Beware of Waldorf Sales Mgrs - Toyota

Senior05

Waldorf Toyota Service Department

Watch out for this service department if you have your car serviced by Waldorf Toyota. We had our oil changed and the tires rotated, and before we could make it home, (and we live in Waldorf) the left front tire fell off the car -- while the car was in motion. This caused extensive damage to the car. There is no quality assurance at this dealership.

The_Twisted_Ear

A proud Conservative!
Wow - bummer. I had my 2004 Nissan Frontier CrewCab oil changed (4X4, etc.) at Sheehy Nissan in Waldorf - the bill was gigantic. Anyway, 3,000 miles later I came back for a normal oil change and the representative came in with a dirty rag and said I needed my 4X4 gearbox oil changed since it was so dirty. I asked him to print out my last service - yuppa - their it was - 4X4 gearbox oil change (with everything else that used oil). Needless to say, he was embarassed and said they would change it again (apparently they didn't change it the first time). My point is - you can't trust any dealership these days without going behind them and verifying. Now, I make a point to watch them work on my car(s) when possible. It is such a shame...

Watch out for this service department if you have your car serviced by Waldorf Toyota. We had our oil changed and the tires rotated, and before we could make it home, (and we live in Waldorf) the left front tire fell off the car -- while the car was in motion. This caused extensive damage to the car. There is no quality assurance at this dealership.

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
I have an appointment this week at Toyota of LP for my Tacoma. There's already an issue over the phone whether the problem is covered under the warrenty or not because I change my own oil. Actually, the two times they changed the fluids, they used the wrong oil. Since I haven't been there for a few months they say the warrenty may be void which I say:bs:. There's 30,000 miles left on the warrenty that I paid extra for. The current problem is with the electrical system and has nothing to do with the engine. I love my truck but the few times I've dealt with Toyota has not been very gratifying. This week could decide if I ever by another one.

The_Twisted_Ear

A proud Conservative!
Based on everything I've read wharf rat - all you need is a record of when you changed it, type of oil and filter, etc. It is recommended that you also have a receipt. I also read that the only time it becomes an issue is if you have engine problem's that can be traced to the type (and frequency) of your oil changes. It is one gigantic stretch to tie oil change causing electrical problems!:lmao:

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
Another thing to watch for is when they say that they need to clean the "throttle body". This almost never needs cleaning! A while back another dealership tried to get me on that but I caught them. The throttle body is the unit, on a fuel injected engine, that takes the place of the carburetor. They said they cleaned it but the soot from the engine was still on the bolts. They never even took it off the engine to clean it! I'd report them to the Attorney General or the local news if it happens to you because you know it goes on every day...

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
My point is - you can't trust any dealership these days without going behind them and verifying. Now, I make a point to watch them work on my car(s) when possible. It is such a shame...
They say that customers cannot be in the service area for "insurance reasons", but that's only a very small part of it. They have something to hide and that's why customers aren't allowed there.

I'm really glad that I've found a very good and trustworthy mechanic here in the Dorf...In fact, I'll do a little flag waving for them: Blue Ribbon auto service on Old Washington Rd (rte 925 across from IHOP). 301.843.1232

I brought my previous car in a few years ago because the driver's side power window wouldn't go up. I fully expected to have a $300 or $400 bill for a new motor, plus labor. He called me back an hour later and said the car was ready and the bill was $26. I said: You replaced a power window motor that quick? He said: the motor was fine; the track that the window rides in just needed some grease. Now that's awesome, honest service! Most other places would have SAID they replaced the motor and charged me for it, when they actually didn't replace it...

Last edited:

RPMDAD

A personal recommendation, have been very happy with Bayside Toyota in Prince Frederick Md.. Have purchased 3 vehicles from them and have been very happy with the service dept. Disclaimer i do not work for any car dealership, just a happy consumer from this place of business.

The_Twisted_Ear

A proud Conservative!
They say that customers cannot be in the service area for "insurance reasons", but that's only a very small part of it. They have something to hide and that's why customers aren't allowed there.

Actually, at the Sheehy (Waldorf) Nissan - they have a window looking into the Bay between the Service Department and the Service Supervisor. I just walked between them and look out the window in the Supervisor's Office. In the summer - they leave the Bay door's open.

I'm really glad that I've found a very good and trustworthy mechanic here in the Dorf...In fact, I'll do a little flag waving for them: Blue Ribbon auto service on Old Washington Rd (rte 925 across from IHOP). 301.843.1232

Super! Unfortunately, I'm a little chicken - I always buy the extra warranty and just don't want to fight them for proof of correct service. So, I just pay more and have them do it all. I know - it isn't necessary - it is just for my piece of mind.

I brought my previous car in a few years ago because the driver's side power window wouldn't go up. I fully expected to have a $300 or $400 bill for a new motor, plus labor. He called me back an hour later and said the car was ready and the bill was $26. I said: You replaced a power window motor that quick? He said: the motor was fine; the track that the window rides in just needed some grease. Now that's awesome, honest service! Most other places would have SAID they replaced the motor and charged me for it, when they actually didn't replace it...

Funny you should mention power window - one of my trucks window's always slow down to a crawl. The first time it happened I took it back to Sheehy and they fixed it, gave me a can of WD-40 - and said to spray it down the tracks when they slow down. Isn't it a shame that you pay mega-bucks for a truck and you have to travel around with a can of WD-40 (smile).

glhs837

Power with Control
I have an appointment this week at Toyota of LP for my Tacoma. There's already an issue over the phone whether the problem is covered under the warrenty or not because I change my own oil. Actually, the two times they changed the fluids, they used the wrong oil. Since I haven't been there for a few months they say the warrenty may be void which I say:bs:. There's 30,000 miles left on the warrenty that I paid extra for. The current problem is with the electrical system and has nothing to do with the engine. I love my truck but the few times I've dealt with Toyota has not been very gratifying. This week could decide if I ever by another one.

As long as you can prove the serive was done IAW the specs, you are good. That means you can prove you bought the right supplies, and the knowledge to install them properly. What is the book spec for the torque on your oil pan drain bolt? If you are going to duke it out with these folks, I recommend knowing that, and what page of the book its on.

Of course, even if you left the bolt out and siezed the engine, that wouldnt alleviate their responsibility to fix electrical issues under warranty. Usually, if a maker restricts a warranty (voiding an entire vehicles waranty is pretty rare, although dealerships toss the word aound with wild abandon) they do so on a system basis.

If you install a security system, or any other modification to the electrical system, they might flag your car for any warranty work needed on that system. Aftermarket 24" wheels? Axles, suspension, drivetrain, even motor. What often happens, though, is that the front guy says "Whoops, whole warranty is void, that air freshener isnt Toyota" Thats the shotgun approach. If you buy it, he just bought the dealership a huge profit.

Its like a plea bargain process, with them starting at death penalty and working you down to where you say okay.

ftcret

I need to have the summer air removed from my tires and replaced with winter air ( I know I am doing this late) where can I go that won't rip me off?
:drummer:

glhs837

Power with Control
Actually, the nitrogen fill folks would have you believe that if you dont use thier product (and I hate to think how many people are paying for that scam) you need to change out. But you do need to be aware that seasonal adjustments should be made. If you last adjusted your tires in summer, they are probably about 4-6psi or so lower today.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Once again you prove to be the village idiot...

Answer these questions Bob:

1. How many miles does the average car lease allow you to drive?

2. How many miles does the average Saint Mary's commuter put on a car? Hint, we're putting 30k per year on a car...

3. How expensive are the lease miles after going over your limit? Hint, it's like a cell phone...

P.S: you really should just go ahead and get rid of that bubble house you bought to relieve all the frustration you've got from constantly being broke...

:whistle:

Since I just saw this... or I just didn't care enough to respond earlier.

A lease can be for as many miles as you need it to be.. but of course you knew that (did't you?)

Like a cell phone, you can buy the minutes (miles) up front at a huge discount, or pay for them at full price after the fact. You can lease a low mileage contract of say 8 - 10k miles, or you can lease a high mile lease. Depending on the make of car the high mileage lease can be hugely expensive (think Dodge or GM lease) or not much more at all (think Nissan or Toyota).

In the end leases aren't for everyone.. like for me, I now hold onto my cars for 10 or more years, I don't trade in every 3 or 4 years.

But the fact is, cars are never worth as much as they are when you buy them, and using your logic for renting a house, why in the world would you buy a car? You should just rent from Avis as needed, that would be the logical conclusion for you.

Last edited:
Another thing to watch for is when they say that they need to clean the "throttle body". This almost never needs cleaning! A while back another dealership tried to get me on that but I caught them. The throttle body is the unit, on a fuel injected engine, that takes the place of the carburetor. They said they cleaned it but the soot from the engine was still on the bolts. They never even took it off the engine to clean it! I'd report them to the Attorney General or the local news if it happens to you because you know it goes on every day...

Not true. I have to clean the throttle body on my GMC truck at least once a year. The throttle butterfly gets sticky. To clean it does not require it's removal, only the air tube, one clamp. From there it's cleaned fine with injector cleaner on a rag, and if it's really crummy, spraying cleaner into the butterfly while the engine is running (can't do this on very many, when the air intake is removed, the mass flow sensor won't let the engine run).

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
Actually, at the Sheehy (Waldorf) Nissan - they have a window looking into the Bay between the Service Department and the Service Supervisor. I just walked between them and look out the window in the Supervisor's Office. In the summer - they leave the Bay door's open.
I'm sure most of them will find a way to still rip people off even if they're watching them through a glass window. I just do not trust dealerships. All those years they played pricing games with us. Remember the: "I'll go check with my manager to see if I can give you that price"? The back & forth until we both came to an agreed price? They can go to he!! for trying to rip us all off. On top of all that, the car would then seriously de-value when I drove it off the lot!

My late Dad had blind trust in them. He brought his car to Ken Dixon (he bought it used there) to have a head gasket replaced. They did it and charged him @ $500 (this was back in 2000). They gave him a one year warranty on it and (don't you know) 13 months later it was leaking again and they told him that he needed it replaced but they wouldn't honor the warranty because it had expired (barely a month)!! I was actually glad that GM was about to fold. Stupid Obama Democrats!

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
Not true. I have to clean the throttle body on my GMC truck at least once a year. The throttle butterfly gets sticky. To clean it does not require it's removal, only the air tube, one clamp. From there it's cleaned fine with injector cleaner on a rag, and if it's really crummy, spraying cleaner into the butterfly while the engine is running (can't do this on very many, when the air intake is removed, the mass flow sensor won't let the engine run).
I used to be a mechanic and I know exactly what you're saying but I've never had to clean mine in any vehicle that I've owned and I've kept some for around 180,000 miles. Do you have an oil leak? I do all the regular maintenance on mine also. Where do you drive that thing that it gets so dirty & gummy? The most I've ever had on mine was a slight amount of grease on the manifold bolts because I had a slight gasket leak...

The_Twisted_Ear

A proud Conservative!
Funny you should mention Ken Dixon. I bought a new 1985 Chevy Tahoo Blazer. Within the first week - it was leaking oil around the head gaskets! The Service Manager told me to look around the parking lot - all cars leak. I just looked at him in amazement and said I hadn't even made a payment and my truck leaks? Oh gosh - can I tell you stories about Ken Dixon. Needless to say, I never bought another thing from Ken Dixon (the crook!). Oh yea, it only took them four visits to stop the leak - unbelievable.

My late Dad had blind trust in them. He brought his car to Ken Dixon (he bought it used there) to have a head gasket replaced. They did it and charged him @ $500 (this was back in 2000). They gave him a one year warranty on it and (don't you know) 13 months later it was leaking again and they told him that he needed it replaced but they wouldn't honor the warranty because it had expired (barely a month)!! I was actually glad that GM was about to fold. Stupid Obama Democrats!

I used to be a mechanic and I know exactly what you're saying but I've never had to clean mine in any vehicle that I've owned and I've kept some for around 180,000 miles. Do you have an oil leak? I do all the regular maintenance on mine also. Where do you drive that thing that it gets so dirty & gummy? The most I've ever had on mine was a slight amount of grease on the manifold bolts because I had a slight gasket leak...

Just the design or something, local travel mostly. Seems to happen most when it's really hot out.

Anyway, it's not about my truck, the point was that the throttle body does not have to be removed to be cleaned.