Are you a good tipper?

Cletus_Vandam

FromTexas said:
I'm not reading the rest of the responses to see if it was discussed, but no, 15% has not inflated to 20%. The cost of meals rises with inflation, and thus your tip gets raised.

By your logic and standard inflation, you would be getting 100% tips in about 22 years. :lmao:

15% is still the standard. 10%-20% is actually the range. 20% means you did an excellent job... more means your floored them. 10% means room is left for improvement. Nothing means either their cheap or you suck. $.02 is saying you really suck and I am taking the time to show you how much you suck by throwing in my two cents.

Agree with you 100%.

I didn't read the entire post either. But I pretty much gauge my server's abilities on keeping my drinking glass filled. If I ask and have to wait, and wait and wait, you're lucky if you 10%. I don't care how busy the place is.

If the glass never gets empty and I never have to ask for a refill then you're getting a minimum of 20%-granted everything else with the order is what was asked for.

If that logic isn't "proper" in th server's eyes, than they need to look for another job IMO.

SeaRide

Xoxo,

Only in America.

Outside of USA, the culture/society where tipping are not expected nor required nor part of "expected salaries". So enjoy it while you can on your job in this American culture.

Don't you EVER expected to get any fcking tips from any foreign tourists.

JMOandSTFU

Mikeinsmd

SeaRide said:
Xoxo, Only in America. Outside of USA, the culture/society where tipping are not expected nor required nor part of "expected salaries". So enjoy it while you can on your job in this American culture.
JMOandSTFU
:yikes: :killingme

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
SeaRide said:
Xoxo,

Only in America.

Outside of USA, the culture/society where tipping are not expected nor required nor part of "expected salaries". So enjoy it while you can on your job in this American culture.

JMOandSTFU

:entitlementgeneration:

BuddyLee

Football addict
SeaRide said:
Xoxo,

Only in America.

JMOandSTFU
The girl friend tells me they won't accept tips out in Australia. The prices for food are higher or something like that.

Triggerfish

No tipping in Japan either, the servers are paid higher wages. In Thailand tipping is expected, Australia, in Sydney they were expecting tips when I went there last at about 2002. Russia, yes. How much tip is appropriate...depends.

Tonya

:banana: Just wanted to thank you for the compliments that were posted on this forum..Also, I have transferred to the Prince Fredrick Bob Evans, anytime you or any of your associates want to stop in dont hesitate to ask for me.(Tonya)
Railroad said:
I can cite one server who consistently does a great job. She works at Bob Evans in First Colony. She's the one that looks like Carol Burnette or the lady that played Flo in Mel's Diner. Anyway, she's efficient, polite, does a great job of keeping up with things without bugging you, etc. Any delays when she's waiting your table are due to the kitchen staff, not her.

Last edited:
S

scupper trout

XOXO17 said:
How was my first post bad? I know a lot of servers and we all get tired of non-tippers or people with bad restaurant etiquette. You don't agree that good service deserves a good tip? You don't agree that you should say please? Or that its ok to sit in a place until 1 am when the place closed at 11pm? People looovve going out to eat,but they don't want to take care of thier server. We remember people too...If you undertipped me last week and you're in again, I will curteous to you,but i will not go out of my way for you.
If you are in someone elses section- i will be sure to warn them about your cheapness.

Having been raised in a family that has owned an establishment for over 75 years (in another state) you seem to think that the fact that you took time from your exteremely busy schedule to go and serve food to people is deserving of extra compensation. I've worked on and off in the "business" for over 30 years, either waiting tables or tending bar.

The standard tip is based upon many factors but as a rule it's around 18%. Not 20. The fact that people bring their kids in and make a mess, yeah it sucks, but chances are these folks rarely get a chance to get out of the house to do so and probably want to have some time to have a decent meal that either one (wife or hubby) hasn't had to cook.

A CUSTOMER doesn't HAVE to say please. They are the CUSTOMER...you are the SERVER..get it?... SERVER? As in...to SERVE. I admit there are some folks that have the personality of a houseplant..but hey, they will be gone after their meal and chances are you won't ever have to deal with them again. So why stress?

As for customers that stay in a section after closing or after you've dropped the check, ask the people if they need anything else. If the manager won't let you go that's your managers deal. Either deal with it or get another job.

In other words quit whining. You work in an area where folks are pretty much down to earth and just expect to be treated well like anyone else. I admit there are some "bad apples" but they don't reflect the whole of your customers. You aren't working at 1789 in G-Town or Inne at Little Washington.

Peace

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
And, another exception to the "rule" is a buffet meal. I'm getting my own food. All the server has to do is keep my drink filled, and pick up the dirty plates. For this, I'd say you're looking at 10%, maybe a little more depending on the circumstances.

I disagree with the server/please comments above. Common courtesy, respect and decency says you should be polite to everyone, even servers. They're human beings, not a piece of furniture. If anything, I am probably more polite to wait staff because I know their job can be very difficult.

Last edited:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Oz said:
And, another exception to the "rule" is a buffet meal. I'm getting my own food. All the server has to do is keep my drink filled, and pick up the dirty plates. For this, I'd say you're looking at 10%, maybe a little more depending on the circumstances.

I disagree with the server/please comments above. Common courtesy, respect and decency says you should be polite to everyone, even servers. They're human beings, not a piece of furniture. If anything, I am probably more polite to wait staff because they are handling things that I will either eat or use to eat.
:yeahthat: and :fixed:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
This past week I stayed at the Embassy Suites in Greenville, SC. The wait staff, all of the staff, were marvelous. The servers made out quite well with my tips - 30% or so.

The last crappy server I had got a 5 cent tip on a $20 bill.

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
Mikey

C wanted to give the girl at Pizza Hut $3 on our $20 check today, but I made him leave $5 because she said it had been slow all day and she looks like she might be pregnant and every bit helps.

I'm not sure what the percentage is, but I know you're trying to keep track of how much everyone tips. :yay:

Oh, and in case the Hut waitress is reading this, I thought she was pregnant because of the shirt she was wearing, not because she had a visible belly. :baby:

Mikeinsmd

K_Jo said:
C wanted to give the girl at Pizza Hut $3 on our $20 check today, but I made him leave $5 because she said it had been slow all day and she looks like she might be pregnant and every bit helps. I'm not sure what the percentage is, but I know you're trying to keep track of how much everyone tips. :yay: Oh, and in case the Hut waitress is reading this, I thought she was pregnant because of the shirt she was wearing, not because she had a visible belly. :baby:
$5 is 25%. $3 would have been 15%.