Blue Buffalo Dog Food

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
That's a good idea! I'll bet Apollo would like that and it happens that I have a couple sweet taters in the pantry right now....

BTW, I forgot to mention the potatoes are high in fiber so it helps the dogs in other departments. Do not worry if you notice orange eliminations for Apollo. It freaked me out the first time that I noticed until the light bulb came on that is was just the potatoes passing.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Thanks MB :bawl: No lymphoma is not caused directly from the diet I don't think. No one can tell me exactly what causes it, there are a lot of guesses from diet to chemicals in the house. :shrug: We have anywhere from a week to a month left with her. So she will eat like a queen! :lol:

Oh My God, I am so sorry...

frequentflier

happy to be living
BTW, I forgot to mention the potatoes are high in fiber so it helps the dogs in other departments. Do not worry if you notice orange eliminations for Apollo. It freaked me out the first time that I noticed until the light bulb came on that is was just the potatoes passing.

We sell a lot of treats and canned foods w/ sweet potatoes and pumpkin. It never occured to me to warn people what their yard will look like!
Orange veggies have a lot of fiber and are good for dogs w/ constipation and/or diarreah (sp) issues.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I agree, its a labor of love to cook for them. For me I am just lazy. Have you ever tried kale chips for the dogs? I know that kale is safe and nutritious and it is fairly cheap and abundant.

My dog loves kale chips, but he loves pretty much everything. :lol: He also really likes carrots and apple slices.

Roman

My Dog's favorite food this week is made by Beaverdam. It's grain free. When I run out of a bag, I'll also get her Acana. I like to switch, because I can't imagine eating the same thing every day. The Beaverdam is also Gluten-Free, which is good for dogs with allergies. No artificial colors, which I think in time, can cause certain cancers. Even though Beaverdam contains the Omega 3 & 6, and vitamin E, I still add Salmon Oil, and NuPro to her food daily. Store Brand foods are full of fattening ingredients, that I equate to letting a Child live off of Junk-Food. These foods can be purchased at Pepper's Pet Pantry. I feel good about any of the food they carry.

MMM_donuts

I feed mine Merrick. It's got high ratis and is an old, reputable American company. Unfortunately, I don't think the dogs love the dry food. It has a few white kibbles that the dogs pick out and leave on the floor for us to step on or the cats to eat later.

I get anxiety when I research dog food. One website will rate a food well, then a other will slam it. Then there are recalls, big companies that bought out the formerly reputable smaller companies, grain-free, raw food, wet or dry, by-products, etc.

And after all that effort my husband shows me that the oldest Pom will eat Chees Whiz straight from the spray can :cds:

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
My dog loves kale chips, but he loves pretty much everything. :lol: He also really likes carrots and apple slices.

Do you make your own kale chips? My dogs will eat most of the things that I have given them (some with more excitement than others), my lab will even eat even kohlrabi.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I feed mine Merrick. It's got high ratis and is an old, reputable American company. Unfortunately, I don't think the dogs love the dry food. It has a few white kibbles that the dogs pick out and leave on the floor for us to step on or the cats to eat later.
We feed Merrick too, and have for most of our dog's 6 years (our cat also eats Merrick). He likes it, but he's not known for being picky. :lol: The little colored bits are dehydrated fruits and veggies, so maybe your dogs just don't like whichever one the white ones are. :lol:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Do you make your own kale chips? My dogs will eat most of the things that I have given them (some with more excitement than others), my lab will even eat even kohlrabi.
Yep. A thing of kale from the grocery store is usually less than a dollar, and I'm sure store bought kale chips would be really pricy.

ETA: I don't make kale chips solely for my dog. I make them for my family and just give him a couple.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And after all that effort my husband shows me that the oldest Pom will eat Chees Whiz straight from the spray can :cds:

A dog after my own heart :yay:

Today I'm making beef stew with roasted root vegetables - carrots, sweet potato, turnips, parsnips, celery. So I set aside some of the roasted veggies, then sauteed some of the beef in olive oil, and chopped it all up for Apollo's dinner for the next couple of nights. He snarfed up the bit I gave him when it was done and didn't once say, "Ew! What's this???" Cooking for dogs is much more pleasurable and a lot easier than cooking for children ever was.

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
Yep. A thing of kale from the grocery store is usually less than a dollar, and I'm sure store bought kale chips would be really pricy.

ETA: I don't make kale chips solely for my dog. I make them for my family and just give him a couple.

I have never eaten them myself, but as I have gone through making cookies and other things for my dogs I have adopted that if I won't eat it neither will they. How do you make your kale chips? Oven or dehydrator? What seasonings if any do you use? I started out with a Lab that gets constant hot spots, so I started making food and treats for them. I had a deployment come up and I could not ask anyone that I know to make all of my dogs meals. So he went back to a store bought food but all of their treats are homemade. I like the fact that I know that the trreats are healthy and not just some flavored empty calories.

Last edited:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I have never eaten them myself, but as I have gone through making cookies and other things for my dogs I have adopted that if I won't eat it neither will they. How do you make your kale chips? Oven or dehydrator? What seasonings if any do you use? I started out with a Lab that gets constant hot spots, so I started making food and treats for them. I had a deployment come up and I could not ask anyone that I know to make all of my dogs meals. So he went back to a store bought food but all of their treats are homemade. I like the fact that I know that the trreats are healthy and not just some flavored empty calories.
I do them in the oven, following these rough instructions:

1.Preheat oven to about 375
2. Use about 1 salad spinner’s worth of kale (usually about 1/2 of a bunch that you'd get at the grocery store). Tear the leaves off the thick stems into bite size pieces. Spread out on cookie sheet(s).
3. Drizzle with about 2 tsp of olive oil
4. Sprinkle with Parmesan, Asiago or your seasonings of choice. Plus a sprinkle of kosher salt.
5. Bake for about 15 minutes, until edges are brown and kale is crispy when moved in pan.

I usually season with Tony Chachere's and only give the dog pieces that don't have much if any seasoning on them. But let's be honest, he likes to eat snotty tissues so a little cajun seasoning isn't going to hurt. :lmao: If you do it right, they sort of have the crunch/feel of pringles - a lot lighter than you would expect from such a hearty green. They really are good.

FoFVolunteer

I Highly recommend Wellness Core. its a 5 star food, and i personally use it for my dogs (and the feline version of core for my cats). Both love it, plus its wonderful if your pets allergic to grain like mine bc core is grain free. It is a bit pricey but absolutely worth it.

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
I do them in the oven, following these rough instructions:

1.Preheat oven to about 375
2. Use about 1 salad spinner’s worth of kale (usually about 1/2 of a bunch that you'd get at the grocery store). Tear the leaves off the thick stems into bite size pieces. Spread out on cookie sheet(s).
3. Drizzle with about 2 tsp of olive oil
4. Sprinkle with Parmesan, Asiago or your seasonings of choice. Plus a sprinkle of kosher salt.
5. Bake for about 15 minutes, until edges are brown and kale is crispy when moved in pan.

I usually season with Tony Chachere's and only give the dog pieces that don't have much if any seasoning on them. But let's be honest, he likes to eat snotty tissues so a little cajun seasoning isn't going to hurt. :lmao: If you do it right, they sort of have the crunch/feel of pringles - a lot lighter than you would expect from such a hearty green. They really are good.

Thanks for the recipe! I will be trying it out soon, sounds tasty. Ever put Old bay on them? At least my Rottie mix only eats up whole rolls of TP instead of used tissues!

PrepH4U

My Dog's favorite food this week is made by Beaverdam. It's grain free. When I run out of a bag, I'll also get her Acana. I like to switch, because I can't imagine eating the same thing every day. The Beaverdam is also Gluten-Free, which is good for dogs with allergies. No artificial colors, which I think in time, can cause certain cancers. Even though Beaverdam contains the Omega 3 & 6, and vitamin E, I still add Salmon Oil, and NuPro to her food daily. Store Brand foods are full of fattening ingredients, that I equate to letting a Child live off of Junk-Food. These foods can be purchased at Pepper's Pet Pantry. I feel good about any of the food they carry.

Yep they carry a great variety of healthy foods for our fur kids. They also carry some organic raw food for those that want to do that.
I am excited about the kale recipe... thanks Nickel!

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Thanks for the recipe! I will be trying it out soon, sounds tasty. Ever put Old bay on them? At least my Rottie mix only eats up whole rolls of TP instead of used tissues!
I haven't but I bet they would be delicious! Kind of like those Utz Crab Chips.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Thanks MB :bawl: No lymphoma is not caused directly from the diet I don't think. No one can tell me exactly what causes it, there are a lot of guesses from diet to chemicals in the house. :shrug: We have anywhere from a week to a month left with her. So she will eat like a queen! :lol:

:huggy: We recently lost a beagle to Lymphoma that was on Flint River Ranch primarily the last 4 years of his 12 year life.

I feed the dogs Taste of the Wild, and the cats too.