Barack, from his own website

camily

Peace
Kitchen workers are never paid well. It is unskilled labor that involves no skill at all. There is no "Kitchen worker II" to get promoted to. The salary range is very narrow and there is nothing that can be done about it. You cannot expect a dish washer to make a career out of it and be promoted 5 or 6 times and end up making $20 an hour.

Prep is higher than dishwasher, cook higher than prep. Supervisor, manager, sous chef, chef. There is room for advancement. Many chefs started out this way. Of course, that requires school though.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You mean...

Like abusive employers, poor wages, safety violations, employers not paying taxes and insurance.

...the ones that 'made' them come here and 'make' them stay?

Many Americans are so profoundly lazy and intellectually ignorant of what tough conditions and hard work are anymore. That doesn't make any 'abuse' OK, it just applies a little perspective. If they got here, I think they can find their way home whenever they choose.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Be...

Wow back at you. It never occurred to me that there would be an adult in this country who would defend not reporting a violent crime.

...nice if we had a right to self defense. Then we could be pizzed at these illegals for leaving dead criminals lay all over the place and not reporting it.

Then, we could get mad at them for putting cops out of a job because we're running low on thugs. It never ends. :lol:

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
Not defending it, just saying that it is a bit far to call her an accessory because of it.

:yeahthat:

Seriously...I've been there. I reported and went thru hell afterwards. There were many times in that immediate aftermath I wish I had never said anything at all.

Considering most victims are attacked by someone they know that makes it even harder to prove.

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
Wow what? If your husband was beat up, would you expect him to report it? If your home were robbed, would you report it? Car stolen, kid sliced up at the mall, grandmother pushed down a flight of stairs.....?

Why is this crime any different?

:doh: Boy, what rock are you living under?

Would you like me to repeat all the stuff I heard thru my HS grapevine after I was raped?

No one would have dared say that crap if I had been robbed or shot at.

Some of the guys in my group of friends even had to take one smart ass out behind the skating rink for a little "talk" after bringing me to tears with harassing comments.

And I was raped by a stranger. Aquaintance rapes are notoriously hard to prove in court.

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
Might I add to this debate that many first generation immigrants in our history have dealt with low wages, cramped housing, being targeted for crime, and discrimination. "No Irish Need Apply" ring any bells?

The only thing that changes is what country any particular wave is immigrating from.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Absolutely...

Might I add to this debate that many first generation immigrants in our history have dealt with low wages, cramped housing, being targeted for crime, and discrimination. "No Irish Need Apply" ring any bells?

The only thing that changes is what country any particular wave is immigrating from.

...100% accurate. Especially in the cities. There's still no excuse for unbridled immigration. All congress ever has to do is come up with agreed upon numbers per year instead of a free for all.

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
...100% accurate. Especially in the cities. There's still no excuse for unbridled immigration. All congress ever has to do is come up with agreed upon numbers per year instead of a free for all.

We already do have set numbers of visas that can be issued to citizens of each country every year, both immigrant and H1B. Legal immigration has been under those controls since the 1920s. We even banned new immigrants from one country (China) for a period of time.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Right...

We already do have set numbers of visas that can be issued to citizens of each country every year, both immigrant and H1B. Legal immigration has been under those controls since the 1920s. We even banned new immigrants from one country (China) for a period of time.

...but part of the reason millions flood in is because the numbers, to do it legal and proper, it took years and years. I'm all for immigration. I'm all for an organized plan that doesn't create such shocks to the economy and to the people.

This_person

Would you like me to repeat all the stuff I heard thru my HS grapevine after I was raped?

Some of the guys in my group of friends even had to take one smart ass out behind the skating rink for a little "talk" after bringing me to tears with harassing comments.

And I was raped by a stranger. Aquaintance rapes are notoriously hard to prove in court.
I'm sorry for your personal tragedy and the pain it caused you. Very much so.

But, it doesn't change the fact that a crime is a crime, regardless of how stupid people act. And, not reporting the crime only makes it worse on yourself and others.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

That's awful and I'm sorry that happened to you.

But wouldn't you have felt terrible if you hadn't reported it and he raped some other woman?

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
That's awful and I'm sorry that happened to you.

But wouldn't you have felt terrible if you hadn't reported it and he raped some other woman?

He probably did. He was never caught. My case was handled very poorly. Many time when I was younger I wished I had not reported it at all, since all it did was cause me even more trouble.

Even with modern DNA testing (not available when I was raped) it's still a matter of her word against his unless there is other physical evidence (ie she was drugged, badly bruised, etc).

I can as an adult looking back 20 years say I did the right think and speak out about how my case was handled. But having gone thru what I did I can very well understand why someone would not report a rape.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
at last, somebody wants to end affirmative action quotas:cartwheel:yahoo:

What part of "Equal Opportunity" don't you understand?

Democrats have proven themselves to be the biggest racists time and again..
Affirmative Action is proof.. "You aren't capable of succedding on your own, you aren't smart enough to get into college without help.. "

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Not true. Restaurants are famous for it. It doesn't take long to train someone (they usually already know anyhow) to was dishes or do prep work. They have a chance in a small "mom and pop" place, but the big chains get an endless number of applicants. There are a few they keep and promote to supervisor, but believe me, they are still paid way less than they should be and worked like dogs. It's sad to see. Even sadder when they come to work and you hear how they got jumped riding their bike to work by a bunch of thugs. That happens very frequently and never gets reported.

Worked like dogs & paid way less than they should be? NO ONE holds a gun to their heads to do the jobs at the wages they choose to work for.

If an employer is "taking advantage" (which is not my view) of someone by not paying them high enough wages - people have the freedom of choice to go someplace else. Unless, of course, they are not qualified and/or educated to do anything else. People have recourse if they are being subjected to unfair labor practices, but of course, if they are here illegally they probably don't want to look into those.

Which brings us back to that whole illegal alien thing.

Bann

PREMO Member
Wow back at you. It never occurred to me that there would be an adult in this country who would defend not reporting a violent crime.

Perhaps I will never understand that. I can tell you with complete certainty that if I were attacked, male or female, and raped, I would report it. If for no other reason than, as Vrai suggested, to protect others. However, the other reason for me personally off the bat would be defend my own honor - respect myself.

I'm in this boat as well. Not reporting this type of crime means that it could happen to someone else & I would want to do whatever I could to help catch and then hopefully prosecute the perpetrator.

I look at it as I would be empowered & more in control of the world around me if I was able to help someone else avoid being attacked & helping to get a criminal psycho off the street. Why should I be cowering in a corner afraid for my life and acting like a victim for the rest of my life?

Bann

PREMO Member

:huggy:

I'm sorry about what happened to you. I think sometimes people can be so darn ignorant. Good on your friends who took out the jerk!! I hope they caught the person who did this to you and he was sentenced appropriately.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
But having gone thru what I did I can very well understand why someone would not report a rape.

I can understand why you might feel that way. However, violent criminals are caught and prosecuted every day. So to not report a crime is the height of social irresponsibility.

How did we get off on this tangent, anyway?