Boat Barnacles

river rat

BUCKING GOAT
We just pulled Dems boat outta of the water and had it repaired.

It has the usual crud on the bottom.

Can anyone recommend something "safe" to remove them?
I know some of you "salty" SoMd'ers have your tricks.

Nothing harsh please. I really don't want to kill the poseys or the cats.

putty knife and a sander

:yeahthat: It's best to get it as soon as it comes out of the water. Once it starts to dry, it's much tougher to get off.

If it's still wet, use a pressure washer to blow the loose stuff off (not too hard tho), then hand scrape the barnacles and stuff.

river rat

BUCKING GOAT
Thanks.

It has bottom paint.
Some one else said pressure washer.

I kinda figured a putty knife would be thrown in somewhere.

Got it :yay: So....you know what I'll be doin' Sat. :rolleyes:

Dead Eye

T.P.F.er
Pressure washer and scraper. Is it wood or fiberglass? Easy on the pressure if wood. Best to pressure wash as soon as pulled. If it drys overnight then you have tripled the work required to clean it. I have heard of people using vinager to soften the base whem worryed about pulling off gellcoat. lots of soaking and mostly a waist of vinager and time.

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
Pressure washer and scraper. Is it wood or fiberglass? Easy on the pressure if wood. Best to pressure wash as soon as pulled. If it drys overnight then you have tripled the work required to clean it. I have heard of people using vinager to soften the base whem worryed about pulling off gellcoat. lots of soaking and mostly a waist of vinager and time.

And the prop needs a good scrubbing as well if you want to go anywhere!

too much work. Which is why we keep ours trailered.

Thanks.

It has bottom paint.

Wait... isn't it Dem's boat?? :confused: How did you get elected for this?

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Thanks.

It has bottom paint.

Work, Work, Work all the day long.

Remember most barnacles start in the spring.

BEADELDOG

Thanks.

It has bottom paint.

I hope you are at least getting some crabs out of the deal :yahoo: Do you get to have the fun of baiting the trot line??

Thanks.

It has bottom paint.

Do you have a pressure washer? If not, I have a gas powered one I can loan you.

bigtw34

A friend of mine owns a Linex buisness in Prince Fredrick, and he was telling me that he can spray the bottom of boats with Linex and then nothing can stick to it. It makes it a breeze to clean and will also strengthin the hule of the boat. And with the different colors they have in Linex they can match it to your boat. Now i dont know much it cost, but that stuff last forever so i might be something to look into.

A friend of mine owns a Linex buisness in Prince Fredrick, and he was telling me that he can spray the bottom of boats with Linex and then nothing can stick to it. It makes it a breeze to clean and will also strengthin the hule of the boat. And with the different colors they have in Linex they can match it to your boat. Now i dont know much it cost, but that stuff last forever so i might be something to look into.

If it's anything like the LineX in my truck, it's WAY too rough to be used on a boat bottom. It would create tremendous drag, and actually increase the rate of growth on the boat bottom due to the indents and crevasses.

tipsymcgee

Not only rough and crevices, but I wonder how much a coat weighs? Has to weigh something more than paint. Not sure if that would affect things.

LordStanley

I know nothing

:bs:

Not only does your friend not have a boat, but has no idea of how antifowling paints works on the hulls.....

Linex would be too heavy and create too much drag. Barnicles would have no problems growing on that stuff. In fact it would make it easier!!!

LordStanley

I know nothing
If it's anything like the LineX in my truck, it's WAY too rough to be used on a boat bottom. It would create tremendous drag, and actually increase the rate of growth on the boat bottom due to the indents and crevasses.

yeah, what he said :yeahthat:

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
Thanks.

It has bottom paint.

Thats the way its done.

If it has bottom paint the banricals ay wash off with a pressure washer.

I will be down that way(in ridge) doing Top sides on a friends boat Saturday.