AI News and Information

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Anyone who puts their trust of, basically, their whole house functions, including security, to an electronic device/system/app, AI.... is a fool.
I learned my suspicions when I was a communications and electronic security technician in a USAFR unit attached to SAC HQ 89 - 91.
Equipment I had then, I could hack most any current residential system.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Altman is a big fan of a UBI and has been funding a nonprofit called UBI Charitable, which carries a mission “to research and deploy Universal Basic Income (UBI) programs — the no-strings-attached payouts scheme that futurists like Altman and Musk believe will be necessary when advances in robotics and AI, similar to those being developed by the two technologists, render many human occupations unprofitable.”

Perhaps it goes without saying, but UBI is not a popular policy among conservatives.

There’s also the fact that the 2020 list of funders of OpenAI reads like a leftist wish-list of leftist activist organizations. The ACLU, SPLC, Equal Justice Initiative, and The Tides Foundation, among others, all make appearances on the 2020 tax filings.

For his part, Altman likes to donate to Democrats, giving $250K in 2020 to a Biden-supporting Super PAC. He’s also become quite the world traveler, as this very approving piece in a Chinese tech media outlet makes clear.

While none of this information proves AI is absolutely headed toward programming bias, it does start to reveal a pattern. A majority of AI researchers are financed by Big Tech, and Big Tech tends to give almost all of its political donations to Democrats. When you layer on top that AI is already being used in popular editing software like Grammerly – and appears to have a distinct point of view – and that some of tech’s biggest left-leaning funders like Dustin Moskovitz and Sam Bankman-Fried are huge fans of AI’s potential, it’s no wonder conservatives are worried and Republicans are already moving on legislation.

musiclady

My brother in law has Apple's® Siri®.
Last time we were home, he dropped an F-bomb on Siri, and she would not talk to him for a week.

The above video report is why I will not have any AI devices in the house.
My Dad got Alexa as a present. He gets frustrated by technology and bitches at it a lot. He told Alexa it was a useless piece of crap. Now, anytime he asks Alexa a question, it says it cannot work with him and to call tech support instead.

SamSpade

From time to time, when I am waiting in my car for the kids on something - I will open Alexa on my phone and call Amazon Music to play something through my car - but I have to be VERY SPECIFIC without pauses, or Alexa will just play something it THINKS you MEANT. I had to say - Get It On, Bang a Gong by T. Rex all at once - OR - I ended up with Marvin Gaye or a cover of Bang a Gong. And I found that songs with common word titles without listing the artist meant, I was never going to hear the song I wanted.

If you just ask for "Games People Play" - you may want to hear Joe South - or Alan Parsons - but you're probably going to get The Spinners - and every one of those songs are completely different songs. And then there's covers - if you ask for Crimson and Clover or I Think We're Alone Now or Mony Mony - make sure you ask for Tommy James and the Shondells, because you'll probably get Joan Jett, Tiffany or Billy Idol. That will be true of most covers that charted.

My kids have learned a little about being VERY SPECIFIC about voice commands to Alexa, Google or Siri - because these machines aren't as smart as a typical person, or at least - someone who KNOWS you.

And I detest voice commands on tech calls, because there's no way to describe some of my problems I need help with that a HUMAN BEING won't figure out quickly, but a voice menu machine won't redirect you to pointless lists.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
And I detest voice commands on tech calls, because there's no way to describe some of my problems I need help with that a HUMAN BEING won't figure out quickly, but a voice menu machine won't redirect you to pointless lists.
An old trick, don't know if it still works, is to dial "0" even if there is no option for it. Many times it will redirect you to a real person.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
An old trick, don't know if it still works, is to dial "0" even if there is no option for it. Many times it will redirect you to a real person.
Sears, when they still had their credit card operation, saying Human would bypass the robot.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Many Companies Are Banning ChatGPT. This Is Why.

It may seem obvious that uploading work-related information to an online artificial intelligence platform owned by another company is a potential security and privacy breach. Still, ChatGPT can be a real boon for some feeling the time crunch.

In particular, software engineers find ChatGPT useful for writing, testing, or debugging code, even though the technology is prone to errors.

Around 43 percent of employees use AI such as ChatGPT at work, mostly without telling their boss, according to a survey of about 12,000 professionals.

Samsung Electronics recently cracked down on the use of generative AI after an engineer manifested a tech company's worst nightmare by copy-pasting sensitive source code into ChatGPT.

Like many companies, Samsung is worried that anything uploaded to AI platforms like OpenAI's ChatGPT or Google's Bard will get stored on those companies' servers, with no way to access or delete the information.

OpenAI can use anything typed into AI systems like ChatGPT to improve the system. The fear is that proprietary or sensitive company information given to ChatGPT could be unintentionally shared with other users.

And OpenAI is still ironing out security issues: It temporarily shut down ChatGPT in March to fix a bug where users could see the titles from other users' chat histories.

Then, in April, OpenAI made it possible for users to turn off their chat history, which the company said would stop ChatGPT from using the data to train its AI model.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Can an AI lover REALLY help improve your flirting skills? MailOnline tests Blush - and its response to 'dirty talk' is HILARIOUS

From Bard to YouChat and Snapchat's My AI, online artificial intelligence (AI) chatbots have flooded the market since the success of ChatGPT.

Now, MailOnline has tried out the latest entry – a 'judgment-free' online dating simulator that feels a bit like Tinder.

Blush is a new app for iOS that lets people practice their flirting skills with a realistic-looking AI profile before they test them on a real person.

It's the creation of a San Francisco-based company called Luka, which is also responsible for the AI chatbot companion Replika.

'Blush is an AI-powered dating simulator that helps you learn and practice relationship skills in a safe and fun environment,' the firm says.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Men are using AI to land more dates with better profiles and personalized messages, study finds

Researchers at Attractiontruth, an AI dating coach, surveyed 1,371 men across the sexuality spectrum to see if they are using AI to enhance their dating profiles. The most popular dating app used by the group was Tinder, followed by Bumble and Hinge.

The survey found that 20% of its respondents roughly 274 men between the ages of 25 and 35 are using AI tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT to generate bios for their dating profiles and craft "tailored" and "captivating" messages that "resonated with their preferred matches."

Of the men who applied AI to their profiles, 37% reported feeling more confident with the opposite sex, and 24% said they noticed improvements in their messaging skills.

"By employing AI to initiate and manage conversations on dating apps, users can experience more positive outcomes and enhanced interaction quality," Salvatore Damiata, the cofounder of Attractiontruth, told Insider in an email.

Am, one of the survey respondents, asked the GPT-4 version of ChatGPT to "write a short dating app bio for Bumble that is funny but to the point," according to screenshots from Attractiontruth Insider reviewed.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Hope, fear, and AI

Who’s using AI?​

AI is suddenly everywhere. Image generators and large language models are at the core of new startups, powering features inside our favorite apps, and — perhaps more importantly — driving conversation not just in the tech world but also society at large. Concerns abound about cheating in schools with ChatGPT, being fooled by AI-generated pictures, and artists being ripped off or even outright replaced.

But despite widespread news coverage, use of these new tools is still fairly limited, at least when it comes to dedicated AI products. And experience with these tools skews decidedly toward younger users.

Most people have heard of ChatGPT. Bing and Bard? Not quite.​

q2.png

q2_hover.png

Heard of it vs. What is it?

ToolI've used itI've heard of itI've never heard of it
ChatGPT20%37%43%
Bing w/ ChatGPT12%34%54%
My AI (Snapchat)12%33%55%
Bard (by Google)10%28%62%
Midjourney7%18%75%
Stable Diffusion6%17%77%

Only 1 in 3 people have tried one of these AI-powered tools, and most aren’t familiar with the companies and startups that make them. Despite the many insurgents in the world of AI, like Stability AI and Midjourney, it’s still the work of Big Tech that substantially steers the conversation. OpenAI is the major exception — but arguably, thanks to its market cap and deals with Microsoft, it is itself now a member of the corpo-club.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

It’s Not a Computer, It’s a Companion!

Having an AI companion might seem niche, but it’s emerged as a predominant use case for generative AI. There are already hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people—including us—who have already built and nurtured relationships with chatbots. We believe we’re on the cusp of a significant societal shift: AI companions will soon become commonplace. What was once the domain of science fiction, the likes of WALL-E, R2-D2, or Plankton’s Karen, is fast becoming a reality. And at a16z, we are excited about it.

Many of the popular use cases today are romantic, which won’t be surprising to anyone who has studied the history of the consumer internet. The most sophisticated consumers of generative models today are hacking together virtual companions, coordinating their efforts across platforms like Reddit, Discord, and 4chan to find tools and evade censors. In fact, we know of underground companion-hosting services that are globally distributed, with tens of thousands of users. This is an early developer community that we take seriously—they may be fringe today, but they’re building tomorrow’s mainstream products.

We’re also starting to see early signs of a much broader set of applications beyond AI “boyfriends” and “girlfriends.” Snapchat recently revealed that 150 million people sent more than 10 billion messages to its chatbot in its first two months. What were they chatting about? It turns out pets, pop culture news, and soccer were some of the top conversation topics.

Yes, chatbots have been around for decades, but we believe that this time really is different. Today’s bots aren’t merely a step function improvement on 1:1 conversations—they’re making inroads into our social lives. AI companions are seamlessly blending into our relationships with friends and family members, and they’re joining our communities like any other human.

In this post, we’ll dive into the emerging behavior of AI companionship: why people are creating companions, how they’re doing it, and what features or use cases might be coming next.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron

Hope, fear, and AI

Who’s using AI?​

AI is suddenly everywhere. Image generators and large language models are at the core of new startups, powering features inside our favorite apps, and — perhaps more importantly — driving conversation not just in the tech world but also society at large. Concerns abound about cheating in schools with ChatGPT, being fooled by AI-generated pictures, and artists being ripped off or even outright replaced.

But despite widespread news coverage, use of these new tools is still fairly limited, at least when it comes to dedicated AI products. And experience with these tools skews decidedly toward younger users.

Most people have heard of ChatGPT. Bing and Bard? Not quite.​

q2.png

q2_hover.png

Heard of it vs. What is it?

ToolI've used itI've heard of itI've never heard of it
ChatGPT20%37%43%
Bing w/ ChatGPT12%34%54%
My AI (Snapchat)12%33%55%
Bard (by Google)10%28%62%
Midjourney7%18%75%
Stable Diffusion6%17%77%

Only 1 in 3 people have tried one of these AI-powered tools, and most aren’t familiar with the companies and startups that make them. Despite the many insurgents in the world of AI, like Stability AI and Midjourney, it’s still the work of Big Tech that substantially steers the conversation. OpenAI is the major exception — but arguably, thanks to its market cap and deals with Microsoft, it is itself now a member of the corpo-club.
The Quora question and answer site is using one called Sage. I downvote its "answers" when I see them.