Base Drill

bulldog

IMHO, I'll disagree. I saw people bouncing to get their lists together and do some work, but the actually planning part (pre-release), sucked. Otherwise there wouldn't be any of the :drama: :shrug:

Could be the case for you at your command/activity, but in reality, this planning has been going on for months and most units have been taking a pretty methodical approach to it and doing a very good job.

DEEKAYPEE8569

:killingme

We were told we could take leave or switch CWS.

I was told, if you do not work a CWS schedule; just a straight 8/40/week; that you would be required to work an extra hour a day until the exercise to earn "comp time;" or simply burn a day of leave.

I was also 1/2 jokingly told to go to lunch at Noon on the 22nd.
Hmmm.....a 3 1/2 day weekend perhaps?

ylexot

Super Genius
Technically, it is not the government forcing contractors to take leave. The government is just closing the base. Contract companies have several options that they can take:
Allow employees to work off-base
Give employees paid leave (not to be billed to the gov)
Pay for employees out of overhead to do other stuff (i.e. training)
Swap CWS
Build comp time to exchange for that day
Tell their employees to piss off

BTW, this is the same situation as a weather emergency where the government closes the base...except that there's a lot of forewarning so the contractors can figure out what they want to do.

Why the confusion? Seems straightforward to me:

BASE ACCESS:

Base access will be implemented in accordance with installation Commanding Officer's guidance. In general, the following guidance applies:

Thursday, March 22: All employees should report to duty as usual and plan to leave the base at their normal departure time. NOTE: Once FPCON CHARLIE is initiated at 12 p.m., only employees designated as Mission Essential Personnel (MEP) should re-enter the base. Non-Mission Essential Personnel (non-MEP) leaving the base after 12 p.m. should NOT plan to return to the base until after the exercise has been completed at 12 p.m. Saturday, March 24. Activities will close at their normal time, with the exception of the Center Stage Theater which will not open for its normal Thursday night movie. Pharmacy, 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Friday, March 23: Mission Essential Personnel (MEP) must report to work as scheduled aboard the installation, or request leave consistent with normal procedures. Non-MEP should make arrangements with their supervisors as appropriate (see guidance for Non-MEP below).

And we are talking 1 day... only 1 day, Friday, is impacted for non-essential. Why the big uproar? :confused:

LordStanley

I know nothing

BASE ACCESS:

Base access will be implemented in accordance with installation Commanding Officer's guidance. In general, the following guidance applies:

Thursday, March 22: All employees should report to duty as usual and plan to leave the base at their normal departure time. NOTE: Once FPCON CHARLIE is initiated at 12 p.m., only employees designated as Mission Essential Personnel (MEP) should re-enter the base. Non-Mission Essential Personnel (non-MEP) leaving the base after 12 p.m. should NOT plan to return to the base until after the exercise has been completed at 12 p.m. Saturday, March 24. Activities will close at their normal time, with the exception of the Center Stage Theater which will not open for its normal Thursday night movie. Pharmacy, 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Friday, March 23: Mission Essential Personnel (MEP) must report to work as scheduled aboard the installation, or request leave consistent with normal procedures. Non-MEP should make arrangements with their supervisors as appropriate (see guidance for Non-MEP below).

And we are talking 1 day... only 1 day, Friday, is impacted for non-essential. Why the big uproar? :confused:

:yeahthat:

Not to mention, most contractors are not MEP.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I'm not getting why this is so difficult for people. It is part of working on a military installation. They gots stuff they gotta do. Your company should provide guidance. I will take leave, because I keep leave on the books at all times for stuff like this. :yahoo:

I know people who are working offbase, people who are taking leave, people who are switching CWS and people who are racking up some comp time before then. There are a bunch of options. pick one :buddies:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I'm not getting why this is so difficult for people. It is part of working on a military installation. They gots stuff they gotta do. Your company should provide guidance. I will take leave, because I keep leave on the books at all times for stuff like this. :yahoo:

I know people who are working offbase, people who are taking leave, people who are switching CWS and people who are racking up some comp time before then. There are a bunch of options. pick one :buddies:

What she said and God bless America we've only had like a million weeks of notice to decide what we want to do and how to do it. It's not like we all showed up for work today and we told we can't come to work tomorrow.

DallasRed

BASE ACCESS:

Because the OCHR Factsheet says this.

NON_MEP

non MEP will be strongly encouraged but not required to remain away from affected CONUS Navy installations during the exercise.

So how can they get away with telling me I cant come to work. What it boils down to is the the company has to pay for it and they don't want to.

nobody really

I need a nap

NON_MEP

non MEP will be strongly encouraged but not required to remain away from affected CONUS Navy installations during the exercise.

So how can they get away with telling me I cant come to work. What it boils down to is the the company has to pay for it and they don't want to.

so, just show up and see what happens. let us know how it works for you.

so, just show up and see what happens. let us know how it works for you.

:yeahthat: If they let you on then you are good to go... if they stop you than you did your part to participate in the lockdown and giving the guards a reason to wave around their big guns and turn you around...:patriot:

But you will want to check to be sure your building/office will even be unlocked. If the gov't folks are the ones that open the office and they don't go to work, then you'll be going back out the gate without pay and with less gas in your tank for your effort.

DallasRed

:yeahthat: If they let you on then you are good to go... if they stop you than you did your part to participate in the lockdown and giving the guards a reason to wave around their big guns and turn you around...:patriot:

But you will want to check to be sure your building/office will even be unlocked. If the gov't folks are the ones that open the office and they don't go to work, then you'll be going back out the gate without pay and with less gas in your tank for your effort.

No problem, I have a key : )

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

BASE ACCESS:

This is my first time in close to twenty years that I'm not considered essential, I'm kind of looking forward to it.

PrepH4U

NON_MEP

Well just from what I have seen here, if you were at my company and it took this long for something to sink in I wouldn't want to pay you either..... ever!:killingme

nomoney

NON_MEP

It's not fair :bawl:

If I was you, I'd quit :popcorn: