Arrest Made in the Murder of Moneta Jo Strickland

Midnightrider

Yes, you can get any report which is not an ongoing investigation. There may be information redacted to protect victims and children, (as required by law), but the reports are available.

We had an officer in this county arrest someone for audio taping them. The officer felt at the time that the way the law was written, the person was in violation. The officer was wrong, but not malicious. Police officers are not perfect, nor is every law absolutely defined. That's why there are courts. What that has to do with encrypted radios, is lost on me.

Why do you feel that you deserve to listen to every radio call?

99.9%

if you arent doing anything wrong what do you have to hide?
normal police operations being broadcast is not going to jepordize any officers safety.

glhs837

Power with Control
I dont use scanners myself, although my BIL, a retired officer himself, and his son who is in Corrections both do.

As I recall, she was recording video, I didn't say the officer was malicious, just pointing out that what compromises officer safety might not always be an accurate call.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
99.9%

if you arent doing anything wrong what do you have to hide?
normal police operations being broadcast is not going to jepordize any officers safety.

This may or may not be true. I heard that P G County went to a private channel because the crooks were monitoring the channel to use the information to their advantage. Not being a criminal myself, I am not sure how they used the information to benefit themselves, but I can guess at some ways pretty easily.

This may or may not be true. I heard that P G County went to a private channel because the crooks were monitoring the channel to use the information to their advantage. Not being a criminal myself, I am not sure how they used the information to benefit themselves, but I can guess at some ways pretty easily.
I think it is obvious how the criminal element can use monitoring the police scanner to their advantage. If you hear the chatter about the crime you are commiting you can time how long you have before you have to scat. You can also hear the search areas being called out, you can also hear how many are responding, etc.

Why on earth does anybody expect to be able to listen to police activity on a public airway? I do not at all believe the benefits of us listening outway the cons.

Chris0nllyn

I think it is obvious how the criminal element can use monitoring the police scanner to their advantage. If you hear the chatter about the crime you are commiting you can time how long you have before you have to scat. You can also hear the search areas being called out, you can also hear how many are responding, etc.

Why on earth does anybody expect to be able to listen to police activity on a public airway? I do not at all believe the benefits of us listening outway the cons.

And why can't they use their cell phoens for stuff they don't want to be on the radios?

I'm so sick and tired of people willing to give MORE power and rights to those who wear a badge. We expect it, because WE pay for it.

Allowing government agencies to work in total secret put us where we are. If you're ok with that, so be it, I guess.

Chris0nllyn

He didn't want to be recorded without his consent or knowledge. While at the time, there was case law to support this arrest, it was the position of the agency he worked at as well as the states attorney's office that this should not be a criminal arrest. No video was erased, the charges were nolle prosequi and the phone was returned.

The arrest was not a false arrest because there was probable cause to support the arrest. Training was offered to the officers of that agency and it has not been an issue since.

Were police recording interactions with citizens without their knowledge before the SCOTUS ruled that police have no expectation of privacy?

Chris0nllyn

You work for a government agency or contractor right? It's my money paying your salary right? Can I listen to everything you are doing? Can I monitor your phone calls from the phone line I am paying for?

We aren't working in total secret. ALL of our reports are eventually public information. ALL 911 calls are public record. ALL of our reports are eventually public record.

How is that operating in secret?

No, I don't.

Then what's the issue with encrypted radios? If nothing else is secret, afterall...

Chris0nllyn

The cop arrested someone for filming them without their knowledge, correct? Under the old MD wiretap law, correct?

My question is, how many times did that cop film a citizen interaction without the citizen knowing? And, why does he feel that filming citizens is ok, but feels the need to arrest someone for doing the same thing you all do?

I'm not even discussing law here, I'm talking about morality and honesty. How can one say, "Yea, it's ok if I film you without knowing, but damnit, you better not film me or I'll arrest you!"

It happens now, so I guess it's more a broad question that was brought on by that situation.

Last edited:
And why can't they use their cell phoens for stuff they don't want to be on the radios?

I'm so sick and tired of people willing to give MORE power and rights to those who wear a badge. We expect it, because WE pay for it.

Allowing government agencies to work in total secret put us where we are. If you're ok with that, so be it, I guess.

Really? Really?

Okay.. I'll answer you because you may very well be serious. They don't use cell phones because they have a FREAKIN' DEDICATED AIR-WAVE specifically for police chatter.

How the HELL is that giving them "the power" and stealing "our rights"? We do not have the right to listen in to police activity and especially to their intentions in response to calls. Why do you think that is a right?

Chris0nllyn

Every call dispatched is available to the public. Why should every converstation between officers be available?

I didn't say they should.

When someone brings up police talking on cell phones while driving, the typical response is that they use those phones for work when they don't want certain business on the air.

My question is, why not use those phones, and leave the airway a public domain? Afterall, isn't that what the cell phones are for?

As far as I know, that cop NEVER audio recorded someone without their knowledge. No complaint has been made against that officer which would support what you are saying. There are only a few exceptions to the wire tap laws in Maryland.

Cops don't have recording devices on themselves, and/or their cars?

Chris0nllyn

Really? Really?

Okay.. I'll answer you because you may very well be serious. They don't use cell phones because they have a FREAKIN' DEDICATED AIR-WAVE specifically for police chatter.

How the HELL is that giving them "the power" and stealing "our rights"? We do not have the right to listen in to police activity and especially to their intentions in response to calls. Why do you think that is a right?

Yes, really.

So, what are the cell phones for? I'll direct you to my question to itsrequired.

I didn't say anyone was stealing our rights. I said allowing them to work in secrecy has got bad news written all over it.

We do have that right, and we always have. Why do you think we shouldn't?

Yes, really.

So, what are the cell phones for? I'll direct you to my question to itsrequired.

I didn't say anyone was stealing our rights. I said allowing them to work in secrecy has got bad news written all over it.

We do have that right, and we always have. Why do you think we shouldn't?
Let me see if I can explain it to you in simple terms. The air-waves communications go to all who are tuned in (exclusively law enforcement now) whereas a phone conversation is between two people... more if you are a teenager and figured out how to join all your besties at once... but I digress... Just because they did not encrypt their channel before does not make is a violation of our rights that they chose to do so now. I truly believe it endangers them as well as other citizens for their business to be broadcast for all to hear and react to and I have seriously often wondered for years why they hadn't done this sooner. If you are commiting a B&E or if you are a bunch of underage juvies getting your drink on while having an illegal #### fight in someone's backyard I don't want you knowing the cops are on to you and will be at your location in 'x' amount of time... and so what if you want to be some police groupie sitting in your underwear living vicariously through the police chatter... get a new hobby.

Midnightrider

That cop didn't at that time. This is one of your problems. You can’t see cops as individuals; to you they are all the same. When cameras are introduced, each time a cop approaches a car, he tells them they are being audio and video recorded. This is checked during supervisory quality control checks and there haven't been any instances where they are not notifying people.

Cellular phones are for longer conversations. Radios are for quick current information. Why do you feel people have the right to information that could jeopardize officers, or the public in real time?

you still havent explained how ordinary police commuications being broadcast puts anyone in jeopardy.

if it does it should be easy to prove considering those communications have been broadcast for years.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
May I humbly suggest you all take this argument into a new thread?

Everytime you rant you bump up Mo's thread. It's disrespectful to her memory, her friends and her family.

My two cents.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Really? Really?

ah... actually they do. When they don't want it to go out over the radio they will call the other officer if time and conditions permit.