Anyone else have horrible Allergies & Sinus

tipsymcgee

So I've never had anything like this before. I just can't get over it. For a month now I'd had sinusitis and related symptoms that won't go away. My head is in a constant fog and I'm even getting dizziness and motion sickness type symptoms along with it. I've been to an ENT who did a culture and said there were no active infections, and he thought it was on its way out. That was two weeks ago. He said if not better in two weeks they'll do another CT scan. Anyone else have similar things going on with this winter weather or whatever may be causing it? TIA.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Being a Maryland resident for most of my life, I'm used to the sinusitis. But this year I'm hearing that a lot more people than usual are suffering with it, most likely (I think) because it's probably a really bad year for leaf mold. What I do when it's this bad is get a large bottle of saline mist and rinse my sinuses out. It usually does help loosen stuff and make it drain.

tipsymcgee

Thanks for your input. Yes, I do a neti-pot twice a day and do saline mist a couple times also. The thing is I have no drainage at all now, just totally dried up....but I did drain for a week prior to going to the ER and then being hit with sinusitis diagnosis. I have no drainage, just a foggy head and these awful bouts of dizziness. Just had another one and it's awful.

afjess1989

Amount of F##Ks given, 0
I have had so many sinus problems I could write a book. I've had two sinus surgerys within two years. The only thing that will help me are shots. But anyways I had a Turbinectomy the first time back in 2009 than I had another Turbinectomy and a Septoplasty back In 2012. I also only have 4 out of the 6 sinuses that your suppose to have.

mamatutu

mama to two
Thanks for your input. Yes, I do a neti-pot twice a day and do saline mist a couple times also. The thing is I have no drainage at all now, just totally dried up....but I did drain for a week prior to going to the ER and then being hit with sinusitis diagnosis. I have no drainage, just a foggy head and these awful bouts of dizziness. Just had another one and it's awful.

I have read that the neti-pot can cause more problems because it harbors germs. My daughter has been allergic to everything since birth, to where she was hospitalized when she was younger. We chose to expose her to everything, and never did shots, etc, but she still takes the allergy pills, occasionally. She is much better. I have, also, heard that adults can contract allergies, asthma, etc. when they never had them as a child. Also, if you totally dry yourself out through medication, that defeats the good guys in your system that are trying to fight your problem, and just makes it worse. I hope you figure it out, and feel better. :smile:

mitzi

I have sinus/allergy problems all year. For the past 2 weeks I've had bad sinus headaches. I got concerned a few days ago when I started getting shooting pains. Then it dawned on me that it's the dry heat, no moisture in the air. Try using a humidifier, it will probably help. It's helping mine.

mitzi

I have read that the neti-pot can cause more problems because it harbors germs. My daughter has been allergic to everything since birth, to where she was hospitalized when she was younger. We chose to expose her to everything, and never did shots, etc, but she still takes the allergy pills, occasionally. She is much better. I have, also, heard that adults can contract allergies, asthma, etc. when they never had them as a child. Also, if you totally dry yourself out through medication, that defeats the good guys in your system that are trying to fight your problem, and just makes it worse. I hope you figure it out, and feel better. :smile:

The neti pot will harbor germs. It needs to have to boiling water poured into it to sterilize.

Caution

My sinuses bother me twice a day generally. In the morning they are really bad in that as they were horizontal all night, when getting up in going vertical things tend to start draining. I tend to blow my nose a lot in the morning and if I don't eat can even tend to get nauscious.

In the evening, my sinuses tend to get drier the later into the evening it gets. If I stay up really late my sinuses get bone dry.

But I find shooting them with a saline mist seems to work well for me. I usually do it just prior to a good, hot shower and the heat and moisture from the shower helps.

Another thing I did was I have a decent humidifier I keep going. That added moisture in the air really makes a difference.

Good Luck.

tipsymcgee

Thanks for all your help. The ENT did tell me to use a different saline flush bottle, the black one that just squirts. Just seems to weird to have so few symptoms and yet these dizzy spells come on like a switch. From reading there may be some anxiety linked to it, which doesn't help. That's just not like me to be anxious, though. Hopefully it wanes away or I'll find out some info in the new year. Thanks again. And I do always boil the neti pot water and then let it get warm enough to use.

My mother went to a new doctor who was finally able to show her what was wrong with her. She has had sinus infections almost non-stop for 15 or so years. Turns out the very first one she had never totally went away and her sinus' were so inflamed that 4 of them were completely blocked and the other 2 were close to it. Doctor did a balloon sinuplasty on her. She said it was amazing how much crud came out of her head afterwards. She will have to get it done another time or 2 most likely, but that once the contents all drain, he expects to be able to finally cure her sinus infection.

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
This year has absolutely been horrible for me. I have never had sinus or allergy problems but I can't shake them this year. They drain into my throat and I cough so bad I throw up. I have tried everything and can't pinpoint what brings them on, not a time of day, place or food. Quality of life sucks because I can't go anywhere where I might throw up. Have been to 4 ENT drs. NO help at all. Just been a miserable year. :cds:

tipsymcgee

Very weird indeed. I've had a few issues in the past but nothing to this extent. Just can't turn the corner and I'm going crazy thinking what else could it be.

havingfun

Mine have been much worse this year too. My mother and sister swear the sinuses get worse when the weather fronts are moving. They have been moving constantly so far so I don't know.

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
My girlfriend has been dealing with something similar.

We got all new pillows. Problem solved. :shrug:

Really? You know I was thinking about that, but for me it's not just at night. I just wish I could figure it out. I do drink a lot of tea (always have) and I have noticed that cutting back on the caffeine may be helping. They actually make a caffeine free tea to sooth sinuses now. Expensive tho.

Roman

So I've never had anything like this before. I just can't get over it. For a month now I'd had sinusitis and related symptoms that won't go away. My head is in a constant fog and I'm even getting dizziness and motion sickness type symptoms along with it. I've been to an ENT who did a culture and said there were no active infections, and he thought it was on its way out. That was two weeks ago. He said if not better in two weeks they'll do another CT scan. Anyone else have similar things going on with this winter weather or whatever may be causing it? TIA.
It's time for you to make an appointment with your Doctor. You might have an infection that needs attention. Your Ear might be inflamed, causing you to be dizzy here & there. Get well.

tipsymcgee

It's time for you to make an appointment with your Doctor. You might have an infection that needs attention. Your Ear might be inflamed, causing you to be dizzy here & there. Get well.

The ENT did an ear check and said all was okay, but I do have a follow up scheduled with both GP and ENT after the holidays if it doesn't go away.

tipsymcgee

Really? You know I was thinking about that, but for me it's not just at night. I just wish I could figure it out. I do drink a lot of tea (always have) and I have noticed that cutting back on the caffeine may be helping. They actually make a caffeine free tea to sooth sinuses now. Expensive tho.

Yes, I've cut out caffeine and asparthame for the last week but to no avail yet. Have to look into pillows....

MAV

Very weird indeed. I've had a few issues in the past but nothing to this extent. Just can't turn the corner and I'm going crazy thinking what else could it be.

The winters around here have been so slight that more and more mold and bacteria and pollen have been multiplying causing sinus issues in people who usually don't have issues and reaping havoc on us that have always had issues. I have had sinus issues my whole life and after multiple sinus infections and sinus surgery to open up blocked cavities I was sent to an allergist....kiddingly I asking if he had a box of test serums for St. Mary's....he was dead serious and said he did. He said that the way the stuff in the county blooms (spring or fall) creates an extreme condition in the environment like nothing he has ever seen or read about before that will most defiantly cause sinus/allergic issues to anyone who spends time in the county. I also kiddingly asking if he could test to see if I was allergic to my BF....he got mad at that one and said I would be surprise how many people are allergic or have a reaction to their significant other. The sloughed off skin cells we deposit all around all day and the natural odor we all have (that is different to everyone) can cause sinus/allergic reactions to people.

With all that being said, what I believe is happening with you is the sinus mucus is up in your cavities and may be partially blocked from past sinus issues that the netti pot isn't able to flush out which is causing pressure in your sinuses and ears causing the dizziness and your other symptoms. I also think the netti pot maybe causing the drying out of your outer sinus which can cause inflammation and again the pressure.

Try not using the netti pot but once or twice a week, take Musinex D/DM to get your sinuses to start draining and use a saline spray often during the day. The times you don't us the netti pot try putting HOT (as hot as you can stand) compresses across your face (ear to ear) to cover your cheeks and nose and across your forehead just above your eyebrows. If you can, take Advil or something similar to help bring down the inflammation in your sinuses and ears. If this doesn't work after two weeks (and believe me I am 48 years old and have been dealing with these type of sinus issues in this county my whole life and have done everything I have suggested because of the same symptoms you mentioned) then I suggest you request the CT Scan your ENT recommended....you might have blockages in your sinus cavities or growths in your sinus cavities and/or ears.

MAV

The ENT did an ear check and said all was okay, but I do have a follow up scheduled with both GP and ENT after the holidays if it doesn't go away.

ENT did ear check of ear canal....but you could be getting pressure from the back side of the ear from the sinuses or whatever.