Blockers in left lane....have a ticket.

Should Maryland have a "Keep Right Law"

• Left lane for passing or turning left

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Keep right if going slower than traffic flow regardless of speed limit or when being overtaken

Votes: 46 48.4%
  • Keep right if going slower than speed limit

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • Mr. Magoo would be proud when he looks in the rear view mirror...

Votes: 9 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DEEKAYPEE8569

Dee, I would bet that over %80 of all citations are for exceeding the speed limit. Judging by the stats released for things like Smooth Operator.

bcp? Who said anything about tailgating? Not me, I dont tailgate.

Well, let me correct something. I meant to say tickets for driving too slow.

bcp

In My Opinion
Oh that. I thought he was late because some slow pinhead kept him from putting out the fire and he had to clean his shorts.

Go ahead and laugh, but think about this, He pooed himself and now his last pair of clean shorts are all burned up.

That right there aint funny..

bcp

In My Opinion
Odd. According to NHTSA lane changing is only a factor in 2.1% of crashes. Do you have any data to back up your "facts?"

In fact, according to NHTSA most crashes happen turning or crossing intersections, followed by running off the road.

Distraction and inattention cause about 41% of crashes. Driving too fast for conditions or curves causes <10%. Tailgating causes 1%, and aggressive driving causes 1.4%. Misjudging "gap or others speed" would be the closest thing to lane changing, and causes 3.2% of crashes.

The study you are quoting takes all accidents into consideration, highway, country road, city etc...
What I quoted came from the insurance institute and was just related to highway. (I though we were talking highway here)
not too many intersections on the highway.
but then, since its mostly about Southern MD, maybe your study is more relevant to the conversation.
But it stands to reason that most accidents are not on the highway, but in more congested areas so the numbers are going to look seriously different between the two.

2lazy2P

nothing unreal exists
The study you are quoting takes all accidents into consideration, highway, country road, city etc...
What I quoted came from the insurance institute and was just related to highway. (I though we were talking highway here)
not too many intersections on the highway.
but then, since its mostly about Southern MD, maybe your study is more relevant to the conversation.
But it stands to reason that most accidents are not on the highway, but in more congested areas so the numbers are going to look seriously different between the two.

Ever heard of Route 4 on the Calvert County side?

bcp

In My Opinion
Ever heard of Route 4 on the Calvert County side?

I travel it once a week.
I dont really consider that a highway.
and I have to tell you, at the hour I drive it, there aint no way Im hanging right lane. People that drive that road are freaking idiots.

dave1959

This must be the Energizer Bunny thread....It keeps going and going and going...

Give it a rest people.. You will never agree...Just admit that the Left lane whores are just pinheads and get over it.:killingme:killingme:killingme

bcp

In My Opinion
This must be the Energizer Bunny thread....It keeps going and going and going...

Give it a rest people.. You will never agree...Just admit that the Left lane whores are just pinheads and get over it.:killingme:killingme:killingme

Just for that Im slowing down another 5mph:killingme

BOP

That's what I thought, so I'm curious what exactly she got ticketed for.

In California, it's considered to be impeding traffic. And yes, you can get a ticket, even if you are exceeding the speed limit, if you are keeping the flow of traffic from, well, flowing.

Been there, got one of those, learned my lesson.

Like the CHP explained to me, keeping traffic moving was more important to them (the cops) than worrying about more people than he could possibly ticket in a lifetime exceeding the speed limit by a few MPH. Besides, he said, the very fact that he was ticketing me was impeding traffic.

Once he put it that way, it made a lot more sense. It doesn't seem fair, but there is a reason. And the reason makes sense.

bcp

In My Opinion
In California, it's considered to be impeding traffic. And yes, you can get a ticket, even if you are exceeding the speed limit, if you are keeping the flow of traffic from, well, flowing.

Like the CHP explained to me, keeping traffic moving was more important to them (the cops) than worrying about more people than he could possibly ticket in a lifetime exceeding the speed limit by a few MPH. Besides, he said, the very fact that he was ticketing me was impeding traffic.

Once he put it that way, it made a lot more sense. It doesn't seem fair, but there is a reason. And the reason makes sense.

So did he tell you how fast you could go? like lets say you are lucky enough to be the first car in line. 80? 100?

2lazy2P

nothing unreal exists
I travel it once a week.
I dont really consider that a highway.
and I have to tell you, at the hour I drive it, there aint no way Im hanging right lane. People that drive that road are freaking idiots.

I travel from St. Mary's to D.C. every single day on it. And it does get crazy at times. I truly believe though it wouldn't be half as bad if the left lane was for "cruising" and the right lane for "pokeys." It seems to get insane when your cruisers are darting from lane to lane trying to pass the left lane vehicle that is driving door to door with the right lane unhurried. Yada yada yada, I hear ya - everybody should travel 55 miles an hour (when posted) because it’s THE LAW. Just IMO that Southern Maryland highway in particular would run much more smoothly if it were separated into a "Fast lane" and a "Slow lane." Would decrease a lot of aggressive driving which turns into reckless driving.

2lazy2P

nothing unreal exists

I would assume it would have to do with the fact that impeding traffic creates congestion. And in turn would make it that much more difficult for emergency vehicles to travel on roads that are highly congested. So they look at it more from a safety standpoint.