• Kirk Hammett

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Yngieway Malmsteen

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FireBrand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The boy and I were sitting here watching UTube videos and was watching different guitarist... I think sux2b44 was just throwing the names up to see what others thought - no more, no less...

I have played on and off for 20 (more off than on) - we had Wayne's World in our garage @ our first house! The neighbors loved me when I played Black Sabbath out of the 4x12!!! :lol: - Man, I need to get back into it... I have to relearn it all over! Plus the boy wants to learn so what the hell right?

If I had to pick one person to sit under and learn how to play like them it would be Zakk Wylde... he just seems to be in tune with himself and his music IMO.

Not trying to come down hard on anyone but as I tried to elude to in my first post, It's all a matter of opinion and pleasure! Many technical greats out there and one cannot be deemed better than the other.

:buddies:

Not trying to come down hard on anyone but as I tried to elude to in my first post, It's all a matter of opinion and pleasure! Many technical greats out there and one cannot be deemed better than the other.

:buddies:

It's all good!

I love all of them in the list - it is sooooo hard to pick one...

Clapton - heck, there is one man so in tune with his music - but he not my style - I like him though! But completly different than Yngwie Malmsteen who can SHRED technically and cleanly... who is different than Steve Vai - who I think is phenominal as well...

I like listening to ZW for some reason - he can go from shiat kicking country to something extremely technical... play with one hand, drink a beer, crush the can and continue on without missing a beat. :lol: That always cracked me up... I just grew up listening to Black Sabbath, Ozzy, etc. and have followed him all the way through..

PsyOps

Pixelated
I'm a *little* partial towards jazz and blues guitarists, so I'll throw these names out: Pat Metheny, Wes Montgomery, Les Paul, George Benson, Larry Coryell, Lee Ritenour, Russ Freeman, John Scofield, Charlie Byrd, Earl Klugh, B.B. King, Robert Johnson...the list could go on and on...

In rock, I'd say Eddie Van Halen, Eric Clapton, Hendrix, Stevie Ray, Joe Satriani, Carlos Santana, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page are my top ones.

Again, most of it is a personal preference and some cross genres like Santana and Clapton but they're all great in their own way. :cheers:

Now this is a thread I can relate to more than any. I think you're right on Jazz Lady. But there is one that none of the guitarists listed would be anything had it not been for the cutting edge of Charlie Christian. Back when guitar only sat in the back and comped along he broke out with his blues/jazz soloing to the forefront and forever put the guitar in the books as a lead instrument.

In today's modern guitar playing you wont find more innovation and ability than in Pat Metheny. With every recording he cuts into a new angle of guitar playing and instrumentation. Find anyone who is playing one of these guitars. And Metheny was one of the first to introduce the guitar synthesizer and here.

Another player we can't leave out in terms of technical, melodic and spiritual abilites and just plain fun to watch is Tommy Emmanuel.

Last edited:

FireBrand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So many good influences! Sat in first row to see Eric Johnson, Saw Zeppelin/Page twice (72 and 75) also, Jeff Beck. I met Michael Hedges right before a great concert in Annapolis (he reinvented the guitar !) I need to mention Steve Hackett. Steve Howe, Bruce Cockburn, Phil Keaggy, Andy Powell, Ted Turner, Adres Segovia, Les Paul, David Gilmour, Martin Barre, Steve Morse, Brian Setzer...... Soooooooooo many others !

Last edited:

chaotic

This is your captain!
So many good influences! Sat in first row to see Eric Johnson, Saw Zeppelin/Page twice (72 and 75) also, Jeff Beck. Met Michael Hedges right before a great new age concert (he reinvented the guitar !) I need to mention Steve Hackett. Steve Howe, Bruce Cockburn, Phil Keaggy, Andy Powell, Ted Turner, Adres Segovia, Les Paul, David Gilmour, Martin Barre, Steve Morse, Brian Setzer...... Soooooooooo many others !

I forgot Michael Hedges! I saw him when I was in college. Rickover's Dream is amazing.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Now this is a thread I can relate to more than any. I think you're right on Jazz Lady. But there is one that none of the guitarists listed would be anything had it not been for the curring edge of Charlie Christian. Back when guitar only sat in the back and comped along e broke out with his blues/jazz soloing to the forefront and forever put the guitar in the books as a lead instrument.
Amen! He was definitely one of the pioneers. I would have loved to seen the Benny Goodman Sextet in the early 40's - Goodman, Charlie Christian, Count Basie, Cootie Williams, and Georgie Auld. Heck of an array of talent.

In today's modern guitar playing you wont find more innovation and ability than in Pat Metheny. With every recording he cuts into a new angle of guitar playing and instrumentation. Find anyone who is playing one of these guitars. And Metheny was one of the first to introduce the guitar synthesizer.
And I know you're just a *wee* bit partial there yourself. :smoochy: He is amazing as we've discussed. So, any more recordings yourself?

Another player we can't leave out in terms of technical, melodic and spiritual abilites and just plain fun to watch is Tommy Emmanuel.

Wow, I have never heard of him until now and definitely won't forget him. Thanks! :cheers:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Finally...

...Chet gets a mention.

Anyone ever hear of a guy named Les Paul? Di Meola?

There is no 'best' until you define best what. Best scale player? Best feel? Best technique? Best metal player? Best blues? Best classical? Best rock? Best country? Best fusion? Best musician? Best songwriter? Ground breaker? Innovator? So on and so forth.

Suffice it to say there are many, many, fantastic guitar players, both dead and alive and 'best' just boils down to genre and opinion anyway. You're not even going to get agreement from great guitar players on who is 'THE best'.

My favorite story about guitar players is about Chet Atkins:

He was in a studio back in the day and was playing some awesome guitar, I don't remember what it was. An onlooker said, when Chet paused for a moment, 'Man, that thing sure sounds sweet!'

Chet set it down and said "How does it sound now?"