Baltimore City P.O. vs 14 yo skateboarder

Pandora

I think the officer went a bit overboard with this, and he has been suspended with pay pending investigation. This will be all over the news tonight....

YouTube - Baltimore cops V.S. skateboarder

This officer didn't speak to this kid any different than the way my father spoke to me growing up. When my father told me to do something, I didn't dare question him and that kid QUESTIONED the officer, called him a dude (which is disrespectful) and his disrespectful body language is what stirred up the officer’s wrath, even the kid's friend told him to shut up.

I’m not saying it is right, but this is a fine example in communications where two wrongs don’t make a right. But, the officer is clearly more wrong than the juvenile, in the fact that he is expected to maintain a level of professionalism and didn’t do so. He allowed the disrespectful behavior of the juvenile to take a hold of his emotions, put him on a power trip and lash out aggressively and in an unprofessional manner.

Should the city be sued? Absolutely not, like already mentioned, lawsuits take a dent out of the taxpayer money, and I don’t see where any harm was done other than hurt feelings from the officer’s over aggressive, finger pointing attitude. And what is the kid gonna do with the money anyway? It seems to me like it would be a reward for his disrespect. I do think this officer should be disciplined in some way for this incident. And if he doesn't control his emotional outburst, he'll drop dead of a heart attack sooner or later. :twitch:

These kids today are mouthy and have little to no respect for authority and it shows.

MrX

High Octane
I agree, i dont believe the city should be sued but I do believe the officer (and the teen) should be disciplined for his behavior. This would not only use taxpayer funds to pay it, but would most likely give the juvenile the idea that he can get people to do things such as this and in turn be compensated for their actions.

I was listening to 98Rock this morning and they were discussing how the teens had said they like video taping getting yelled at by the police for skating (which happens often).

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
News flash update: Cop was so right in this situation he got SUSPENDED!!!

From Fox News.com

The Baltimore Police Department suspended a police officer after a video surfaced on the Internet showing the officer berating two kids for skateboarding, putting one of them in a headlock and pushing the boy on the concrete.

The video shows Officer Salvatore Rivieri approach the kids at the Inner Harbor of Baltimore, the area where they apparently were skateboarding. The kids tell Rivieri they didn't know they couldn't skateboard there.

"You back-talk me, I'm not your father," Rivieri says. "You hear me? I'm not your father. You give that attitude to your father. You give it to me, I'll smack you upside the head. Shut your mouth, I'm talking."

Click here to watch the YouTube video.

Rivieri was suspended until an internal investigation is complete, Sterling Clifford, a spokesman for the Baltimore Police Department, told FOX News.

“Obviously there is behavior there that raised concerns,” Clifford said. “It’s not behavior that’s acceptable and encouraged within the police department.

In the video, after Rivieri pushes the kid on the ground, he takes his skateboard and puts it in his patrol vehicle.

When he returns, he points his finger in the kid's face.

"Obviously your parents don't put a foot in your butt quite enough because you don't understand the meaning of respect," Rivieri says. "First of all, you better learn how to speak. I'm not 'man,' I'm not 'dude.' I am Officer Rivieri. The sooner you learn that, the longer you're going to live in this world. Because you go around doing this kind of stuff, somebody's going to kill you."

The kid repeatedly tells Rivieri that he "didn't do anything," saying he wants to call his mom.

Phone calls seeking comment from the police union were not immediately returned.

The video, from last July, surfaced on the Internet recently. Clifford said a member of the media e-mailed the clip to the police department late Sunday.

Rivieri is confined to administrative work on his suspension with pay.

Baltimore Mayor Sheila Dixon said she was disappointed after watching the video, Clifford said.

“We’ve invested a lot of time and effort and energy trying to build a stronger relationship between the citizens of Baltimore and the police department,” Clifford said. “An incident like this obviously has the potential to undo this work.”

Last edited:

Go G-Men

News flash update: Cop was so right in this situation he got SUSPENDED!!!

From Fox News.com

The Baltimore Police Department suspended a police officer after a video surfaced on the Internet showing the officer berating two kids for skateboarding, putting one of them in a headlock and pushing the boy on the concrete.

The video shows Officer Salvatore Rivieri approach the kids at the Inner Harbor of Baltimore, the area where they apparently were skateboarding. The kids tell Rivieri they didn't know they couldn't skateboard there.

"You back-talk me, I'm not your father," Rivieri says. "You hear me? I'm not your father. You give that attitude to your father. You give it to me, I'll smack you upside the head. Shut your mouth, I'm talking."

Click here to watch the YouTube video.

Rivieri was suspended until an internal investigation is complete, Sterling Clifford, a spokesman for the Baltimore Police Department, told FOX News.

“Obviously there is behavior there that raised concerns,” Clifford said. “It’s not behavior that’s acceptable and encouraged within the police department.

In the video, after Rivieri pushes the kid on the ground, he takes his skateboard and puts it in his patrol vehicle.

When he returns, he points his finger in the kid's face.

"Obviously your parents don't put a foot in your butt quite enough because you don't understand the meaning of respect," Rivieri says. "First of all, you better learn how to speak. I'm not 'man,' I'm not 'dude.' I am Officer Rivieri. The sooner you learn that, the longer you're going to live in this world. Because you go around doing this kind of stuff, somebody's going to kill you."

The kid repeatedly tells Rivieri that he "didn't do anything," saying he wants to call his mom.

Phone calls seeking comment from the police union were not immediately returned.

The video, from last July, surfaced on the Internet recently. Clifford said a member of the media e-mailed the clip to the police department late Sunday.

Rivieri is confined to administrative work on his suspension with pay.

Baltimore Mayor Sheila Dixon said she was disappointed after watching the video, Clifford said.

“We’ve invested a lot of time and effort and energy trying to build a stronger relationship between the citizens of Baltimore and the police department,” Clifford said. “An incident like this obviously has the potential to undo this work.”

Just dawned on me that between July 2007 and Feb 2008 is an awful lot of time to doctor or edit a videotape... Just a thought...