Acne and my 12-year old

J

julz20684

kwillia said:
What foundation is she using? I am almost 40 and have had to deal with acne since pre-teen years. It was only after Vrai got me started on Bare Minerals that I have had a near flawless complexion. It turns out I was making the problem worse by using foundations that were aggravating the acne. I wish I knew then what I know now.

My daughter will be started on nothing but Bare Minerals whenever she gets to using makeup.

She uses a wide variety of brands, nothing in particular. She likes one of the products I use - can't remember the name right now...CRS is kicking in.

You know, I'm still dealing with breakouts too...as a matter of fact the older I get the worse it gets; but not an all over breakout, just certain spots. I stopped using foundation and only use powder but still I get breakouts. I always chalked it up to stress or PMS.

Is Bare Minerals carried in stores? Where can I check it out?

Lilypad

julz20684 said:
:shrug: What's all the negative reports about

What are the possible side effects of Accutane?

Accutane has possible serious side effects· Accutane can cause birth defects, premature births, and death in babies whose mothers took Accutane while they were pregnant. See "What is the most important information I should know about Accutane?" and "What are the important warnings for females taking Accutane?"

· Serious mental health problems.
· Serious brain problems. Accutane can increase the pressure in your brain. This can lead to permanent loss of sight, or in rare cases, death. Stop taking Accutane and call your prescriber right away if you get any of these signs of increased brain pressure: bad headache, blurred vision, dizziness, nausea, or vomiting. Also, some patients taking Accutane have had seizures (convulsions) or stroke.

· Abdomen (stomach area) problems. Certain symptoms may mean that your internal organs are being damaged. These organs include the liver, pancreas, bowel (intestines), and esophagus (connection between mouth and stomach). If your organs are damaged, they may not get better even after you stop taking Accutane. Stop taking Accutane and call your prescriber if you get severe stomach, chest or bowel pain, trouble swallowing or painful swallowing, new or worsening heartburn, diarrhea, rectal bleeding, yellowing of your skin or eyes, or dark urine.

· Bone and muscle problems. Accutane may affect bones, muscles, and ligaments and cause pain in your joints or muscles. Tell your prescriber if you plan vigorous physical activity during treatment with Accutane. Tell your prescriber if you develop pain, particularly back pain or joint pain. There are reports that some patients have had stunted growth after taking Accutane for acne as directed. There are also some reports of broken bones or reduced healing of broken bones after taking Accutane for acne as directed. No one knows if taking Accutane for acne will affect your bones. If you have a broken bone, tell your provider that you are taking Accutane. Muscle weakness with or without pain can be a sign of serious muscle damage. If this happens, stop taking Accutane and call your prescriber right away.

· Hearing problems. Some people taking Accutane have developed hearing problems. It is possible that hearing loss can be permanent. Stop using Accutane and call your prescriber if your hearing gets worse or if you have ringing in your ears.

· Vision problems. While taking Accutane you may develop a sudden inability to see in the dark, so driving at night can be dangerous. This condition usually clears up after you stop taking Accutane, but it may be permanent. Other serious eye effects can occur. Stop taking Accutane and call your prescriber right away if you have any problems with your vision or dryness of the eyes that is painful or constant.

· Lipid (fats and cholesterol in blood) problems. Many people taking Accutane develop high levels of cholesterol and other fats in their blood. This can be a serious problem. Return to your prescriber for blood tests to check your lipids and to get any needed treatment. These problems generally go away when Accutane treatment is finished.

· Allergic reactions. In some people, Accutane can cause serious allergic reactions. Stop taking Accutane and get emergency care right away if you develop hives, a swollen face or mouth, or have trouble breathing. Stop taking Accutane and call your prescriber if you develop a fever, rash, or red patches or bruises on your legs.

· Signs of other possibly serious problems. Accutane may cause other problems. Tell your prescriber if you have trouble breathing (shortness of breath), are fainting, are very thirsty or urinate a lot, feel weak, have leg swelling, convulsions, slurred speech, problems moving, or any other serious or unusual problems. Frequent urination and thirst can be signs of blood sugar problems.

Shall I go on??
:whistle:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
julz20684 said:
I knew you were being serious and I've had someone else tell me to look into that, just the idea is a little hard to swallow. Besides her cycles are so messed up due to the fact that she just started this year. Poor thing is suffering every 2 weeks for a full week.
If it's any consolation, the BCP might help regulate her cycle, which would be an added bonus to using it as an acne solution.

Lilypad

The common less serious side effects of Accutane are dry skin, chapped lips, dry eyes, and dry nose that may lead to nosebleeds. People who wear contact lenses may have trouble wearing them while taking Accutane and after therapy. Sometimes, people’s acne may get worse for a while.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Pete said:
I had cystic acne, I was on the first clinical trial for Accutane and it was not good but I believe they have refined it.

My demratologist back then said wait until you are 24 it will go away.

24, yea right. Mom said zits will go away when puberty goes away. Well, at 50 years old, Im the oldest person I know going thru puberty. :lmao:

J

julz20684

Lilypad said:
What are the possible side effects of Accutane?

Accutane has possible serious side effects· Accutane can cause birth defects, premature births, and death in babies whose mothers took Accutane while they were pregnant. See "What is the most important information I should know about Accutane?" and "What are the important warnings for females taking Accutane?"

· Serious mental health problems.
· Serious brain problems. Accutane can increase the pressure in your brain. This can lead to permanent loss of sight, or in rare cases, death. Stop taking Accutane and call your prescriber right away if you get any of these signs of increased brain pressure: bad headache, blurred vision, dizziness, nausea, or vomiting. Also, some patients taking Accutane have had seizures (convulsions) or stroke.

· Abdomen (stomach area) problems. Certain symptoms may mean that your internal organs are being damaged. These organs include the liver, pancreas, bowel (intestines), and esophagus (connection between mouth and stomach). If your organs are damaged, they may not get better even after you stop taking Accutane. Stop taking Accutane and call your prescriber if you get severe stomach, chest or bowel pain, trouble swallowing or painful swallowing, new or worsening heartburn, diarrhea, rectal bleeding, yellowing of your skin or eyes, or dark urine.

· Bone and muscle problems. Accutane may affect bones, muscles, and ligaments and cause pain in your joints or muscles. Tell your prescriber if you plan vigorous physical activity during treatment with Accutane. Tell your prescriber if you develop pain, particularly back pain or joint pain. There are reports that some patients have had stunted growth after taking Accutane for acne as directed. There are also some reports of broken bones or reduced healing of broken bones after taking Accutane for acne as directed. No one knows if taking Accutane for acne will affect your bones. If you have a broken bone, tell your provider that you are taking Accutane. Muscle weakness with or without pain can be a sign of serious muscle damage. If this happens, stop taking Accutane and call your prescriber right away.

· Hearing problems. Some people taking Accutane have developed hearing problems. It is possible that hearing loss can be permanent. Stop using Accutane and call your prescriber if your hearing gets worse or if you have ringing in your ears.

· Vision problems. While taking Accutane you may develop a sudden inability to see in the dark, so driving at night can be dangerous. This condition usually clears up after you stop taking Accutane, but it may be permanent. Other serious eye effects can occur. Stop taking Accutane and call your prescriber right away if you have any problems with your vision or dryness of the eyes that is painful or constant.

· Lipid (fats and cholesterol in blood) problems. Many people taking Accutane develop high levels of cholesterol and other fats in their blood. This can be a serious problem. Return to your prescriber for blood tests to check your lipids and to get any needed treatment. These problems generally go away when Accutane treatment is finished.

· Allergic reactions. In some people, Accutane can cause serious allergic reactions. Stop taking Accutane and get emergency care right away if you develop hives, a swollen face or mouth, or have trouble breathing. Stop taking Accutane and call your prescriber if you develop a fever, rash, or red patches or bruises on your legs.

· Signs of other possibly serious problems. Accutane may cause other problems. Tell your prescriber if you have trouble breathing (shortness of breath), are fainting, are very thirsty or urinate a lot, feel weak, have leg swelling, convulsions, slurred speech, problems moving, or any other serious or unusual problems. Frequent urination and thirst can be signs of blood sugar problems.

Shall I go on??
:whistle:

:shocked: Nope I've read enough, thanks -- no Accutane for her.

julz20684 said:
She uses a wide variety of brands, nothing in particular. She likes one of the products I use - can't remember the name right now...CRS is kicking in.

You know, I'm still dealing with breakouts too...as a matter of fact the older I get the worse it gets; but not an all over breakout, just certain spots. I stopped using foundation and only use powder but still I get breakouts. I always chalked it up to stress or PMS.

Is Bare Minerals carried in stores? Where can I check it out?
www.sephora.com Chose Bare Essentials from the "brand" menu. Order a starter kit and you will get all the brushes and stuff you need to get started. I recommend ordering one for you and one for her. It really works so it's worth the initial cost. If you order today, it will be delivered by Friday. We are practically neighbors so when it comes in, give me a call and I'll come over and do a "make over" on you both. BTW, use JACKPOT in the promo code and you will get a ton of great samples.

J

julz20684

K_Jo said:
Read this. By page 2, you'll be ordering your very own Starter Kit. Everybody but Pixie has gotten sucked in. :lol:

And I agree with Kwillia -- although I've never had an acne problem, my skin has never looked better!! Bare Minerals is the cat's meow! :yay: :yay:

Oooohhhhh, I likey! I want me some Bare Minerals!

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
julz20684 said:
Yeah, I just hate for her to have to suffer through it that long. I think we'll be heading back to the Dermatologies or for her first OB/GYN visit :bawl:

Trust me, her first OBGYN app. will be worse than eating aby birth control pill. PS...dont tell her their BC pills. Give her a big hug. Zits suck. :huggy:

julz20684 said:
Oooohhhhh, I likey! I want me some Bare Minerals!
You won't regret it. Especially if you haven't found a product that you are completely sold on after all these years. Pixie didn't care for it, but Pixie was already very happy with her MAC products.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
kwillia said:
You won't regret it. Especially if you haven't found a product that you are completely sold on after all these years. Pixie didn't care for it, but Pixie was already very happy with her MAC products.
:howdy: I alternate between MAC and Bare Minerals and find that they are comparable. I just don't have the capacity to stick with one brand. :biggrin:

Using a high quality makeup will help, Jules, but it most likely won't eliminate the problem. You are still going to have to help her figure out a way to get control of the outbreaks.

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
kwillia said:
I order from Sephora and not Bareminerals.com because I want control of when to order the next shipment of makeup.
Yeah, I just canceled my auto-ship thing with them. I have enough foundation to last two years. :lol:

That's another thing, Julz--the stuff last FOREVER.

Nanny Pam

K_Jo said:
Read this. By page 2, you'll be ordering your very own Starter Kit. Everybody but Pixie has gotten sucked in. :lol:

And I agree with Kwillia -- although I've never had an acne problem, my skin has never looked better!! Bare Minerals is the cat's meow! :yay: :yay:
Yes, it is! :cartwheel
I don't wear makeup every day, but when I do, it looks so good that one of my "MaryKay" mommies has remarked on how good it looks.

baileydog said:
Sorry but 12 is just too young for make up.
She won't look like she is wearing makeup if she's using Bare Minerals. 12 is old enough to take a major hit to confidence and self esteem if one is terrified of going out in public for fear of ridicule.

J

julz20684

kwillia said:

I can't tell you the hundreds and hundres of $$ I have probably spent on makeup and I still can't find something I really like. I can't stand feeling like I am wearing makeup and everything feels so heavy. I never wear makeup at home anymore, only for work and going out.

J

julz20684

kwillia said:
She won't look like she is wearing makeup if she's using Bare Minerals. 12 is old enough to take a major hit to confidence and self esteem if one is terrified of going out in public for fear of ridicule.

Exactly