Anything New Going On Across From Wildwood?

CrashTest

I'm not worried. I'm sure the brainiacs have it all under control. As soon as they're finished building FDR Blvd, they'll focus on the WW cluster f...

SamSpade

MAybe he means that there could be another entrance/exit into or out of Lexington Exchange. This would be next to Lenny's

Yep. Look at the overhead to the property - they could build another exit to the property there, and create an intersection with a light.

I'm not crazy about the idea, but I've often wondered if the low amount of traffic into that shopping center has anything to do with the fact that the primary entrances are at the sides and not directly from 235 (unless you're traveling south).

CrashTest

Yep. Look at the overhead to the property - they could build another exit to the property there, and create an intersection with a light.

I'm not crazy about the idea, but I've often wondered if the low amount of traffic into that shopping center has anything to do with the fact that the primary entrances are at the sides and not directly from 235 (unless you're traveling south).

The primary reasons for the side entrances is that the traffic layout for all of WW is still based on 1975 traffic volumes.

What are you talking about? What does WW Parkway have to do with the light and entrance to WW shopping center? And where do you suggest they put up a NEW light?
I'm terrified for what will happen at that intersection right inside WW at the cross with WW Parkway and the entrance to the shopping center. There is an awful accident there no less than twice a week bc of idiots trying to beat the traffic entering WW Blvd from Northbound 235. Or crossing from WW Parkway onto WW Blvd. That blind corner covered in bushes is the worst. Once that new plaza opens up, I hate to think what'll happen to the traffic in the WW plaza. They will HAVE to put up another light and sync it with the first light.

I wish they would deal with the WW fuster cluck! The entire WW traffic situation is out of control and only gets worse every day because of the massive amount of duplexes being built. WW Parkway is as bad as 235. Speed limit is 30, most cars do 40-45. I live near one of the side street intersections and see this crap every single day. Have witnessed cars coming down the parkway early in the mornings or late in the evening doing 60 MPH, and that's no exaggeration. No sidewalks, yet everyone wants to jog, bike, push the baby stroller along that road. I live in WW and I refuse to walk along that road. County won't do anything and developer does even less.
I'm not worried. I'm sure the brainiacs have it all under control. As soon as they're finished building FDR Blvd, they'll focus on the WW cluster f...

CrashTest

I wish they would deal with the WW fuster cluck! The entire WW traffic situation is out of control and only gets worse every day because of the massive amount of duplexes being built. WW Parkway is as bad as 235. Speed limit is 30, most cars do 40-45. I live near one of the side street intersections and see this crap every single day. Have witnessed cars coming down the parkway early in the mornings or late in the evening doing 60 MPH, and that's no exaggeration. No sidewalks, yet everyone wants to jog, bike, push the baby stroller along that road. I live in WW and I refuse to walk along that road. County won't do anything and developer does even less.

You're preaching to the choir. I've been saying this for years. On a couple of occasions, I've had to walk down the shoulder of WW Parkway and it's pretty scary. I can't believe people do it willingly, and with babies and kids. The school buses are the worst. They flat out haul ass with nothing between you and them except a painted white line.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
What are you talking about? What does WW Parkway have to do with the light and entrance to WW shopping center? And where do you suggest they put up a NEW light?

why are you so angry? I live right there. I most certainly DO know what I'm talking about. :shrug:

When you turn into WW from 235 N, that's called WW Blvd. once you enter WW you have the option of turning Right into the shopping plaza, keep going straight further into WW, or left onto White oak parkway where the condos/townhouses/apartments are housed off of. People crossing back and forth over WW Blvd have to deal with the blind corner and traffic coming into WW. There is an accident right there, usually from people trying to exit the shopping plaza or exit from White Oak Parkway onto WW Blvd, EVERY other day. I was just commenting on how I dread to see what the increased traffic from the NEW shopping plaza will do to the already horrendous traffic going in and out of WW, particularly that intersection.

Will there be a new light there too? IDK I'm an artist, not an engineer :razz:

ltown81

No one made any mention of race. There are plenty of white folk down there I want nothing to do with. The reality is, the GMR corridor is as urban as SMC gets, and is generally considered one of the highest crime areas in the county. Sure people out on the sidewalks can be a sign of a vibrant community..like old town Alexandria. Or it can be a sign of trouble waiting to happen..like many inner city street corners. GMR is somewhere in the middle. While I would not hesitate to patronize an establishment in the area that had something I wanted, it would come with a heightened concern for my personal safety relative to say shopping at Wildewood.

What makes it "unsavory"? I drive that road twice or more daily, and I see a lot of foot traffic, but what makes it "all unsavory"? Dare I suggest latent racism?

Sure, there are areas populated by people different than me, but that's okay. The vast majority of them are just out trying to get from place A to place B unbothered by anyone else, and don't happen to have a car or choose to walk for the exercise.

I think the more foot traffic, the better; it shows that the place is occupied and thriving.

glhs837

Power with Control
Agreed, I raise my personal awareness a few notches going into or out of Ollies, or Pizza Hut. Bias? Nope, just an awareness that crime is more prevalent in lower income areas, and that area is the largest area of low income around. I still go there, two to three times a week or more, Autozone, other places. And I'm not afraid to walk the sidewalk from one end to the other, but I am aware that carries a higher risk that the equivalent distance anywhere in the county.

bilbur

WW is a bunch of stuck up snobs.

I beg to differ, I live in Wildewood in the condos and I have nothing to be stuck up or a snob about. I guess I could brag about the drug dealer that got evicted last year or the kids that vandalized my car two years ago or the two sex offenders living on the other side of the complex but I don't want to make anyone jealous. :ohwell:

glhs837

Power with Control
I beg to differ, I live in Wildewood in the condos and I have nothing to be stuck up or a snob about. I guess I could brag about the drug dealer that got evicted last year or the kids that vandalized my car two years ago or the two sex offenders living on the other side of the complex but I don't want to make anyone jealous. :ohwell:

And lets not forget possibly the crime of the decade back in the 90s, only place in the county to be the scene of a crossbow killing. Don't them sorts of shenanigans on GMR, nosirreebob.

H

Hodr

Just going to mention that anyone who checks crimereports.com or regularly looks at the MSP reports would know that GMR isn't the worst area to walk around.

Most burgleries and car theft (items inside, or actual vehicles, GMR? Nope, it's actually WW.
Most drugs? GMR? Nope, that's Ridge or Great Mills.
Most vandalism? I would say the obvious answer is CRC, but they're not in SM; so likely also WW.
Most domestic disputes? The rural areas south of the base on 235.

GMR may have the most actual robberies, but I think that is due to the density/type of stores (small / cash heavy) and easy access to the road. No one is going to rob the Walmart with it's 50 million cameras and hundreds of witnesses. Likewise they won't likely rob anything in the Best Buy shopping center because they will be stuck at the lights for 20 minutes and get caught by the police 100 yards away from the store.

glhs837

Power with Control
Sorry, Hodr, but the crime people worry about is personal crime. Drugs? Not so much. Although, I do have to point out, a lot of Great Mills is on Great Mills Road :) Theft from cars? Of course ,the cars parked off GMR dont have stuff worth stealing from them :) Nobody worries about being vanalized, they worry about getting beaten and or robbed in person.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Insofar as Home Depot is concerned...no time soon.

Since I work for their largest competitor, try to keep on top of things with the way they do business, as they do many things better than Lowe's.

Frank Blake, outgoing CEO said last year that store building is slowing way down in favor of building internet fulfillment warehouses.

glhs837

Power with Control
Insofar as Home Depot is concerned...no time soon.

Since I work for their largest competitor, try to keep on top of things with the way they do business, as they do many things better than Lowe's.

Frank Blake, outgoing CEO said last year that store building is slowing way down in favor of building internet fulfillment warehouses.

No kidding.........I get so disgusted when I visit the Waldorf HD, and I see what sort of selection is available right off the shelf thats special order from Lowes down here