Base Drill

We were told non-essential personnel would not be allowed to enter the base during the lockdown portion of the drill.

Every contract has different clauses for this stuff. I know what i'm allowed to do, so i will get paid for that time.

We were told non-essential personnel would not be allowed to enter the base during the lockdown portion of the drill.

But the gate guards don't have lists of who is, and is not, essential. That's a judgement call for each program as to who is critical, and their definition may not be the same as another program. In other words, anyone can still drive thru.

Use common sense. If they can do without you for a day, stay away.

But the gate guards don't have lists of who is, and is not, essential. That's a judgement call for each program as to who is critical, and their definition may not be the same as another program. In other words, anyone can still drive thru.

Check PM

bulldog

Every contract has different clauses for this stuff. I know what i'm allowed to do, so i will get paid for that time.

Not true. Anyone who shows up at the gate with proper credentials (CAC/ID) will be allowed base access. Period, end of story.

Last edited:

bulldog

True that there are no list. However, the process of determining who is considered to be Mission Essential is a bit more than a judgement call. Those folks have to be identified within their specific mission and those numbers have to be forwarded up the chain of command for approval...much higher approval than the base CO in order for the exception to be granted.

Yes, anyone can still drive thru, but if that someone gets to work and they have not been determined to be mission essential, their boss should put a boot dead square in their hind parts. This is for civil service employees. Contract employees are a different animal and has been said, their contract will determine the correct COA.

bulldog

I hope they informed the whole population of St Marys Co. Then perhaps they can avoid the areas outside the gates and not have a situation like over Christmas.

You should see a lot of public information being released this week and continuing through the event.

bulldog

:killingme

We were told we could take leave or switch CWS.

True.

My point is that someone should not be forced to take leave for an event that is beyond their control. And to the point, for federal employees, they won't be forced to. Contractors are subject to their contract.

bulldog

Actually I concur with that. It isn't a matter of whether or not I have leave, it's a matter of using it for a day that I wasn't planning to. I personally like to hoard my leave for something fun. Not to mention if they do that whole no government budget BS possible shutdown again this year. That may mean using more leave (or not) that was not planned. :shrug:

Though I understand the purpose of this exercise, I do think the administrative planning and consideration that went into it for the contractors and civilians was lacking greatly. However, Pax is a unique area in that it has so many contractors and civilians. Flip sides of coin. :shrug:

Actually, I think you'd be surprised at the amount of planning and consideration went into it...from all levels. In the end, it was OPM that shot down the idea of an "admin" day for everyone who is not mission essential. It was a legal issue, not a we don't want to issue.

nobody really

I need a nap
True.

My point is that someone should not be forced to take leave for an event that is beyond their control. And to the point, for federal employees, they won't be forced to. Contractors are subject to their contract.

:killingme

i'll use that excuse next time i call in sick

Last edited: