn't want her to end up with permanent scars as you try to "fix" it yourself.

Oops. Just saw where you added you've been the dermatologist route. Another alternative would by a OB/GYN and low dose birth control pills.

:faint: She's only 12...I know it helps with acne, but the thought of her being on birth control pills...I could just die!

J

julz20684

bresamil said:
My son had excellent results from Accutane, but now it is slowly coming back. Our dermatologist has discontinued giving the prescription due to the number of side effects and insurance issues.

Have you also checked for food allergies? I had two friends - brothers - that had terrible cystic acne only to find out they were allergic to milk. Cut out the milk and away went the acne. You may want to look into that as well.

I've never thought it could be an allergy. Was it just milk or all dairy products?

Thank you for your kindness and yes I just want to kick other kids' a$$ sometimes.

J

julz20684

Pete said:
I had cystic acne, I was on the first clinical trial for Accutane and it was not good but I believe they have refined it.

My demratologist back then said wait until you are 24 it will go away.

Yeah, I just hate for her to have to suffer through it that long. I think we'll be heading back to the Dermatologies or for her first OB/GYN visit :bawl:

julz20684 said:
:faint: She's only 12...I know it helps with acne, but the thought of her being on birth control pills...I could just die!
I'm being serious. The acne is happening because of hormones. A good ob/gyn would check her hormonal levels and could balance her out. I know of a few girls who went this route and were successful.

J

julz20684

kwillia said:
I'm being serious. The acne is happening because of hormones. A good ob/gyn would check her hormonal levels and could balance her out. I know of a few girls who went this route and were successful.

I knew you were being serious and I've had someone else tell me to look into that, just the idea is a little hard to swallow. Besides her cycles are so messed up due to the fact that she just started this year. Poor thing is suffering every 2 weeks for a full week.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
julz20684 said:
I've never thought it could be an allergy. Was it just milk or all dairy products?

Thank you for your kindness and yes I just want to kick other kids' a$$ sometimes.

They didn't give up cheese or yogurt but they stopped drinking milk and eating ice cream. Anyhow it worked, but they found out so late, there was a great deal of scarring.

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
kwillia said:

I took Yasmin and I never had a breakout while I was on it. :yay:

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
bresamil said:

I also had a friend with horrible acne who found out it was a milk allergy. He lived with it from his preteen years, into his late 20s. A doctor finally told him to give up his strawberry milk habit, and it all cleared up. Sucks that he lived with it for so long.

CMC122

Go Braves!
julz20684 said:
Yeah, I just hate for her to have to suffer through it that long. I think we'll be heading back to the Dermatologies or for her first OB/GYN visit :bawl:
Don't forget to ask about the allergy testing too:yay:

goldielocks7

julz20684 said:

Aveeno Products are wonderful. BODY WASH and LOTION is a great source for ache/pimples. My son loves it! He calls it THE MAGIC STUFF lol. Constanstly have her use the lotion and see the results, I was so amazed.....

J

julz20684

bresamil said:
They didn't give up cheese or yogurt but they stopped drinking milk and eating ice cream. Anyhow it worked, but they found out so late, there was a great deal of scarring.

Do Drs. do some type of food allergy testing?

CMC122

Go Braves!
Mrs. Jones said:
I took Yasmin and I never had a breakout while I was on it. :yay:
All birth control pills will clear your skin up. Dosen't matter which one you use. And Yasmin is a low dose pill which is :yay::yay:

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
CMC122 said:
All birth control pills will clear your skin up. Dosen't matter which one you use. And Yasmin is a low dose pill which is :yay::yay:
So she'll still have to use condoms.