awesome dressage video

barncat

spellbound said:
You don't have to do dressage to appreciate this video. This horse is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKQgTiqhPbw

The tail swishing was very distracting, I wonder how the judges marked him with all that tail swishing. While the horse kept a very relaxed face, everytime he did passage or tempis and more spur was used the tail was swishing away.

For those who don't know, the dressage world is that anal, tail swishing could definately bring each movement's score down by 1/2 to 1 point.

I also noticed in the extended gaits the frame did not change at all so the foot fall didn't really extended as far as it could. The old saying the feet can only strike as far as the nose definately holds true for this horse's extended work.

I have pictures of a friend working on passage and a few shots where she used the whip to get more lift and the horse's hind end went way up, as in bucking instead of higher lift.

fredsaid2

barncat said:
The tail swishing was very distracting, I wonder how the judges marked him with all that tail swishing. While the horse kept a very relaxed face, everytime he did passage or tempis and more spur was used the tail was swishing away.
QUOTE]

The collective score was 81.50, they placed second. Are freestyles judged differently where the tail movement doesn't matter so much?

barncat

fredsaid2 said:
barncat said:
QUOTE]

The collective score was 81.50, they placed second. Are freestyles judged differently where the tail movement doesn't matter so much?

Very impressive score, I watched part of Anky's video and her horse had very little tail swishing, I wonder how they did, I guess I will have to do a little research and find out.

I'm not sure if the freestyles are judged differently, never did one. I've never even showed FEI (is it still called that?) so I'm not sure what the score sheet looks like. I know when I was eventing I received comments like grinding teeth, tail swishing and what not on the individual movements and then again under horse's obedience.

SerenitStables

barncat said:

For those who don't know, the dressage world is that anal, tail swishing could definately bring each movement's score down by 1/2 to 1 point.

I also noticed in the extended gaits the frame did not change at all so the foot fall didn't really extended as far as it could. The old saying the feet can only strike as far as the nose definately holds true for this horse's extended work.

I have pictures of a friend working on passage and a few shots where she used the whip to get more lift and the horse's hind end went way up, as in bucking instead of higher lift.

I agree the tail swishing was distracting. It shows that the horses is annoyed, as far as most judges are concerned.

She is an amazing horse though. Very pretty.

:smile:

I did some dressage stuff on Madhi on Saturday...he was so funny. He was like "I don't know what the heck this stuff is....I do hunters now!" :lmao:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
fredsaid2 said:
barncat said:
QUOTE]

$150 tail job would fix that...I found it very distracting too I would have taken care of that very easily...

barncat

SerenitStables said:
I agree the tail swishing was distracting. It shows that the horses is annoyed, as far as most judges are concerned.

She is an amazing horse though. Very pretty.

:smile:

I did some dressage stuff on Madhi on Saturday...he was so funny. He was like "I don't know what the heck this stuff is....I do hunters now!" :lmao:

Madhi man has lovely leg yields, shoulder-in and haunches-in at walk/trot/canter. He might need a reminder with a spur to move his butt over, but he knows. He's medium and lengthening work I'm sure have gone...he only had a few days in all the years that I rode him that they were actually great, all the other days they were just so-and-so.

He's probably loving being a hunter, just wait till the jumper in him comes out at a competition, you'll be wondering what the heck happened to your lovely hunter.

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
The movement in the horse was beautiful, but I noticed everytime she received a cue from the spur she swished her tail. This brings me to the conclusion that it was not a pleasureable experience for the horse. She is probably a very compliant horse though to of obtained that level.

I know from experience in certain horse disciplines tail swishing is unacceptable. I tried once taking mygoldnhorse into a western pleasure class. :lmao: She swished her tail the entire time showing her total displeasure for having to go at a slow pace. I never tried that again. But I guess it also wasn't my thing, so it didn't matter.

DQ2B

Pasofever said:
$150 tail job would fix that...I found it very distracting too I would have taken care of that very easily...

That would be forbidden.

The tail swishing was most likely penalized in the collective remarks scoring section at the end of the test under "submission" so there would not be a deduction for each movement of the test. Freestyles also have an artistic quality score which regular, non-Kur test do not and I am guessing that this is where this particular score excelled and provided much of the basis for the 80+ score.

barncat

DQ2B said:
That would be forbidden.

The tail swishing was most likely penalized in the collective remarks scoring section at the end of the test under "submission" so there would not be a deduction for each movement of the test. Freestyles also have an artistic quality score which regular, non-Kur test do not and I am guessing that this is where this particular score excelled and provided much of the basis for the 80+ score.

I thought it would be forbidden too, but isn't that across the board for all disciplines. I thought I remember it stating something like anything that can affect the horses performance would result in disqualification. It's been a few years, but I remember having this discussion with a friend that was goiong to a local show and she gave her mare a herbal calming paste before going to keep the mare quiet. The local shows are normally run under whatever the governing body is called now, last I remember it was USEA.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Hello McFly.........the world is not perfect...how much drugs are in these horses that show or race????? How many have "just buted" knowing that is illegal..come on get a grip...

barncat

Pasofever said:
No sait???????????????????? So when would it be allowed? And why are there so many tail jobs done? :shrug:

I thought it was mostly the English Pleasure type horses that had the procedure done that eliminated the swishing, do other breeds do this also. Me personally, I'd rather have a tail swish as a hint the horse is getting pissed before I'm thrown. Rode a big nasty mare that did that, every single step she swished her tail and you could feel her hind end getting higher and lighter...nasty, nasty horse that I was happy to see leave.