Beavers! Help!

Magnum

Should be Huntin
girliegirl said:
Well let me tell you that these beavers that have adopted my pond are scared of nothing..The 4-wheelers do not bother them, the gator does not bother them, nothing. The more we disturb them, the more they flap their tales, and then at night they get their revenge by destroying even more trees. I am telling you, I have never, ever seen anything like this...It's like living in some wild life documentary gone wrong.... :banghead:

You could always get some type of explosives to destroy the dams.... But what we used to do is get a bunch of people together to rip the dam apart as fast as possible, after we did enough damage over a few days the beavers would give up on fixing it

girliegirl

Magnum said:
You could always get some type of explosives to destroy the dams.... But what we used to do is get a bunch of people together to rip the dam apart as fast as possible, after we did enough damage over a few days the beavers would give up on fixing it
Unfort. I get to say been there, done that...Just like we keep tearing open the ponds that they keep closing off, since they say beavers hate running water....All they do is jam the opening back up overnight...I swear it's like I have beavers with super powers....

Magnum

Should be Huntin
girliegirl said:
Unfort. I get to say been there, done that...Just like we keep tearing open the ponds that they keep closing off, since they say beavers hate running water....All they do is jam the opening back up overnight...I swear it's like I have beavers with super powers....

Thats why I said get alot of people together for a few days in a row. I'f you just break the top layer it's easy for them to fix, when you actually get down in there and remove the mud that hold the base together the dam will fall apart easier, and whatever they patch will be fresh and easier to break down

girliegirl

Magnum said:
Thats why I said get alot of people together for a few days in a row. I'f you just break the top layer it's easy for them to fix, when you actually get down in there and remove the mud that hold the base together the dam will fall apart easier, and whatever they patch will be fresh and easier to break down
I see said the Blind man.... :notworthy

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Or find some bored kids give them shotguns crack the dam, wait for the beavers to come out to fix it and your beavers will be gone. Not the best way to do it though, you could trap and release

Magnum

Should be Huntin
girliegirl said:
Makes total sense, never even thought of the fact that we weren't breaking enough of it open...Thanks

usually what we would do is break open 4 sections about 10 - 20 feet long. this way they would need 4 crews, it's funny within the 10 dams there was a hut in each, like a neighborhood, when one dam was compromised at first the beavers from the other dam would come help, so we had to spread our resources and break a few dams in multiple places

girliegirl

Vince said:
EXPLOSIVES work wonders.
If I thought my animal loving neighbors wouldnn't some how report me to whoever, then I would I own a farm, however wher the pond is, is where a neighbors house is..trust me, the thought has crossed my mind...

girliegirl

girliegirl said:
If I thought my animal loving neighbors wouldnn't some how report me to whoever, then I would I own a farm, however wher the pond is, is where a neighbors house is..trust me, the thought has crossed my mind...
fingers moving a little too fast..Should read:If I thought my animal loving neighbors wouldnn't some how report me to whoever, then I would, I own a farm, however where the pond is, is where a neighbors house is..trust me, the thought has crossed my mind...

girliegirl

Magnum said:
So have you tried breaking it open yet??
Oh yes, we did that this weekend..Friday, Saturday and Again last night....They were way upset last night at us...They were swimming back and forth flapping their tales in the water making these huge splashes....It was very amusing! :lol:

Magnum

Should be Huntin
girliegirl said:
Oh yes, we did that this weekend..Friday, Saturday and Again last night....They were way upset last night at us...They were swimming back and forth flapping their tales in the water making these huge splashes....It was very amusing! :lol:

Sounds like fun!! I miss those days I just don't have time to go out and play in the woods anymore, Sucks growing up

girliegirl

Magnum said:
Sounds like fun!! I miss those days I just don't have time to go out and play in the woods anymore, Sucks growing up
Oh trust me, my time could have been spent elsewhere, however, like I mentioned before they are destroying the trees on my farm as well as the pond, and I can't let that happen. So, we will wait a few days and see what happens... :burning:

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
Old thread...but current problem. How protected are the beavers? Can you distroy the dam or is it illegal?

Ponytail

persimmoncf said:
Old thread...but current problem. How protected are the beavers? Can you distroy the dam or is it illegal?

Get a trappers license, beat them with a hose and sell the skins. :yay: Or Get a trapper to come in and do it. I don't think beavers are protected. Otters are.

persimmoncf said:
PM James White. He's in the wildlife management business. He'll get rid of them for you.