boo to religion

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Re: Re: Re: Re: boo to religion

Originally posted by tlatchaw
Why do you feel that Tim LaHaye is anti-semitic?

I didn't say that LaHaye himself is anti-Semitic. I said he peddles anti-Semitism disguised as piety. Ever try reading his Left Behind books? Lots of anti-Semitic stereotypes, like the financiers meeting in secret. And there are the vignettes of former Jewish characters recounting their conversions to Christianity, in the tone of "What was I thinking, being Jewish?"

Toxick

Splat
Originally posted by Tonio
And there are the vignettes of former Jewish characters recounting their conversions to Christianity, in the tone of "What was I thinking, being Jewish?"

Jewish conversion is a major part of eschatology.

It is not thinly veiled anti-semetism, or a cut at jews in any way whatsoever. There are prophecies out the wazoo in both testaments of the bible where jews convert en-masse to christianity.

They're just following the pattern. In fact, they'd be remiss in their translation of the eschaton if they didn't do this.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Re: Re: boo to religion

Originally posted by Toxick
It is not thinly veiled anti-semetism, or a cut at jews in any way whatsoever.

I can appreciate that, but as I said, the conversion vignettes in Left Behind seem to have a mocking tone. In past centuries, some Christians justified their persecution of Jews by claiming that they deserved it for not converting en masse.

Plus, I find eschatology very creepy. (This from someone who read the Omen books when I was a teenager.) I feel like some fundamentalists actually want Armageddon, to the point of cheering for the pestilence.

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
Yay Pestilence! Oh, wait a minute, Booo to pestilence, it's the root of all evil!:biggrin:

Now as I continue reading the Left Behind series I'll watch for the mocking tone, although I really didn't notice it the first time through. I did notice a none-too-gentle reproof of the Catholic church through the first few books. Seems that his point was that religion and religious dogma were messing up people's faith.

Hmmmm, maybe BuddyLee is Tim LaHaye?

(sorry, I guess I'm feeling a little silly today!):blushing:

Toxick

Splat
Re: Re: Re: boo to religion

I can appreciate that, but as I said, the conversion vignettes in Left Behind seem to have a mocking tone.

Yeah, I guess you have a point there. I don't think that the tone is reserved for the jews in the book though. In fact, I think the entire series has a very self-righteous, and pompous tone.

It is my one major turn-off on that series.

That and the characters are two-dimensional cardboard cutouts, and they kill off every character as soon as you begin to give a rat's as's about them.

Plus, I find eschatology very creepy. (This from someone who read the Omen books when I was a teenager.) I feel like some fundamentalists actually want Armageddon, to the point of cheering for the pestilence.

I find escatology very interesting - however, I pray that the apocolypse comes after I am long dead - and my children - because I realize that it is gonna get some kind of ugly before the happy ending - and I don't subscribe to the pre-revelation rapture theory like they do in the left behind books. But I know there are people who want it to come. I've read the rantings of some people - especially on usenet where kooks seem to be drawn like flies to feces - who pray for the end of the world to come soon.

In the great tradition of "be careful of what you wish for", I don't believe these people really know what it is they're praying for - or they wouldn't be praying for it.

BuddyLee

Football addict
i am not Tim LaHaye

i am not Tim LaHaye i am the devil himself lol :burning: lets see how many church goers get mad at me now lol.

now dont go saying that im a devil worshiper im far from that lol. i am just split right now in what i believe. i just like to question alot of things. like for instance how do we know there is a god. after all of these years the answer is the same. JUST HAVE FAITH. how do we know that its not bullcrap? im sure some churchgoer will make the next post and tell everyone to have faith AGAIN and thats all they can do they have no PROOF. no one does. i am not saying there is not a god but i just like to question that. as far as the end of the world goes......wheres the proof in that besides the ever changing bible? if the world was going to end it would have ended along time ago. many many bad things have gone wrong with crusades, wars, terrorist attacks, and so on. go ahead and call me a hypocrite but im not to sure what to believe in and ill keep on questioning until something smacks me in the face. lol.

as far as taxes go....shut the hell up you fools!! this is a democracy~~~~~you elected the people to represent your ass and make the laws. like it or lump it!! however we should take out the income tax lol.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Dear Satan...

...I ask again, what do YOU believe in?

Yourself?

Any human being? Someone your hero?

A spouse?

A God of some type?

Money?

Human spirit?

Forums?

What is your decision making code based on and where does it draw its authority over YOU?

Well?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by BuddyLee
how do we know there is a god
You don't. You either feel it or you don't. Either believe or you don't. That's why it's called "faith" - because it's not a tangible that you can see or feel in the traditional sense.

You should go to one of those churches that get away from literal Biblical teachings and go more toward the intent of religion and the Bible. I can't think of a denomination right now but someone else will know. They don't take Revelation, for example, in a literal sense - they lean more toward the imagery and a more philosophical translation.

Also, they take stories in the Bible and help make sense of them. For example, did God really ruin Job's life because he was having a pizzing contest with Satan? Or it the story just a metaphor for keeping the faith against all odds?

Pretty interesting stuff and makes more sense to me than literal interpretations.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Pretty interesting stuff and makes more sense to me than literal interpretations.

I agree! I've never believed that the Bible can be interpreted literally, mostly for technical reasons. Languages change and evolve over time, plus errors creep into the translation. Also, each language carries with it a boatload of cultural assumptions that may take a paragraph or two to translate. German is notorious for that.

I like your description of the Job story as a metaphor. I see Adam and Eve as a metaphor for the evolution of the human race. Before humans developed sentience, they had no capacity for moral choice and no knowledge of death. So when sentience set in, it must have seemed like humans were expelled from paradise. The price that humans pay for large brains is that we know we're going to die someday, and we face difficult moral choices. Animals don't have moral choice. (I picture a wolf saying, "Gee, would it be wrong to kill and eat that baby deer? Should I eat only the old and sick prey?")

For Buddy, I don't know offhand which denominations stay away from literal interpretations. I went to a Unitarian church for a while and found it intellectually as well as spiritually stimulating.

Toxick

Splat
Re: i am not Tim LaHaye

i am just split right now in what i believe. i just like to question alot of things. like for instance how do we know there is a god.

Nothing wrong with questioning things. I'll never say there is. No real christian would. Jesus said that the greatest commandment was to love God with all your heart, all your soul and all your mind. I believe that inclusion of the mind in this is key. God gave us a brain and I'm fairly sure that he meant us to use it.

"Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord."

Almost all religions place their entire claim to fame on what someone tells you. Islam is based on what the Angel Gabriel told Mohammad. Mormonism is based on what the angel "Moroni" told Joseph Smith. Whether these people did or did not have conversations with angels is up to the listener - nobody can prove that they did, the same as noone can prove that Siddhartha Guatama (Hindu) achieved nirvana, or if Nanak (Sikhism) visited heaven. Nobody can prove that J.Z. Knight is channeling Ramtha or if she's putting on an act. Unless there's some sort of evidence, everything else they said stands or falls on it's own merit.

I believe that Christianity is different, because there is evidence. Which I'll address below.

Don't roll your eyes at me. :wink:

after all of these years the answer is the same. JUST HAVE FAITH. how do we know that its not bullcrap? im sure some churchgoer will make the next post and tell everyone to have faith AGAIN and thats all they can do they have no PROOF. no one does.

I won't tell you that.

What I'm about to say isn't PROOF - but I think there's enough evidence to make Christianity seem a little less distasteful for you.

Somebody get my soapbox - I feel a lecture coming on :biggrin:

This is long, and probably going to be boring as hell - but you ask for something other than JUST HAVE FAITH, and you're in luck. I have more than blind faith for you...

The basis of Christianity is not what an angel told someone. It's not based on anything except who Jesus was, and what he did to show it. Specifically, he was the Jewish Messiah, and he rose from the dead to show it. I believe that everything Jesus said stands or falls on those two things. Since Day One, belief in Jesus's ressurection has formed the core of Christian teaching.

What clinches it for me is that Jesus' followers weren't telling people what happened in some heavenly realm, or astral plane. There were telling about things that happened, right there in their hometown. If Jesus's resurrection had not happened, if the body were not in fact missing from his grave, then all anyone had to do to disprove it and discredit the apostles was to simply go to the tomb. All that the Jewish or Roman authorities had to do to smash the growth of Christianty before it even got started was to produce a body. And since there was no body, all they could do to try and stop it was to persecute and eventually kill its leaders.

Yeah - I know - the apostles could have removed the body. But the tomb was guarded by Roman soldiers. And even if they had removed the body, would they have willingly been tortured or martyerd for something they would have known was not true? These people were not zealots who died because of what someone told them, or because of a religious experience or whatever. Every religion has those. These were men - fishermen, carpenters, rabbis - who, if the resurrection was a hoax would have known it was a hoax. And yet, they chose to die rather than change what they said about seeing Jesus resurrected from the dead. Some people may be willing to die for what they believe - but nobody gives up their own life for what he knows is a lie.

I believe that.

And the entire Old Testament is a list of prophecies to the coming of the Messiah - and Jesus fills every single prophecy in full (I can list the major ones for you if you like, there are prophcies from Isaiah, Zechariah, Daniel, Jeremiah, Micah, etc. That predicts his coming to Jerusalem, his birth, death, and resurrection). And of course, we know that the Old Testament was completed in full 400 years before Jesus was born.

That is a pretty neat trick

i am not saying there is not a god but i just like to question that. as far as the end of the world goes......wheres the proof in that besides the ever changing bible?

The oldest manuscripts of ancient writers like Aristotle, Plato, Herodotus (among other) amounts to a small number of copies that were made a thousand years or more after the originals were written. There are no more then ten manuscripts of Julius Caesar's Gallic Wars, and the oldest copy of that was written over 900 years later than the original. Scholars accept these documents as adequate reprentations of the originals.

Why not the bible?

The earliest portions of The New Testament date to within just 25 years of the originals. Some nearly complete books of the new testament date to within one century or less from the originals. And we're not even talking about a handful of copies that can be compared with one another to determine accuracy or consistance. There are nearly 25,000 complete manuscripts of the New Testament, with more than 15,000 that date to before the 7th Century A.D. (or C.E. if you prefer). These include 5,300 copies in the original Greek, over 10,000 in Latin Vulgate, 4,100 Slavic tranlations, 2,000 Ethiopian thranslations and about 1,000 other early translations.

Further, in the first centuries after Christ, thousands of letters, and other documents were written in which people quoted from other documents that would later be assembled into what was to become the New Testament.. These quotes are so extensive that even if there wasn't a single bible in existence, you could go back to those letters and documents and using only those written within 250 years after the death of Christ, you could find every word of the New Testament, with the exception of 11 verses.

There are small differences in all those manuscripts - however, all these differences, most are a matter of spelling or word order changes that were made as the styles changed over the ages. In fact a total of only about 200 words, or 1/10 of 1 percent of the entire new testament are subject to more than trivial differences. And there no single doctrine of Christiantiy in all it's denominations througout history depend on a piece of disputed text.

As for the Old Testament, the discovey of the Dead Sea Scrolls show that in over 2,000 years those who copied the Old testament were so meticulous that no significant changes were made to the texts. The Dead Sea Scrolls represetn a major library of over 800 total documents dating between 250 B.C.(E.) to 68 A.D (C.E.) Every book of the Old Testament is included except for some minor prophets, and Esther.

You can take that for what it's worth, but I see no reason to argue that the bible has changed a zillion times, or that it is subject to so much red-penciling through the centuries.

if the world was going to end it would have ended along time ago.

Nonsense.

If man were going to go to Mars, he would have done so a long time ago.
If we were going to cure the common cold, we would have cured it a long time ago.
if the sun were going to go supernova, it would have done so a long time ago.

Now after all what I've said today, I realize that there is still room for doubt, and there's plenty of wiggle room for debating - which is why philosophers yammer and scream at each other to this day. But you asked for evidence, and I find the evidence compelling - although I'm fairly certain it's not going to change your mind, I hope it gives you something to think about.

Oh - and I have citations and references to all that stuff up there if you think I'm just blowing hot air.

Bertha Venation

Bishop Robinson

Originally posted by penncam
:frown: I know we've talked about this in a prior thread, but this isn't doing Religion any good either:http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/7167928.htm

Consecrating Bishop Robinson as an Episcopal Clergyman.

My opinion on your statement: Gene Robinson's becoming a bishop didn't do any "good" for a portion of members of one particular religion.

BTW & FYI, although I'm not a member, I'm part of the congregation at an Episcopal church. Kathy's a member. Not everyone at our church was thrilled w/ his becoming NH's bishop. But neither do most of them believe it's cause for a worldwide schism.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Re: Bishop Robinson

Originally posted by Bertha Venation
My opinion on your statement: Gene Robinson's becoming a bishop didn't do any "good" for a portion of members of one particular religion.

BTW & FYI, although I'm not a member, I'm part of the congregation at an Episcopal church. Kathy's a member. Not everyone at our church was thrilled w/ his becoming NH's bishop. But neither do most of them believe it's cause for a worldwide schism.

You might want to look at this article

In it, one ArchBishop, The Most Reverend Peter Akinola from Nigeria, the world's second largest Anglican province of 17 million, in that country, said that neither he nor approximately 18 other Bishops would recognize the New Hampshire Diocese of Bishop Gene V. Robinson, a divorced man who lives with his lover.

I can appreciate you and Kathy "not being thrilled" by this action, however there are a lot more people positively incensed at this outcome.

Over half of these Bishops , disagree with the consecration, but you do not feel it's cause for a worldwide schism?

Just what would you call that?

First, I suggest you rethink your position.

Second, I re-assert that this is not a good thing for religion, period.

Toxick

Splat
Originally posted by tlatchaw
Wow Toxic! Well put!:clap:

Thanks. Glad someone enjoyed my long-winded rambling. I had figured that everyone would read about 2 paragraphs into it, get bored, and move on.

I'm pretty sure that's what most are going to do.

That's what I would do :lol:

BuddyLee

Football addict
new record

haha this thread of mine might be a new record with the # of replies and the # of views lol.....whats my prize you guys decide lol

BuddyLee

Football addict
ahh

no way we already have one and i dont read it lol. just give me a bag of candy or something lol

mainman

Set Trippin
Re: ahh

Originally posted by BuddyLee
no way we already have one and i dont read it lol. just give me a bag of candy or something lol
Do you really lol every time you type it? lol :shrug: