Blue Buffalo Dog Food

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
My picky eater and not so picky eater love Wellness. Per the link 4 stars. The picky one also has some food allergies and Wellness and Innova seem to be the only ones she does well on. Innova is also 4 stars.

foodforthought

A friend who is a trainer, breeder,and shows dogs gave me an insight to dog food. The key is to look at the ingredents list on the package. Just like human food it's listed in order of percentage of contents. In most dog foods the first ingredent is corn. Does your dog run out to the corn field and say "boy that ear of corn looks good"? Look for a brand that lists beef or chicken or lamb first. They're out there and they're not all premium brands like BB. I feed my Lab the BJ's brand.

Thanks! I didn't even know BJ's offered a holistic food, I used to buy the dog chow from BJ's but never payed attention to their brand, figured it was crap since it was store brand.....looking at its rating though- it got 4 stars, just as good as the expensive BLue Buffalo.
Im going to give it a try once I go threw this last 30LB bag of BB I bought last week for $50 bucks!!

PrepH4U

So what food can any of you suggest? Having big problems with BB...

I used to be a big fan of high quality grain free dog food. Now I honestly cannot recommend any of them. After my eight year girl was just diagnosed with lymphoma I think I am going to revert back and cook for them. Can you tell I am a little bitter?
I think whatever your dog seems to thrive on is the one you should feed them.

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
Any insight on this food???
Just switched my labs- my chocolate is over weight so switched them to the large breed healthy weight formula in hopes to get her down a few pounds. I did alot of research online about what food to pick, the girl at petco said this is one of the best, she feeds it to her dogs....but just looking for any insight anyone has on it. It's so expensive I want to make sure it is worth it for them. They were on Dog chow before, which I know is a horrible, cheap brand. We never had a problem with our first lab being overweight so I just kept him on the cheap stuff :(

I went from BB to Diamond Naturals for my Lab. BB was hurting my wallet too much, Diamond can be bought at Tractor Supply. A 40 Lb bag goes for 36.99. He is happy on it and there is not any corn, soy, or rice in the food. I has a 4 star rating on the site given in the thread. My boy had no issues making the transition from BB to Diamond.

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
I used to be a big fan of high quality grain free dog food. Now I honestly cannot recommend any of them. After my eight year girl was just diagnosed with lymphoma I think I am going to revert back and cook for them. Can you tell I am a little bitter?

When making their food, what do you use as your primary ingredient for protein?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
We adopted a new fart machine, and I have to wonder if it's her diet. It's definitely not very lady like,.

frequentflier

happy to be living

So sorry to hear this. :huggy:
I know nothing about lymphoma. Did the vet say the cause of it was from diet?

PrepH4U

When making their food, what do you use as your primary ingredient for protein?

I have a heavy duty meat grinder and would usually grind up whole chickens and turkey. Once a week they would get a ground beef of some sort with organ meat. I would also cook them up eggs, saved the egg shells and would bake them and then shells also would go into the ground meat mixture.

PrepH4U

So sorry to hear this. :huggy:
I know nothing about lymphoma. Did the vet say the cause of it was from diet?

Thanks MB :bawl: No lymphoma is not caused directly from the diet I don't think. No one can tell me exactly what causes it, there are a lot of guesses from diet to chemicals in the house. :shrug: We have anywhere from a week to a month left with her. So she will eat like a queen! :lol:

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
I have a heavy duty meat grinder and would usually grind up whole chickens and turkey. Once a week they would get a ground beef of some sort with organ meat. I would also cook them up eggs, saved the egg shells and would bake them and then shells also would go into the ground meat mixture.

That sounds like a wood chipper for the kitchen. When I was making my dogs food I was going through a lot of what ever I could find on sale - fish, chicken, turkey, beef, pork and an occasional bit of venison when in season.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Apollo likes Taste of the Wild High Prairie flavor, which is buffalo and venison. I think it sounds disgusting, but he likes it so whatever. Occasionally I cook for him, but I have this idea that dry chow helps keep his teeth cleaned. Probably from all those Milk Bone commercials I saw growing up.

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
Apollo likes Taste of the Wild High Prairie flavor, which is buffalo and venison. I think it sounds disgusting, but he likes it so whatever. Occasionally I cook for him, but I have this idea that dry chow helps keep his teeth cleaned. Probably from all those Milk Bone commercials I saw growing up.

It can help, along with other chew toys and bones. I have toys everywhere, I dehydrate sweet potatoes for their treats.

PrepH4U

That sounds like a wood chipper for the kitchen. When I was making my dogs food I was going through a lot of what ever I could find on sale - fish, chicken, turkey, beef, pork and an occasional bit of venison when in season.

venison and rabbit are great for them also. When I did cook for them the sales also determined what they got mainly for protein. :lol: They loved loved the veggies I gave them and cottage cheese. I have some weird dogs! They actually drool when I am cleaning carrots! :lol:

PrepH4U

TOTW food is really a good food and my dogs loved it.

It can help, along with other chew toys and bones. I have toys everywhere, I dehydrate sweet potatoes for their treats.

Sweet potatoes are the bomb dehydrated. I am just realizing how much I have gotten away from all of the good stuff for them. Gosh I hate cooking for ourselves but don't mind as much for them. :looney:

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
That's a good idea! I'll bet Apollo would like that and it happens that I have a couple sweet taters in the pantry right now....

I seen them advertised in a Dr Fosters & Smith catalog for 6.95 for 6 ounces, so I went to the farmer that sells them on the side of 235 just south of the 6 intersection and buy them buy the bushel for $18-20. The only extra that I add to the slices is Vitamin C, a safe preservative. The slices sit in a bath for 5 min before putting them on the racks to dehydrate them. The dogs love them!

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
Sweet potatoes are the bomb dehydrated. I am just realizing how much I have gotten away from all of the good stuff for them. Gosh I hate cooking for ourselves but don't mind as much for them. :looney:[/QUOTE]

I agree, its a labor of love to cook for them. For me I am just lazy. Have you ever tried kale chips for the dogs? I know that kale is safe and nutritious and it is fairly cheap and abundant.