Bob Evans To Open

pilot

Dum_Blonde:

I appreciate your comments w.r.t. Friendly's. We were sorry to see it go--you're right, now we have nowhere to go to get good ice cream. Even the Perkins is gone. Don't people appreciate good ice cream any more? What's the world coming to?

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Nodnarb
Aren't these all just about the same place with a different paint job? Perkins/Friendly's/Bob Evans/Cracker Barrell/IHOP are pretty much out of the same mold... It comes down to the employees who make it or break it.

I have to disagree.. Perkins was just nasty.. Friendly's specialized in Ice cream and had decent breakfast (from what I am told) but lunch and dinners were nasty. Never been to Bob Evans so no comment. Cracker Barrell has more of what I call "Down home" cooking for all meals.. Kinda of place where you leave with extra 10 lbs or so hanging from your gut.. good stuff. IHOP has good breakfast, but more "cookie cutter" type things than Cracker Barrell. The lunch and dinner menus at IHOP really blew.

Plus the cracker barrell is also a neat shopping experience :smile:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by pilot
Dum_Blonde:

I appreciate your comments w.r.t. Friendly's. We were sorry to see it go--you're right, now we have nowhere to go to get good ice cream. Even the Perkins is gone. Don't people appreciate good ice cream any more? What's the world coming to?

Actually, there's a nice little ice cream parlor in Leonardtown. The Carousel, which is right next to the old movie theater/Nook-n-Monks. And then there's always Bert's if you want to drive to Mechanicsville. If you just want dessert, Outback and Ruby's, etc, all have a nice dessert menu. So, our sweet tooth won't be starved just because Friendly's couldn't make it.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by SmallTown
I have to disagree.. Perkins was just nasty..

Perkins was fine, for years. There are people here more qualified to comment on Perkins, than I. But I dined there for years and it was a good place to get a reasonably priced meal. Recent history is Perkins downfall. My take would be the inability to hire and retain qualified staff thanks to the below-2% unemployment rate that worked on a number of small employers in SMC in 1999/2000, and that created a situation that they were unable to recover from.

SmallTown

Football season!
Perkins was fine, for years. There are people here more qualified to comment on Perkins, than I. But I dined there for years and it was a good place to get a reasonably priced meal. Recent history is Perkins downfall. My take would be the inability to hire and retain qualified staff thanks to the below-2% unemployment rate that worked on a number of small employers in SMC in 1999/2000, and that created a situation that they were unable to recover from.

I can understand that with the servers, but as for the people preparing the food.. Seems other places have been able to maintain good taste even during this exployee crunch.

But yea, I can only speak from recent history about the place.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by Tonio
What's your opinion of Cracker Barrel? Would you like to see one in St. Mary's?
Heck yes. I've been to a few of them - one in upstate NY(Saratoga area), and one over by Barboursville, Va. Also, we've been to the Bob Evans in Pr. Fred.
a bunch of times and never had one complaint.

penncam

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Aren't these all just about the same place with a different paint job? Perkins/Friendly's/Bob Evans/Cracker Barrell/IHOP are pretty much out of the same mold... It comes down to the employees who make it or break it.

I may be stepping on Chuckster's toes with this reply, but each successful chain has its own identity. Cracker Barrel is the "down home" chain. Friendly's has the 50,000-calorie sundaes. IHOP's is obvious.

It's why Wal-Mart and Target are doing well while K-mart is suffering, because K-mart has no distinguishing features other than Martha. (How about Martha Mart?)

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Tonio
K-mart has no distinguishing features other than Martha. (How about Martha Mart?)

Oh, like Martha is an image they want to portray now! :lol:

I think K-Mart is trying to distance itself from its former golden girl and appeal to a younger crowd. Have you seen the Joe Boxer ads? I think they've given up trying to compete with Wal*Mart and are going after Target.

yakky doodle

My Tipping Schedule

When I dine out, the waiter or waitress starts on an even playing field of 15%. After that, it's a math game. If they do something above and beyond, or are routinely quick with drink refills, I'll slide them up the tip scale. If they let my drink go empty for more than a minute or two, they lose points. If they bring water right off the bat (practically unheard of nowadays), I add 5%. If they let my cup go empty, and like 10 minutes goes by, and they come rushing back to my table smelling like cigarette smoke, I knock 'em down 5 or 10% (depending on how much time it took). If I have to summons another waiter/waitress for anything, they lose points.

This scale of earning/losing points, in my opinion, most honestly, and financially rewards them for their "service" whether good or bad. Too many people just toss a $5 or $10 on the table for a meal when maybe it should be nada or $20. :ohwell:

chuckster

IMFUBARED
Re: Hey Dum_Blonde

Originally posted by kwillia

1) Receipts are tied in to a specific server and no matter the size of the tip that is left, the total for that meal is reported to the IRS and the IRS assumes a minimum percentage as tip and the server is taxed for that amount regardless.

Not the way it works. Each server is responsible for reporting their tips to the place where they work. The are required by law to report 100% of what they put in their pockets as tips. Most don't and only report maybe 10% of what they make. The restaurant reports its sales at tax time and the tips reported by the servers. This has to equal at least 8%-10% of the toal sales of the restaurant for that year. If not, all the servers will be allocated tips to make up the difference

2) The server makes well below minimum wage per hour... the business assumes the difference will be made up in tips.

Servers make $2.38 per hour and the rest is made up by tips. Now keep in mind that a good server at say IHOP can make $150.00 in tips during her 8 hour shift. Add to that the $2.38/hr($19.04) and you get $169.04 or $21.13/hour. That is well above minimum wage. Where the server beats the system is that she might only report $75.00 as tips and THAT is what she is taxed on. How would like to pay tax on only 50% of what you make?
Also most servers do not report what they make off credit cards. This is where the IRS catches them.

3) A lot of people still think 10% is the normal minimum for good service. The true norm is 15% and should work it's way up from there if the service is exceptional.

15% is the norm but most people will tip higher if the service is good

Being a server is hard work but the rewards are great if you can do it right. It's not hard for a good server to take home a great deal of money

Last edited:

dum_blonde

re: Bob Evans

>Not the way it works. Each server is responsible for reporting >their tips to the place where they work. The are required by law >to report 100% of what they put in their pockets as tips. Most >don't and only report maybe 10% of what they make. The >restaurant reports its sales at tax time and the tips reported by >the servers. This has to equal at least 8%-10% of the toal sales >of the restaurant for that year. If not, all the servers will be >allocated tips to make up the difference.

Not the way it works everytime. Where I worked, anyway, the computer system made it so 15% of my sales were reported as tips, no matter what I got. And I am a million percent positive we didn't get reimbursed by allocated tips for low tippage.

chuckster

IMFUBARED
Re: re: Bob Evans

Originally posted by dum_blonde
>Not the way it works everytime. Where I worked, anyway, the computer system made it so 15% of my sales were reported as tips, no matter what I got. And I am a million percent positive we didn't get reimbursed by allocated tips for low tippage.

Sorry about the other post.
What the restaurant did for you was to cover their butt with the IRS.
And you wouldn't get reimbursed by allocated tips. That means that the restaurant could take more out of all the servers paychecks to make up for the shortage of reported tips.
The IRS law states that servers MUST report 100% of the tips they collect and keep daily records of them.

Last edited:
D

Dribbles

Re: Re: re: Bob Evans

Originally posted by chuckster

The IRS law states that servers MUST report 100% of the tips they collect and keep daily records of them.

We also have a lot of other laws that are not obeyed. :rolleyes: