Blockers in left lane....have a ticket.

Should Maryland have a "Keep Right Law"

• Left lane for passing or turning left

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Keep right if going slower than traffic flow regardless of speed limit or when being overtaken

Votes: 46 48.4%
  • Keep right if going slower than speed limit

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • Mr. Magoo would be proud when he looks in the rear view mirror...

Votes: 9 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BOP

There are signs that say move to the left. That one looks like it even tells you what it'll cost. I've also seen posted minumum speeds, mostly out West. 2 miles under the posted just isn't worthy of a ticket IMO. Maybe a warning.

Unless she gave the cop attitude.

bcp

In My Opinion
I travel from St. Mary's to D.C. every single day on it. And it does get crazy at times. I truly believe though it wouldn't be half as bad if the left lane was for "cruising" and the right lane for "pokeys." It seems to get insane when your cruisers are darting from lane to lane trying to pass the left lane vehicle that is driving door to door with the right lane unhurried. Yada yada yada, I hear ya - everybody should travel 55 miles an hour (when posted) because it’s THE LAW. Just IMO that Southern Maryland highway in particular would run much more smoothly if it were separated into a "Fast lane" and a "Slow lane." Would decrease a lot of aggressive driving which turns into reckless driving.

Im thinking of all the entrances from the left, and the intersections without lights. Now between Prince Frederick and Solomons I can see picking it up to 60 or 70 at times, but not before our through PF.

Thats ok... Im smart enough to change lane and go around you.

I have a fat ass.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Because so many other states have moved faster than MD to improve road safety and have enacted "stay left/no passing on the right" laws?

:howdy:

MD was going to make the signs until MOM realized he spent all the Transportation Fund money on the ICC and Casa De Maryland.

kom526

Maybe they could build a right hand turn only/passing lane like we have in the dorf. You get over, put on your turn signal, pass a bunch of cars then get back into traffic farther up the road.
:killingme:
Uhhhh...

No such thing! That is a TURN ONLY LANE! It is not intended as a "passing lane" according to traffic law.

Although, most folks around here that DO use it as a passing lane have no concept of traffic laws anyway! :coffee:

Your sarcasmometer is broked I think.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I should not have to INCONVENIENCE myself to accomodate someone who is speeding. Feel free to INCONVENIENCE yourself and go around me. :yay:

Seriously?

You actually consider it an inconvenience to drive your car while you're driving your car?
Is it really difficult to pay attention to what's going on around you?

bcp

In My Opinion
Seriously?

You actually consider it an inconvenience to drive your car while you're driving your car?
Is it really difficult to pay attention to what's going on around you?

evidently, the abilty to pay attention decreases with speed.
otherwise the speeders would have no issue with passing when safe to do so.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Where do you get that stat from, and where does it apply to? MSP here in SMC, or other places?

MSP statewide totals from their website.

When someone gets a serious ticket they usually slap on a few more to go along with it, like registration, unsafe lane change, not stopping, etc.

bcp

In My Opinion

When someone gets a serious ticket they usually slap on a few more to go along with it, like registration, unsafe lane change, not stopping, etc.

My last ticket for speeding was in 1986, but it was just a warning because I saw the cop and pulled over before he even came out of his hiding place to get me.

Thought I was going to get one in Myrtle Beach when I shoved the Nissan up under the Jeep, but I didnt.

glhs837

Power with Control

Link or better description, please? Cant seem to find that data on there.

kom526

Attachments

• picard.jpg
    picard.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 75

glhs837

Power with Control
Well, I found this......

http://www.mdsp.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=1vGeWd61jxg=&tabid=429&mid=1074

Stats for 2011

Citations for speeding, come in three classes, speeding in a 55, in a 65, and all other speed zones.

55 - 54,000
65 - 31,000 (far fewer roads have 65 limits, I think)
Other speeding - 42,000

Now heres where it gets interesting.......all other citation categories except seat belts are way lower than the 128,000 speeding citations issued.

But theres this "Other" category that has over 140,000 citations. Wonder what the heck falls into that.........

sm8

Eh, sometimes you just can not win for losing. The other night I was coming thru Hollywood, 235 NB and I was in the Right lane (slow lane in my oppinion) and I had the cruise control on 58. There was no other traffic around until a car came flying up on me like I was sitting still. They started following really close and flashing their headlights. I guess they thought I should move over and let them by. I just ignored them until my 12 year old blurted out "MOM, I have a few strong words for them". I bumped it down 1 mph at a time until I got down to about 40 and they finally passed me.

bcp

In My Opinion
Eh, sometimes you just can not win for losing. The other night I was coming thru Hollywood, 235 NB and I was in the Right lane (slow lane in my oppinion) and I had the cruise control on 58. There was no other traffic around until a car came flying up on me like I was sitting still. They started following really close and flashing their headlights. I guess they thought I should move over and let them by. I just ignored them until my 12 year old blurted out "MOM, I have a few strong words for them". I bumped it down 1 mph at a time until I got down to about 40 and they finally passed me.

much nicer than I am. I am a big fan of engine braking.:killingme

SG_Player1974

Your sarcasmometer is broked I think.

Not sarcasm.... Just the truth.

One only needs to park in any one of the finer establishments on the NB side of 235 between Gate 1 and Route 4 to see the idiots riding up the right hand TURN ONLY LANE only to cut back in right before the next light.

Or my personal favorite, being unable to merge because SOMEONE held their ground... they simply make the right on Chancellor's Run and take the "short cut" to the Flooring America exit to skirt the traffic light too!

Always predictable and happens EVERY DAY without fail! :coffee:

Blister

Was today a furlough day? I just got home from work and can't imagine that so many people seemingly spent their entire workday posting about this nonsense. :popcorn:

bcp

In My Opinion
I thought you drove on the beltway, and had a better clue about "traffic physics" than this.

better than what? I hang in the second from the left and keep the cruise at 55

Not all the way to the left, but I dont like the farthest right and ass holes tend to hang in the second from the right and race up to the front of the off ramp past the waiting traffic to force themselves in. This causes the second from the right lane to constantly stop.
I dont shift over to the right until I get past RT1, then I have to deal with the idiots that think they can shoot up the off ramp to 95 but at the last minute they try to force back in front. I dont let them in, I force them to run the shoulder, that way they get to meet the nice officer that sits at the bottom waiting to talk to them.
He must be very friendly because he is always chatting with a commuter.

glhs837

Power with Control
Saw that, and posted about it. Any idea what makes up that "other" category? Warnings? Fix it tickets?

bachnersd

better than what? I hang in the second from the left and keep the cruise at 55

Not all the way to the left, but I dont like the farthest right and ass holes tend to hang in the second from the right and race up to the front of the off ramp past the waiting traffic to force themselves in. This causes the second from the right lane to constantly stop.
I dont shift over to the right until I get past RT1, then I have to deal with the idiots that think they can shoot up the off ramp to 95 but at the last minute they try to force back in front. I dont let them in, I force them to run the shoulder, that way they get to meet the nice officer that sits avt the bottom waiting to talk to them.
He must be very friendly because he is always chatting with a commuter.

Mr. BCP, if you don't mind me asking...how tall are you?