Bridal Shower/Wedding

How do you give?

• Gift at bridal shower; nothing at wedding.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gift/money at both bridal shower and wedding.

Votes: 40 90.9%
  • Gift/money at wedding only.

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I was having a conversation a few moments ago with a coworker and we had conflicting argument regarding bridal shower/wedding etiquette. Which is the proper thing to do, or what is your practice?

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Chasey_Lane said:
I was having a conversation a few moments ago with a coworker and we had conflicting argument regarding bridal shower/wedding etiquette. Which is the proper thing to do, or what is your practice?

Where you talking to my fiancee?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Chasey_Lane said:

I don't understand your question? :confused:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Are you talking about the etiquette for hosting a bridal shower or hosting a wedding, or the etiquette for being a guest at a bridal shower or a wedding?

harleygirl

Working for the weekend
Chasey_Lane said:
Usually the maid of honor or a close friend would throw the shower before the wedding. Or, if you are going to elope or get married out of town, either the bride and groom or a close friend should have a post wedding gathering somewhere for all close/friends family members that did not come to the wedding, then gifts should be bought at that time.

BadGirl said:
Are you talking about the etiquette for hosting a bridal shower or hosting a wedding, or the etiquette for being a guest at a bridal shower or a wedding?
Read her poll choices and you will understand the question.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
BadGirl said:

I bet she started this poll to see who gives what so she can decide who to invite...

J/K :lmao:

Chasey, I assume this question was "in general" and not in relation to your pending marriage. Your choice in matrimony plans doesn't really allow for much expectation for a shower or wedding gifts...:shrug:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
kwillia said:
Chasey, I assume this question was "in general" and not in relation to your pending marriage. Your choice in matrimony plans doesn't really allow for much expectation for a shower or wedding gifts...:shrug:
Yep, in general. I'm not having a bridal shower or traditional ceremony, so I'm not expecting gifts. Besides, I only need two things: a blender and a crock pot. :lol:

Chasey_Lane said:
Yep, in general. I'm not having a bridal shower or traditional ceremony, so I'm not expecting gifts. Besides, I only need two things: a blender and a crock pot. :lol:
I assumed it was "in general" from reading your question and answer choices, but this thread seemed to be heading in a "personal" direction....:lol:

I give a gift at the shower and cash at the wedding.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
kwillia said:
I assumed it was "in general" from reading your question and answer choices, but this thread seemed to be heading in a "personal" direction....:lol:
What got me thinking was my coworker discussing an upcoming wedding for her nephew. She told me she had sent a gift for the shower (out of state) and would give money at the wedding. I've always given one - either at the shower or wedding, not at both. So I was just curious to hear what everyone else did or what the proper practice was. :smile:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
If I wasn't invited to the shower, I certainly wouldn't send a gift, but I would gift at the wedding if I were invited to that.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
RoseRed said:
If I wasn't invited to the shower, I certainly wouldn't send a gift, but I would gift at the wedding if I were invited to that.
Same here. However, if I'm invited to both, I would give a gift/money at the shower and nothing at the wedding. I don't see why I would give twice for the same event? :confused:

Chasey_Lane said:
What got me thinking was my coworker discussing an upcoming wedding for her nephew. She told me she had sent a gift for the shower (out of state) and would give money at the wedding. I've always given one - either at the shower or wedding, not at both. So I was just curious to hear what everyone else did or what the proper practice was. :smile:

It can also depend on circumstances. If it's someone I am close to I put more money and effort into the shower gift (for example, Pix will get the most lovely pair of Crocs I can find by March...:smile:), but if it's more of an aquaintance, I will select a "traditional/generic" gift that can be used or easily exchanged (or re-gifted later).

A side note... I abhor couples who ignore the original purpose of a shower (to assist a young couple just starting out in life by gifting them with things for their new household) and fill their wedding shower registries with elaborate items that they would never buy for themselves. Those couples tend to get an electric can opener ...:smile:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Chasey_Lane said:
Same here. However, if I'm invited to both, I would give a gift/money at the shower and nothing at the wedding. I don't see why I would give twice for the same event? :confused:

I understand where you are coming from, I wouldn't want to be double-dinged either. I have never been in the position that I was invited to both. :shrug: