Big fire in Leonardtown

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Behind the firehouse.

Leonardtown, MD (1:35 p.m.) — Leonardtown Volunteer Fire Department is responding to a commercial fire behind the Leonardtown Volunteer Fire Department. The building is well involved with multiple exposures.

Advisory: Avoid Lawrence Avenue in Leonardtown in the area of the firehouse due to building fire. Fire EMS and Police on scene. Road is Closed.

A friend posted this pic on FB:

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member

It says " commercial fire behind the Leonardtown Volunteer Fire Department," but from the photo it looks like the house on Lawrence Ave at the bottom right of the image above.

Last edited:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
No, it is the old Dooley's furniture store. From LVFD's FB page:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
View attachment 138453

It says " commercial fire behind the Leonardtown Volunteer Fire Department," but from the photo it looks like the house on Lawrence Ave at the bottom right of the image above.
In the picture above, it is the building in the lower left, directly beside Shepherd's Old Field Market. Another view from the back lot of the firehouse:

luvmygdaughters

Hmmm...residents on Lawrence Avenue, Pope St. and Barthelme were complaining, because patrons of the SOF Market were blocking driveways and streets. Now they have a nice size parking lot to use. :whistle:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Hmmm...residents on Lawrence Avenue, Pope St. and Barthelme were complaining, because patrons of the SOF Market were blocking driveways and streets. Now they have a nice size parking lot to use. :whistle:

Three retired businessmen were chatting while lying on the beach in Miami. When the conversation turned to how they retired and why, the first volunteered that he'd decided to call it quits after his furniture store burned to the ground. The second one nodded sympathetically and said he'd made the decision after his restaurant burned to the ground. The third, sharing their pain, said his hardware store had been completely wiped out by a flood. The first two looked at each other in surprise and uttered in unison " How tf do you start a flood??"

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

:lol: I love SOF Market but the parking situation is pretty bad. I haven't seen anything official in the news, but read several posts on FB where people mentioned they heard an explosion around the time of the fire. Whether or not it caused by or was the result of that fire remains to be determined. Just very thankful no one was injured and no other buildings were involved. It was the old Dooley furniture warehouse and had been vacant for many years.

Leonardtown, MD- On July 1, 2019, at 1:25 p.m. a neighbor discovered a fire at the Dooley’s Furniture store located on Duke Street in Leonardtown, MD.

This building is located behind the Leonardtown Volunteer Fire Department. Units from the Leonardtown VFD, Mechanicsville VFD, Bay District VFD, and Hollywood VFD responded. The blaze took approximately 45 minutes to gain control of.

The Office of the State Fire Marshal was called in to investigate. The Preliminary report states the fire started in the rear of the building, however, the cause is yet to be determined. there was no loss of life or injuries reported with the incident.

The Fire Marshal estimates the losses to be $200,000.00 (structure) and $15,000.00( contents). The building is listed as completely destroyed.

luvmygdaughters

I like the SOF Market too. Fortunately, I live close enough, I can walk to it. But, I have seen people blocking private driveways and streets. Honestly, with the pub and the market, parking is very limited in Leonardtown. They need to run a shuttle service from the wharf to Leonardtown Proper.

I like the SOF Market too. Fortunately, I live close enough, I can walk to it. But, I have seen people blocking private driveways and streets. Honestly, with the pub and the market, parking is very limited in Leonardtown. They need to run a shuttle service from the wharf to Leonardtown Proper.
Isn't there still a ton of parking just behind Leonardtown square new Tudor Hall?

officeguy

Nobody would use it.

I dont think there is a time limit on parking in the square, so it gets taken up by people who go to work for the day. Make the parking on the square something reasonable like 90 minutes or two hours so it is available for the patrons of the businesses around the square.