• Kirk Hammett

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Yngieway Malmsteen

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I chose Hendrix, based on your options. However, I feel Clapton should have been up there as well.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
...Chet gets a mention.

Anyone ever hear of a guy named Les Paul? Di Meola?
Les Paul was on my list but I forgot Chet Atkins and Al Di Meola. :doh:

Suffice it to say there are many, many, fantastic guitar players, both dead and alive and 'best' just boils down to genre and opinion anyway. You're not even going to get agreement from great guitar players on who is 'THE best'.
Exactly what I said in my post. My list is heavily skewed towards jazz and blues artists because that's what I enjoy the most and is not a slight in the least towards another genre. There are some very talented heavy metal and country guitarists but since I don't normally enjoy that type of music, they don't make my list - MY personal preference.

My favorite story about guitar players is about Chet Atkins:

He was in a studio back in the day and was playing some awesome guitar, I don't remember what it was. An onlooker said, when Chet paused for a moment, 'Man, that thing sure sounds sweet!'

Chet set it down and said "How does it sound now?"

:lmao: :yay:

E

(((echo)))

if your gonna ask a question like this, you have to divide em up into genres...

being one myself i find it almost impossible to pick one however guitarists like this are starting to peak my interest... and i'm currently trying to learn this style :yay:

Jedmobile

Far too many great guitarists out there to have favorites imho. Appreciate them all for what they do individually.

E

(((echo)))

Please excuse me while I make sure ALL of you hear this....

DIMEBAG DARRELL of P-A-N-T-E-R-A

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Interesting...

...that the 'poorest' player on the list is winning by miles.

Before anyone gets upset, Hendrix was a ground breaker and an innovator and very talented. Point is, hypothetically speaking, everyone on that list would blow him off the stage, except maybe Slash, on a decent night. And I mean by a lot.

T

Toreadoralpha

So many great guitarists, so little time...

A lot of greats listed here. I was surprised to see Martin Barre listed. While he is the lead guitar of my favorite all time band, Jethro Tull, I have never considered of of the greatist guitar players.

I'd like to add to the list of greats, Adrian Belew and Robert Fripp.

Rael

Supper's Ready
So many great guitarists, so little time...

A lot of greats listed here. I was surprised to see Martin Barre listed. While he is the lead guitar of my favorite all time band, Jethro Tull, I have never considered of of the greatist guitar players.

I'd like to add to the list of greats, Adrian Belew and Robert Fripp.

:yeahthat:
Both pioneers. I googled "top 100 guitarists" and found Glen Buxton on one (from Alice Cooper). Surprised to see him there, too (another dead guy, BTW). More disappointed I didn't see Steve Hackett on there. Well, what do they know? hmpph.