Blockers in left lane....have a ticket.

Should Maryland have a "Keep Right Law"

• Left lane for passing or turning left

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Keep right if going slower than traffic flow regardless of speed limit or when being overtaken

Votes: 46 48.4%
  • Keep right if going slower than speed limit

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • Mr. Magoo would be proud when he looks in the rear view mirror...

Votes: 9 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sockgirl77

I don't do any of that stuff either, like I said I am a courteous driver. It doesn't stop me from getting mad about slow people in the fast lane. I am not a major speeder either, I will do 60 or so in a 55 and when someone that wants to go faster gets behind me I pull over and let them by if it is safe to do so. Nowhere did I suggest that you should cut anyone off or do anything you are uncomfortable with. I am only saying if someone knows they are traveling a long way and they are only going to do the speed limit then it would be nice if they travel in the right lane unless they have to pass someone.

But, it's NOT a fast lane. Speeders have just chosen it to be. MD has not specified any lane as a law breaking speeding lane. :yay:

MMDad

Lem Putt
If someone was coming up to that door I was holding open, and they were demanding I held it open for them, they would certainly see how fast I could shut it before they got there.

But in person you can see the person and read if they are being an ass. If someone is on your ass you assume that they are "demanding" that you get out of their way, but you have no idea what they may be thinking. There are some seriously clueless people out there - they might not even realize that they are pissing you off. Life is so much nicer if you just assume that everyone isn't an ass until they show you that they are.

sockgirl77

It's only rude if it inconveniences someone else.

Well, it incoveniences me to get into the right lane. It incoveniences you to drive the speed limit or go around me. I'm the one following the traffic laws, so I do not feel obligated to be incovenienced.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Well, it incoveniences me to get into the right lane. It incoveniences you to drive the speed limit or go around me. I'm the one following the traffic laws, so I do not feel obligated to be incovenienced.

Inconvenience

(sorry, don't kill me) MILF

MMDad

Lem Putt

It's about courtesy. That's it. No, there is no requirement for you to get over, just as there is no law that says you must say please and thank you.

2lazy2P

nothing unreal exists
Having recently been in a car accident because of someone tailgating and speeding behind me, I don't have any sympathy for speeders. Until some of you are the victims of a car accident or lose a loved one, you will continue to think it is okay. We'll see how fast you change your tune then.

Someone could not tailgate and be speeding at the same time unless of course you were speeding first. You should change your tune and not speed. I don't have sympathy for speeders. :coffee:

sockgirl77

Inconvenience

(sorry, don't kill me)
I know that. I have no idea why I started spelling it wrong. :doh:
It's about courtesy. That's it. No, there is no requirement for you to get over, just as there is no law that says you must say please and thank you.

I think that people should be courteous to other drivers and drive the speed limit. :shrug:

bcp

In My Opinion
Why should any driver be trying to enforce the law on others when we have cops to do that?

You mean like those people demanding you pull to the right because the law says the left is for passing? (even though thats not the case in Maryland)

MMDad

Lem Putt
How is driving the speed limit trying to enforce the law on others?

It's the attitude. Saying that they shouldn't be speeding means that it isn't about the speed you are going, it becomes about people blocking others. Why is it so difficult to just be a little courteous and move over?

sockgirl77

It's the attitude. Saying that they shouldn't be speeding means that it isn't about the speed you are going, it becomes about people blocking others. Why is it so difficult to just be a little courteous and move over?

Because I'm not doing anything wrong. It's just as simple as that. I should not have to INCONVENIENCE myself to accomodate someone who is speeding. Feel free to INCONVENIENCE yourself and go around me. :yay:

bcp

In My Opinion

Do you know that the majority of accidents on the highway are caused by lane changing?
So you are asking someone to put themselves in a situation that could cause an accident.
the second cause is speeding, in the left lane. So, by not moving over I do two things.
reduce my chance of a lane change accident,
and slow someone down reducing their chance of a fatal accident.

Im just nice like that.

bilbur

But, it's NOT a fast lane. Speeders have just chosen it to be. MD has not specified any lane as a law breaking speeding lane. :yay:

MD is one of the few states that does not have this law and most of the ones I am talking about are breaking the law because once they drop below the speed limit they are impeding the flow of traffic.

sockgirl77

MD is one of the few states that does not have this law and most of the ones I am talking about are breaking the law because once they drop below the speed limit they are impeding the flow of traffic.

They are NOT breaking the law by going a few miles under the speed limit. And as I have stated before, I DGAFF what other states' laws are. I can't remember the last time that I've even driven out of state.

MMDad

Lem Putt
You mean like those people demanding you pull to the right because the law says the left is for passing? (even though thats not the case in Maryland)

Who is demanding that? I'm saying it is courtesy to do so. Of course there is no law requiring it, just as there is no law requiring you to wash your hands after you take a dump.

It is safer for slower traffic to move to the right. When merging after a left turn onto Rt. 4 I frequesntly get stuck behind a soccer mom who takes about 3 miles to get up to 50. Do I go around her to the right? Or is she going to? I wait, she doesn't go, so I go around on the right. What does she do? Suddenly decides to move to the right, of course without signalling.

MMDad

Lem Putt
So, by not moving over I do two things.

Who made you the enforcer, and why do we continue to pay taxes to support the state police?

bilbur

Do you know that the majority of accidents on the highway are caused by lane changing?
So you are asking someone to put themselves in a situation that could cause an accident.
the second cause is speeding, in the left lane. So, by not moving over I do two things.

Im just nice like that.

So you are trying to govern what other people do? I figured with your quote about gun control you would be the last one to want others saying what you can and can't do.

sockgirl77

Who is demanding that? I'm saying it is courtesy to do so. Of course there is no law requiring it, just as there is no law requiring you to wash your hands after you take a dump.

It is safer for slower traffic to move to the right. When merging after a left turn onto Rt. 4 I frequesntly get stuck behind a soccer mom who takes about 3 miles to get up to 50. Do I go around her to the right? Or is she going to? I wait, she doesn't go, so I go around on the right. What does she do? Suddenly decides to move to the right, of course without signalling.

:love:

bilbur

Well this debate has been fun but I am off to work. Everyone have a good day and drive safe (whatever that means to each of you).