Angelina Jolie has double mastectomy

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
See, I agree with you! I don't care a whit about Brad and Angelina. And, I think everyone else here would agree that for anyone that had a family history like hers it would be a smart, and hard, thing to do. What everyone here is commenting about, is the fact that she is putting it out there for publicity, rather than as a public service/awareness message. At least, that's my take on it.

Belvak, again, IMHO, i am not sure she is doing it for publicity. I will readily admit though i can be wrong. I can understand her personal feelings for not throwing it out there before she had it done.

I'm with you about the aspect of having a mastectomy to avoid the chance of breast cancer. I totally am.

I just couldn't help it, but my next thoughts after thinking what a hard place it must be to have to make that decision - was I'll bet she's gonna be taking pictures of her mastectomy and having them published.

Skeptical, I know, but I'll be surprised if she doesn't.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Breast cancer is not necessarily a death sentence. I've known several women who've had it and are still alive to tell the tale. Rather than cut her boobs off prematurely on speculation, why not just get annual or even monthly screenings to catch it early? It seems extreme to me to disfigure yourself for some that *might* happen and that can be treated successfully if caught early.

That said, they're her boobs and if she wants to lop them off more power to her. I will not be following her lead and I think it's irresponsible of her to promote it.

mamatutu

mama to two
Breast cancer is not necessarily a death sentence. I've known several women who've had it and are still alive to tell the tale. Rather than cut her boobs off prematurely on speculation, why not just get annual or even monthly screenings to catch it early? It seems extreme to me to disfigure yourself for some that *might* happen and that can be treated successfully if caught early.

That said, they're her boobs and if she wants to lop them off more power to her. I will not be following her lead and I think it's irresponsible of her to promote it.

You make me think of another question. Is this considered cosmetic surgery because there is no immediate medical emergency to have the mastectomy. If that is the case, then everyday Janes could not even afford this. Is this considered preventive medicine. How would this fit in with Obamacare? I have a feeling it won't, but that's just me. Obamacare wants people to die that may become a burden to the system. Everyday when I wake up, I find our world just compounds on itself on what can happen next. Interesting place.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Is this considered cosmetic surgery because there is no immediate medical emergency to have the mastectomy. If that is the case, then everyday Janes could not even afford this.

My guess is that part of the publicity is to get preventive mastectomies covered under insurance, which would essentially make reconstruction (in the form of bigger and better) covered. Basically free boob jobs.

It's not fun going through breast cancer treatment (or any cancer treatment), but I'm not sold on preventive mastectomies. .1% of women in the US will get breast cancer this year. <--Statistics class paying off :biggrin: That is not an epidemic and the odds are dramatically on your side that you will not get it.

Last edited:

Wenchy

Hot Flash

Both of my grandmothers had it. Breast cancer. If I had the health insurance I would get tested and probably have my boobs removed.

Crap. Ovarian cancer also runs in my family.

I don't need these parts anymore.

I think what she did was great and will hopefully bring more awareness to this issue that women face.

mamatutu

mama to two
My guess is that part of the publicity is to get preventive mastectomies covered under insurance, which would essentially make reconstruction (in the form of bigger and better) covered. Basically free boob jobs.

It's not fun going through breast cancer treatment (or any cancer treatment), but I'm not sold on preventive mastectomies. 1% of women in the US will get breast cancer this year. <--Statistics class paying off :biggrin: That is not an epidemic and the odds are dramatically on your side that you will not get it.

Good for you on statistics class, cuz it kicked my butt, but I excelled in Bio and Chem. I do feel from this discussion that this whole Angie thing is giving false hope, and expensive hope. I also think, however, that no woman would give up her breasts, unless she is truly convicted, for whatever the reason. Think about the complications that can happen on the operating table. Who risks that; especially, someone with an ego like Angies.

Last edited:

Wenchy

Hot Flash
Good for you on statistics class, cuz it kicked my butt, but I excelled in Bio and Chem. I do feel from this discussion that this whole Angie thing is giving false hope, and expensive hope. I also think, however, that no woman would give up her breasts, unless she is truly convicted, for whatever the reason. Think about the complications that can happen on the operating table. Who risks that; especially, someone with an ego like Angies.

My ex husbands second wife had this surgery done two years ago. She had insurance at the time. Completely covered.

I guess we will find out (if we are alive) decades from now if this surgery actually works.

mamatutu

mama to two
My ex husbands second wife had this surgery done two years ago. She had insurance at the time. Completely covered.

I guess we will find out (if we are alive) decades from now if this surgery actually works.

Wow. I would have never thought that insurance would include preventive cancer surgery. It is not something I have really thought about until this story. So, that is a good thing.

Side: I do want to say that in my time on this forum, I find that you are not only entertaining, but inspiring. Your humor could dry a paper towel that hasn't been used. I absolutely love you!

officeguy

With that particular gene and a history of early breast-cancer in her mom, it was not a question whether it will happen but rather when it will happen. Living from test to test every 6 months is no fun either. The surgery is a lot simpler if done without the presence of cancer as there is no issue of scheduling the reconstruction around chemo and radiation treatment. I have dealt with this in the family and Jolies decision is enterly rational given the odds.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't there an Olympic athelete that said she was going to get the surgery after the Olympics were over because there was such a high risk of developing cancer due to family history? I thought there was even a thread on here about it.

hotcoffee

Both of my grandmothers had it. Breast cancer. If I had the health insurance I would get tested and probably have my boobs removed.

Crap. Ovarian cancer also runs in my family.

I don't need these parts anymore.

I think what she did was great and will hopefully bring more awareness to this issue that women face.

So there seems to be a chance that a lot of women will be eligible for the nick name of bits & pieces.

I don't know how I feel about the decision to cut out organs because they might get cancer. I just took the test for HNPCC.... so maybe since my mother had colon, breast, and uterine cancer I should have my breasts and uterus removed? Having the cancer removed from my colon has been an ordeal in itself. I can't imagine going through two more surgeries just because I might have cancer there later.

:coffee:

officeguy

Having the cancer removed from my colon has been an ordeal in itself. I can't imagine going through two more surgeries just because I might have cancer there later.

In some diseases, preventive removal of the colon to avoid the near certain development of colon cancer is the standard treatment. Similar to the breasts, doing the surgery without the cancer already there gives more options and a better outcome.

hotcoffee

In some diseases, preventive removal of the colon to avoid the near certain development of colon cancer is the standard treatment. Similar to the breasts, doing the surgery without the cancer already there gives more options and a better outcome.

I see your point... I just can't see me doing it...

:coffee:

DEEKAYPEE8569

From A Purely Superficial POV

IMO Angelina would be smokin' hot in a potato sack; breasts or no breasts.
True, while they are the sweet part of eye candy for many, they do not define who or what a person is.

Wether this is a publicitiy stunt to "explain" why her chest has increased to parade balloon proportions, or not; if Angie actually does get a double-mastectomy and then resurfaces noticably bigger.....:shrug:

Typical male comment: She got bigger boobs? SO?
Followed by wagging tongues and :drool:

Y'all can take this as it is written or think I'm fulla crap, but I for one could be just as happy seeing her face every day. :crushingonAngie:
Mr. Pitt better know what he has, if he doesn't already.

Foxhound

Finishing last
IMO Angelina would be smokin' hot in a potato sack; breasts or no breasts.
True, while they are the sweet part of eye candy for many, they do not define who or what a person is.

Yeah that.

Wether this is a publicitiy stunt to "explain" why her chest has increased to parade balloon proportions, or not; if Angie actually does get a double-mastectomy and then resurfaces noticably bigger.....:shrug:

Typical male comment: She got bigger boobs? SO?
Followed by wagging tongues and :drool:

Y'all can take this as it is written or think I'm fulla crap, but I for one could be just as happy seeing her face every day. :crushingonAngie:
Mr. Pitt better know what he has, if he doesn't already.

I'm more of a Bann fan myself. TETO.