Local Business Ale House (Lexington Park)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Its got a pretty good looking menu, hope the food lives up to it.

That is a good looking menu - the Bookmaker salad sounds like exactly what I want right now.

I hope they turn into St. Mary's answer to Ruddy Duck and don't die a painful death because everybody is standing in line for Applebee's.

awpitt

Main Streeter
That is a good looking menu - the Bookmaker salad sounds like exactly what I want right now.

I hope they turn into St. Mary's answer to Ruddy Duck and don't die a painful death because everybody is standing in line for Applebee's.

If they put as much effort into the interior plus service as they did the exterior, I think it'll turn out to be a nice venue. Like you said... similar to Rudy Duck or maybe even the Ole Town Pub. I just got back from N.C. and noticed it was open.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Had lunch there today with 6 of my co-workers. As of today, the have been open only 5 days and have been slammed with customers, much more than expected. Due to this, they were out of a few of them menu items (food trucks deliver on Wednesday's & Friday's). No biggie. They were expecting a group of 20, but not the groups of 6, 7 & 8 (which included us), so they had to scramble to seat us all. We ended up with free p's since they asked to move us to a smaller table, they were delicious! They suggest parties of 6 or make call ahead to make a reservation. Can do!

The fries in gravy app was delicious and the onion rings were really good. Three of us ordered the Ale House onion soup and it was really good and not overly salty. I ordered the Meatball Primavera app thinking it would be a small dish. ERMERGERDZ - NOT!!! Five HUGE meatballs, sauce, cheese and plenty of crusty bread for mopping up to sauce. Needless to say, I only ate one and the rest will fill us up for dinner later.

Two ordered the Voodoo Chicken sandwiches. Again, HUGE! They both said they were great and lots of fries to go along. The Club sandwich covered an entire plate and was more like 4 sandwiches. One of the guys ordered the Berlin Plate and he said that the pork chop, sausage, candied bacon, sourkraut, and mashed potatoes were as good as he has had in Germany. We will have to bring our German guest there and see what she has to say about that! There were also a few Greek options, so I will be going back with my Greek man and get his opinion on those dishes! :lol:

They have quite a selection of beers from all over the place, but only one NA beer, O'Doul's. Service was a bit slow, but due to the amount of people there, it was not unexpected. They were really busting their butts to keep up, so kudos to them.

We will definitely be going back again! I really hope that they are going to make it last for a long time to come!

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
We went for dinner the other night. They were indeed out of a lot of things. beer and food. But I will give them a pass becuase they have only been open a few days...hopefully they figure out what they need soon.

Inside was very nice, if a little sparse. I am hoping they jazz it up a bit.

The service was good, even for a new place. They were friendly and helpful and had dedicated busers so our table was always cleared

Beers are reasonably priced and the selection looks good, though they were out of two I wanted

We ordered the gravy fries app and it was so good, my only gripe being that it was a bit small for a 10 dollar app. Fries and gravy are cheap and we had a table of 4 we killed it in about 2 minutes. delicious though. The gravy even made a few in our group look for menu items that included it.

Shepherds pie was delicious and that Berlin platter that Rose mentioned is amazing. Worth it for that bacon!

They do not have a dedicated kids menu but said they would make a cheeseburger or grilled cheese. They DID have kids placemats with crayons etc so they are kid friendly

Only thing I was not impressed with is what I ordered. I got the shrimp po boy that the waitress recommended, but was dismayed to see they took hot fried shrimp out of the fryer and laid it on lettuce..a huge pet peeve of mine. Lettuce was wilted and soggy, and even worse was the shrimp were not deveined..nothing worse that eating an other wise tasty fried shrimp and seeing it wasn't cleaned. I took a few bites and left it to try everyone else's food.

Overall I liked it and we will go back, hopefully when they have the full menu of food and beer to choose from.

Last edited:

Restitution

All who went.....

Please be sure to repost after visiting in about 13-14 months OR after the people brought in to open the place get relieved by local talent. So far, these reviews are typical of "newly opened" eateries.

EVERYTHING is GREAT........ Until.......

BernieP

Resident PIA
All who went.....

Please be sure to repost after visiting in about 13-14 months OR after the people brought in to open the place get relieved by local talent. So far, these reviews are typical of "newly opened" eateries.

What makes you think they were brought in?
Is this a chain?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What makes you think they were brought in?
Is this a chain?

They might not be a chain, but still part of a larger restaurant conglomerate, which would also have them opening with a professional team to kick things off, then turn it over to the locals.

Restitution has a point, guys. In our travels we have of course eaten at a crap ton of places, and also visited their local cool stuff. Southern Maryland could be so much more than what it is. It's frustrating to see it not live up to its potential.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
All who went.....

The two women that seemed to be in charge looked familiar to me so I asked why. The older one used to run the old Damon's and the other one used to work at the Tiki. :lol:

awpitt

Main Streeter
RoseRed & libertytyranny.... Thanks for the first hand reviews. The other comments, so far, are just speculation. The GF and I will probably try it on Friday. I'm guessing we'll have to go early for easier seating.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
All who went.....

Why so negative?

awpitt

Main Streeter
The two women that seemed to be in charge looked familiar to me so I asked why. The older one used to run the old Damon's and the other one used to work at the Tiki. :lol:

Melissa Akaras and Jane Carroll are the holders of their liquor license.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
RoseRed & libertytyranny.... Thanks for the first hand reviews. The other comments, so far, are just speculation. The GF and I will probably try it on Friday. I'm guessing we'll have to go early for easier seating.
You're welcome. I hope you both enjoy. :smile:
Melissa Akaras and Jane Carroll are the holders of their liquor license.
:yay: I didn't ask names.

glhs837

Power with Control
In here right now.. was told it would be 45 min for a seat, was really only 15. Beer selection looks good. Having an Allagash White. Pretzel sticks tasty. Staff attentive, not pushy. Waiting for my salmon now...

BernieP

Resident PIA
In here right now.. was told it would be 45 min for a seat, was really only 15. Beer selection looks good. Having an Allagash White. Pretzel sticks tasty. Staff attentive, not pushy. Waiting for my salmon now...

Was in there this afternoon, the place was slammed. It was impossible to get a draft at the bar and it wasn't that we were invisible.
The system was stressed and there was a lack of communication.
Not a good selection of beer, a Great selection on tap. Sorry, didn't see any "lite" beers on the tap.
Food was coming out of the kitchen, looked good, people seem to like it.

bulldog

I had lunch there today and was pretty impressed. The Voodoo chicken sandwich was very good and I'm happy with the beer selection that includes my favorite 2; Guinness and Calvert Brewing Co. Maple Milk Stout. Yum.
Will be back for sure.

BernieP

Resident PIA
bulldog;5724494Calvert Brewing Co. Maple Milk Stout. Yum. Will be back for sure.[/QUOTE said:
Ah, so that was the third Calvert Brewing Co. beer on the taps - Route 4 IPA, Wye Rye and the Maple Milk Stout.
Some really good IPAs up there, Laugunitas, The Truth (Flying Dog), to name a few.