Another one...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
appendixqh said:
I think it is an unfortunate truth that felines are just part of the food chain, just like wild rabbits.
This brings up and interesting point. How *are* cats any different than rabbits? I mean, do the people who are upset about your barn cats also object to rabbits running around unfettered? Would they try to catch them and take them to a rescue?

That's a serious question, not trying to take a shot at anyone or provoke a fight.

PrepH4U

appendixqh said:
You would be wrong with that assumption. I care about them, but I accept that this can happen to them. Whats worse...allowing an animal to be outside in a natural environment knowing something could possibly attack it over the years if it isn't careful, or confining it to a cage, box, or house all day to "protect" it?
I would like to know who confines their cats in a box and how is a cat protected in a house considered abusive? :shrug: If thats the case I have abused many animals in my lifetime instead of giving them freedom to try and survive on their own.
I think what upsets most here, is not that you have barn cats. It's the fact that most are unspayed to keep giving you a new supply of fox fodder. I too have barn cats (2) but if a fox was regularly trying to eat them, you can bet that fox or other predator would be taken out. Besides not taking the possibly rabid foxes who may harbor the virus is putting all your animals and people at a risk. Maybe you should organize a hunting party!

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
vraiblonde said:
This brings up and interesting point. How *are* cats any different than rabbits? I mean, do the people who are upset about your barn cats also object to rabbits running around unfettered? Would they try to catch them and take them to a rescue?

That's a serious question, not trying to take a shot at anyone or provoke a fight.

Thank you. I am not trying to impose my will upon anyone, but I don't think I am completely out to lunch in my view on this. I appreciate your openmindedness.

Geek

appendixqh said:
Thank you. I am not trying to impose my will upon anyone, but I don't think I am completely out to lunch in my view on this. I appreciate your openmindedness.

OMG. You suck so hard. Truely. What a disgusting way to treat cats. What do you do with the limping cats? Let me guess all cats are not vaccinated for rabies and FIV and all the rest. Why is it you think you like animals?

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
PrepH4U said:
I would like to know who confines their cats in a box and how is a cat protected in a house considered abusive? :shrug: If thats the case I have abused many animals in my lifetime instead of giving them freedom to try and survive on their own.
I think what upsets most here, is not that you have barn cats. It's the fact that most are unspayed to keep giving you a new supply of fox fodder. I too have barn cats (2) but if a fox was regularly trying to eat them, you can bet that fox or other predator would be taken out. Besides not taking the possibly rabid foxes who may harbor the virus is putting all your animals and people at a risk. Maybe you should organize a hunting party!

I have seen people confine kittens in a box several times, and I am not calling keeping cats in a house abusive. That is a choice to keep the animals as a house pet, and you protect them as such. My point is that it is not abusive to keep cats outside, but you have to let them be in a natural state (no declawing) to allow them to have a chance from predators. It would be illegal for me to arbitrarily snipe foxes, and quite frankly, I don't think it is up to me to mess with the environment and snuff foxes because I have moved into their habitat and have my home. If they threated me personally, different story, but they don't.

Geek

And another thing...You have these cats as mousers? Why don't you give the cats a break and buy some mouse traps? Or do you prefer the cats to mate and keep providing you this service for free. Even if it means a life of pain and torture. You live too close to a road to own outside cats. Stop taking in cats, they are not safe with you.

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
appendixqh said:
I have seen people confine kittens in a box several times, and I am not calling keeping cats in a house abusive. That is a choice to keep the animals as a house pet, and you protect them as such. My point is that it is not abusive to keep cats outside, but you have to let them be in a natural state (no declawing) to allow them to have a chance from predators. It would be illegal for me to arbitrarily snipe foxes, and quite frankly, I don't think it is up to me to mess with the environment and snuff foxes because I have moved into their habitat and have my home. If they threated me personally, different story, but they don't.

One word. Rabies. :shrug:

They attack your cat. Your cat comes back to your house. You/your children treat exposed cat, thereby possibly exposing you and your family (and other pets) to rabies.

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
Geek said:
OMG. You suck so hard. Truely. What a disgusting way to treat cats. What do you do with the limping cats? Let me guess all cats are not vaccinated for rabies and FIV and all the rest. Why is it you think you like animals?

Actually, all my animals are vacinated for rabies. If a cat is only slightly injured, it gets Pennicilin. If it is life threatening, it is euthanized to end any suffering.

Geek

appendixqh said:
Actually, all my animals are vacinated for rabies. If a cat is only slightly injured, it gets Pennicilin. If it is life threatening, it is euthanized to end any suffering.

GET MOUSE TRAPS

sockgirl77

appendixqh said:
I have lived on a few farms. I have dealt with barn cats. I have never seen an owner take the time or spend the money to get their 20+ barn cats shots done.

Redskinsmama

sockgirl77 said:
I have lived on a few farms. I have dealt with barn cats. I have never seen an owner take the time or spend the money to get their 20+ barn cats shots done.

i have. my neighbor takes all 14 cats he has to the fairgrounds once a year to get their rabies shots. it's not that outlandish

sockgirl77

Redskinsmama said:
i have. my neighbor takes all 14 cats he has to the fairgrounds once a year to get their rabies shots. it's not that outlandish
That's great! Maybe it was just the jackass farm owners that I rented from.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
Geek said:
You live too close to a road to own outside cats.

:roflmao:

She doesn't live close to a busy road.....If one of the neighbors would stop her stupid trailor trash crap, then there would hardly be any traffic.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Geek said:
Answer my question. How are the cats any different than rabbits, squirrels or even the foxes?

Redskinsmama

sockgirl77 said:
That's great! Maybe it was just the jackass farm owners that I rented from.

he's an excellent pet owner....all barn cats are named and he collects them at 8 every night for their feeding, then keeps them in the barn til morning. he will stay out there for hours until every last cat comes back...they're like his little army!

sockgirl77

Redskinsmama said:
he's an excellent pet owner....all barn cats are named and he collects them at 8 every night for their feeding, then keeps them in the barn til morning. he will stay out there for hours until every last cat comes back...they're like his little army!
Well, the last jackass that I rented from had no compassion for animals. He had his horse taken away from him a few years ago. I have no clue why he was the way he was. He did not take care of any of his animals. He had over 20 ratty barn cats, 2 dogs, and at one point the beautiful white horse that you could see off of Rt.5 in Park Hall. All of which were malnourished (sp?). But judging by his and his wife's weight, they had no problem with nourishment.